PDA

View Full Version : Female Genital mutilation 'torture'

SnakebyteXX
06-02-2006, 06:13 PM
02/06/2006 09:45 - (SA)

Bradley S. Klapper

Geneva - The World Health Organisation said on Friday that female genital mutilation is a form of "torture" that must be stamped out, even if it is performed by trained medical personnel.

The "medicalisation" of female genital mutilation - often called female circumcision and also known as FGM - fails to prevent innocent girls from being permanently scarred by the procedure, threatening them as adults when giving birth and endangering the lives of their newborn babies, WHO said in unveiling a report on genital mutilation's maternal health effects.

Performing genital mutilation "is the worst thing that a medical doctor could possibly do," said Joy Phumaphi, WHO assistant director-general and a former health minister from Botswana.

"It is even worse than turning a blind eye, because you are legitimising violation of a basic human right and violence against an innocent victim."

There can be no justification for doctors and nurses "to come and supervise the torture," Phumaphi said.

100 million mutilated

Genital mutilation is practised primarily in parts of sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East. It normally is performed on girls under 10. More than 100 million women and girls worldwide are believed to have been genitally mutilated, the UN health agency said.

The mutilation usually involves removal of the clitoris. Those who advocate it believe it tames a girl's sexual desires, maintains her honour and increases her marriageability. It is practised by both Muslims and Christians.

An estimated three million women and girls undergo genital mutilation each year, according to Unicef. Nearly half of the girls affected annually are in Egypt and Ethiopia, but groups continue the rite in at least two dozen other countries.

'A horrendous practice'

"When the world is trying to save animals, when the world is trying to save plants, women in Africa are subjected to unnecessary torture in the name of tradition," said Berhane Ras-Work, president of the non-governmental group IAC, which campaigns against genital mutilation.

"It is a horrendous practice, it should not be allowed, it should be condemned, it should be stopped."

Birth risk

WHO's study, published on Friday in The Lancet medical journal, found that women who have suffered the most serious form of genital mutilation have a 70% greater chance of experiencing post-childbirth haemorrhage compared with women who weren't mutilated.

In countries where childbirth mortality rates for women are already high, "this particular process is practically a death sentence for them," Phumaphi said.

Children of genitally mutilated women also are at greater risk, the study found. Depending on the severity of the mutilation, neonatal death rates for these children range from 15 to 55% higher compared to other babies.

Countries stamping it out

WHO's study involved over 28 000 women in six African countries where FGM is common - Burkina Faso, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal and Sudan.

Ras-Work said some countries in Africa were doing better than others in trying to snuff out the practice. She cited Burkina Faso and Senegal as positive examples of where attitudes were being changed and FGM was declining.

While all 28 countries mentioned in the report have pledged to combat genital mutilation, most have failed to enforce laws or implement policies aimed at eradicating the practice, Ras-Work said.

Chad, Djibouti, Sierra Leone and Sudan are examples of countries that need to do more, she said.

web page (http://www.news24.com/News24/Africa/News/0,,2-11-1447_1944024,00.html)

Gayle in MD
06-03-2006, 08:19 AM
AH, the beauty of organized religion! I'm surprised these religious right wing nuts in this country don't have Bush out there campaigning for mutilations right here in America!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

pooltchr
06-03-2006, 12:20 PM
I would be surprised to find any religious organization in this country that would support this barbaric custom. I am not surprised that you would use something this tragic practice in third world countries as a platform to attack the religious community or the President. If you were speaking in jest, I don't think it's something to joke about. And if you are serious....well...I won't even go there.
I really think that sometimes your hatred for the President clouds your judgement.
What are you going to do with yourself when he is gone from office and you have nothing left to complain about?

Gayle in MD
06-04-2006, 04:41 AM
Couldn't resist your usual insulting diatribe against me? Ah, such power, you are helplessly, hopelessly drawn to my posts, in spite of your resolution not to read them anymore.

Why, pray tell, would you think the opinions of someone who voted twice for Bush, would hold any value to someone like me, who saw him for what he was before he ever illegally crashed his way into the White House?

I won't bore you with the factual information regarding estimates of the number of children being raped daily in this country by religious leaders. The numbers in the Morman sect alone, are in the many thousands. You just keep your little head firmly burried in that dogmatic sand of yours, and be sure to keep a check on your blood pressure. And rather than worry about my emotions, you had better address your own issues,... the hatred you regularly spew out at me, and women in general, should be your focus, not my political opinions. FYI, People like me don't hate other people, just the things they say and do.

Gayle in Md.

cueball1950
06-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Believe it or not. Law & Order did an episode on this very subject. The 11 year old girls grandparents paid a doctor to come from their country to perform this very thing. well the father,(who was american) was so against it that he killed the doctor trying to stop it. In the end the little girl went to live with her american grandparents after her mother (foreign born) gave up custody. sorry i can't remember the name of the country................mike

pooltchr
06-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Just can't stick to the topic, can you?
Steve

Gayle in MD
06-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Steve Writes...
I am not surprised that you would use something this tragic practice in third world countries as a platform to attack the religious community or the President. If you were speaking in jest, I don't think it's something to joke about. And if you are serious....well...I won't even go there.
I really think that sometimes your hatred for the President clouds your judgement.
What are you going to do with yourself when he is gone from office and you have nothing left to complain about?

You call this sticking to the subject? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gayle in Md.

DickLeonard
06-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Pooltchr the idiot in the White House sent a preacher of abstinence to the WHO conference on AIDS and he wasn't allowed to speak because that isn't science. Then the US cut funding to the WHO.

There is a vaccine for HPV virus which causes cervical cancer but the right wing whacko's, Bush included thinks it causes promiscuity. Girls must get injected near the age of 12 for it to work. So death is the price of sin but not for man only the women. She could be a virgin at her wedding and still get the virus from her husband.

Search the New Yorker for the article titled POlitical Science.####

SnakebyteXX
06-05-2006, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I would be surprised to find any religious organization in this country that would support this barbaric custom. <hr /></blockquote>

Perhaps not, however you might not be surprised at all to find that many of those same religious organizations support the practice of circumsision - a form of male genital mutilation.

It's ironic how one culture's ideas of what's 'proper' (female genital mutilation) can horrify member's of another culture (ours) without it ever occurring to them that they also commonly accept as 'proper' the mutilation of male genitalia (circumsision).

Go figure.

Snake

Deeman3
06-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Snake,

I've been mutilated? Oh, No. Help! Help! and I wasn't even Jewish.

Deeman
anyone seen my Fo**skin laying around, musta lost it in 1952....