PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Model 26-1/2 cue

leonkush
06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I have a Brunswick Model 26-1/2 cue - maple front, four rosewood points and butt sleave with four veneers on points and original good condition GOLD cirle with RED field 'Brunswick Balke Collender' decal at the bottom. Circla 1912-1929. The cue is mentioned on page 197 of the Blue Book of Pool Cues 3rd edition.

The cue was originally a one piece - and has recently been converted by Rodger Corsair of Corsair Custom Cues and fitted an Ivory Joint, Ivory Ferrule and Ivory shaft ring. Rodger also fitted a new 314 shaft. The shaft joints where all made using the style and materials of the era.

The original shaft probably due to ageing has a very slight bend near the tip but rolls fairly even. The shafts and butt have white fitted joint protectors.

The cue is in excellent condition with a lovley dark oiled antique sheen throughout the wood. The cue came from a private home and is in almost mint condition.

I have posted some pictures of the cue on this webpage http://schoolofcolor.com/cuepics.html Better Photos should be coming shortly...

Can anyone tell me what one of these cues would be valued.

Leon

Scott Lee
06-02-2006, 04:07 PM
The real value in the cue, as an antique, was destroyed, the minute you made it into a two piece cue. Old antique pool cues retain their value as original pieces. What you have now, is a nice cue, that, hopefully, you enjoy playing with. It was probably worth several hundred dollars before you messed with it, especially if the decals were in excellent condition. Now, it's value is arbitrary...but collectors are not likely to be too interested (even if you wanted to sell it). The premium prices are commanded from older cues, in original condition (no refinishing), and the highest prices are paid for the best original condition cues. Not saying you made a poor choice, because the cue is probably very nice looking now, and hopefully plays well too. However, if you were looking to sell it for much,
you went the wrong direction. Hope this helps...

Scott Lee

leonkush
06-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks Scott,

I see Titlist conversions with Ivory joints and Ferrules etc go for $1000+ As this is an older cue would it be in that price range?

I think I spent $500 odd for the work and materials...

Leon

Scott Lee
06-03-2006, 12:39 AM
A cue is worth what someone will pay for it. If you're looking to sell it, perhaps you should email some of the collectors, or post it in the 'for sale' forum on AzBilliards. There are people there who are much better qualified to give you a more accurate idea of it's value.
Best of luck to you. Personally, I would keep it, especially after paying for that much work. At the least, it's an interesting conversation piece! Do you like the way the cue plays?

Scott Lee

leonkush
06-05-2006, 08:40 PM
The cue plays very nice. The hit is very unique, probably a mixure of the ivory joint and Ferrule and old wood.

I already have a playing cue but may look at using it if I cannot sell it.

Cheers