PDA

View Full Version : Breaking trouble! I went to watch some pro 8-ball

Billy_Bob
06-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Well I drove all the way up to Seattle to watch a bit of the IPT pro qualifier tournament.

I went because I am working on my 8-ball break. I thought I would go see how the "big boys" do this and learn something...

I watched break after break after break. They are no better than I am at this and were having the same problems I have! So I didn't learn any easy tricks about breaking. Many of the pros were basically breaking the same way I do - CB center of table, draw cue ball straight back.

They were having trouble making a ball on the break, but could get a good spread of the balls. I think the cloth was a slower cloth than usually found on 9 ft. tables, but I don't know for sure. So that may have been the trouble

[Note I did not watch *all* the pros, just a few. There may have been others I did not see who were having better luck .]

So anyway one guy would break, good spread, but no ball pocketed. Then the other guy would runout. This happened again and again. They seemed to be trying different speeds, but didn't have much luck.

They all seemed to be able to runout most of the time if given a shot at the table, so the deciding factor as to who won the match seemed to be the player who could sometimes break *and* pocket a ball. Gave him one up on the other guy.

Seemed to me in this situation, it would be to the players advantage (if they had the break), to let their opponent break, Then their opponent would break, nice spread, no ball pocketed, then the other player runs out. Sort of like 14.1 where if you get the break, you "let" your opponent break...

I play 8-ball on a 7 ft. bar table and with championship 3030 cloth, I can many times in a row (if playing well) break, CB center of table, shoot dead center, slower break, draw CB straight back. I pocket at least one ball and get a good spread. A faster break does not get as good a spread of the balls and may not pocket anything.

BUT... If playing on a 7 ft. table with slow cloth and trying the same break, it does not work. I think the cloth is slowing down the balls so they never make it to the pocket????

So seems to me faster breaks (8-ball) do not pocket balls for some reason, yet slower cloth would require a faster break? Also I read something about the "entire rack" sliding back a bit before spreading with a faster break. Maybe that is what it is?

Comments?

tjlmbklr
06-04-2006, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Well I drove all the way up to Seattle to watch a bit of the IPT..............
<hr /></blockquote>

I am right there with ya brother. I even bought a custom J/B cue and still have issues. The Kevin Varney cue i use has canvas resin tip that holds the chalk well. If I go for the side break(kind of like I was going for the 8-ball) I can take some off the power and still use bottom english with out miss cueing. I aim for the second ball and they usually spred pretty good and I almost always make at least one ball. Of course you probably do no want the 8 to fall in the league/tourny's that you play but at least you get a good spred, just hope the 8 doesn't fall.

walt8880
06-04-2006, 09:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Well I drove all the way up to Seattle to watch a bit of the IPT..............
<hr /></blockquote>

I am right there with ya brother. I even bought a custom J/B cue and still have issues. The Kevin Varney cue i use has canvas resin tip that holds the chalk well. If I go for the side break(kind of like I was going for the 8-ball) I can take some off the power and still use bottom english with out miss cueing. I aim for the second ball and they usually spred pretty good and I almost always make at least one ball. Of course you probably do no want the 8 to fall in the league/tourny's that you play but at least you get a good spred, just hope the 8 doesn't fall. <hr /></blockquote>

Problem is that IPT rules are set up to make potting balls on the break more difficult. No phenolic tips allowed, must break from inside the box with no rail breaks and, must hit the head ball first.

tjlmbklr
06-05-2006, 05:43 AM
Ohhh, I did not know that. Thanks walt8880

Eric.
06-05-2006, 05:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr>

I watched break after break after break. They are no better than I am at this and were having the same problems I have! So I didn't learn any easy tricks about breaking. Many of the pros were basically breaking the same way I do - CB center of table, draw cue ball straight back.
<hr /></blockquote>

Did you share your tips with any of them? I would imagine that you could have helped many (all?) of them a bit.

Eric

ceebee
06-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Quote....Many of the pros were basically breaking the same way I do - Cue Ball center of table, draw Cue Ball straight back. Unquote

I'm not sure, but I don't think the pros are DRAWING the Cue Ball back. The idea is to hit the rack squarely, release the energy into the rack &amp; park the Cue Ball at midtable.

There is a Draw Stroke 8 Ball break shot, where the player is trying to get the lead ball to return the adjacent corner pocket or the 2nd row balls into the side pocket.

Normal Break Shot (for some) If the Cue Ball hits the rack, as a stun shot (center cue ball hit &amp; square hit with lead object ball in the rack), it will still rebound like dropping the cue ball on a hard floor (a solid object). To overcome this unwanted rebound, add slight Top Spin. The forward spin acts as a brake to stop the Cue Ball mid table.

After talking with a few Pros, about the Break Shot &amp; the IPT, it is a consensus that a square hit on the lead ball &amp; Cue Ball control after Impact, is the goal.

Joe Tucker suggests shooting at the Rack, from 2-3 inches aside from the longstring.

Good Luck...

PoolSharkAllen
06-05-2006, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>
Normal Break Shot (for some) If the Cue Ball hits the rack, as a stun shot (center cue ball hit &amp; square hit with lead object ball in the rack), it will still rebound like dropping the cue ball on a hard floor (a solid object). To overcome this unwanted rebound, add slight Top Spin. The forward spin acts as a brake to stop the Cue Ball mid table.
<hr /></blockquote>

Another self-correcting guideline is to notice where the cue ends up after impact with the lead ball. If the CB goes too far forward, then apply a bit more draw on the break. If the CB goes too far back to the head of the table, then apply more topspin on the break.

allstar
06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I got a few pointers from roy yamane. He is a bca master and teacher for 35 years. Grip your cue with your ring finger and pinkie. Your thumb should only guide the stroke. This allows for a better follow thru and more snap of the wrist. I get a lot more action on the cue ball doing this. Try it and let me know

tjlmbklr
06-05-2006, 07:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote allstar:</font><hr> I got a few pointers from roy yamane. He is a bca master and teacher for 35 years. Grip your cue with your ring finger and pinkie. Your thumb should only guide the stroke. This allows for a better follow thru and more snap of the wrist. I get a lot more action on the cue ball doing this. Try it and let me know <hr /></blockquote>

I have 8-ball league tomorrow and I'll let you all know how it works.

pooltchr
06-05-2006, 08:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote allstar:</font><hr> I got a few pointers from roy yamane. He is a bca master and teacher for 35 years. Grip your cue with your ring finger and pinkie. Your thumb should only guide the stroke. This allows for a better follow thru and more snap of the wrist. I get a lot more action on the cue ball doing this. Try it and let me know <hr /></blockquote>

I have 8-ball league tomorrow and I'll let you all know how it works. <hr /></blockquote>

League night is not the time to try out new things. That is what practice time is for. If you are doing things that haven't become natural to you yet while you are playing a match, you are asking for trouble.
Steve