PDA

View Full Version : What is worst 14.1 exhibition match you ever saw??

cueball1950
06-01-2006, 11:11 PM
I was just wondering what the worse 14.1 match was that you ever witnessed?
Mine would have to be the match between Dick Leonard (####leonard) and his mentor (Joe Canton) at riverdise billiards in Troy. These tables were so bad that neither player i don't believe ran more than 30 balls. It was the only exhibition where i ever saw 1 of the participants apologize to the crowd because of the bad playing conditions. They were terrible. Remember that one #####....................mike

cushioncrawler
06-02-2006, 02:51 AM
I was wondering what the bad conditions were.

In snooker a common complaint is that the bed is too slow (even when hot-ironed). Or, if the cushion cloth is old and worn (ie high friction), that the pockets are too tight. Or, often, the qball is too light, and takes a wide angle (top playerz carry a new qball in their case). Sometimes the lighting is lousy. Occasionally, one or more cushions take a funny angle -- uzually the ball rebounds too square (possibly koz the cushions are too high).

In English billiards, the complaint might be that the ball weights are non-even. Or that the cushions are old and worn (high friction) which makes some standard billiards shots too difficult, eg an in-off along the cushion with pocket-side and top on the qball. Or that the bed is too fast (good for snooker but bad for billiards).

DickLeonard
06-02-2006, 05:11 AM
Mike thank God I only remember the good ones, well some of the bads haunt me. Bobby Cocca was the proprietor if my memory serves me. I still can't remember it but I'll probably have a nightmare tonight and report back tomorrow.####

cueball1950
06-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Dick....Pete, who worked also for Marshal Ray ran it for the owner. I thought Dusty owned it at the time. i know that if you played a soft shot down the rail it would roll out about 2 inches, and that if you tried to bank a ball you had no idea where it was going. i also remember that the pockets were cut funny. you have to remember this place Dick.. it was right across from your all time favorite, (or was that Turks) bar on River Street. The "ALE HOUSE". Does it ring a bell now????????mike

Deeman3
06-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Mike,

In the late 60's, Jimmy caras was giving an exhibition on aSears table in Amarillo, Texas. He says, "The heck with slate, this "Slateen" is much tougher." He then slams a ball down onto the table and it leaves about a two inch deep divot under the cloth. He continues on with the exhibition and had to do his whole show around that bad place in the table. I was helping him so me and the really close people saw what was going on. To his credit, you would have never known about it if you were in the second row of the crowd. A nice, gentle man with an underated career.

Deeman

DickLeonard
06-15-2006, 06:27 AM
Deeman I just read your post on Jimmy Caras being underated. I think after Winning the 1967 US Open in Lansing Mich he had earned everyones respect. If my memory serves me he lost his first game then won his next 11 games to Win the Title. Barbara would know his age then but he had to be late 50s early 60s.

A great demonstration of his ability to pocket balls and play safety. ####

Barbara
06-15-2006, 10:58 AM
####,

Jimmy was 59 at the time and had retired from playing pool a while before that event.

He lost his first match to Luther Lassiter, then ran through the B side of the chart to meet up with Wimpy again. This time though, Jimmy beat Wimpy twice to win.

I have the set of balls that were used for the finals. Jimmy even signed a COA for me.

Barbara

Fran Crimi
06-15-2006, 11:11 AM
COA....

Coat of Arms?

Chart of Acccounts?

Case of Absolute?

I'm out of ideas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Do tell, Barbara.

Fran

Barbara
06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> COA....

Coat of Arms?

Chart of Acccounts?

Case of Absolute?

I'm out of ideas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Do tell, Barbara.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

LOL!! Certificate Of Authenticity.

Barbara

Fran Crimi
06-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Ha! Silly me. Thanks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

DickLeonard
06-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Barbara I know I played in that Open but I am having trouble remembering who I played but I did watch many of his games. I remember his safety play being outstanding, something that todays player aren't faced with.

Now it is coming back to me I lost to Louie Butera, that was the first time I experienced the Machine Gun. I remember the feeling of sitting in the chair and 15 minutes later I am down by 95 balls. That feeling was hard to overcome, you feel that to win you have to go a fast as Louie. Destroying your natural rythymn.

That tourney was the Birth of Jeanie Balukas was she 9 or 11 playing in that event?####