PDA

View Full Version : If MLB players went on strike,

Cueless Joey
07-09-2002, 06:10 PM
do you think we'll see more pool on tv? Poor baseball players, they only average around 2 million dollars a year in salary ( they only play 6-8 months), might go on strike. They don't want a salary cap b/c they need to buy a house every two weeks or so.
Seriously, ESPN is not going to show minor-league bball to fill up all the airtime lost, are they? Maybe they can talk to Bill Cayton, ex-manager of Mike Tyson who OWNS all old boxing AND pool films, to show some on ESPN classic. I have never seen Crane, Greenleaf, Lassiter and co. play.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Naw.. they will show repeats of the x-games.. or Austrialian rules Football... or if we get lucky.. old NASCAR reruns.. (does anyone else think 'reruns' for NASCAR, sounds funny?)

Cueless Joey
07-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Tom, you forgot bass fishing. lol
Jeesh, at least show some WPBA matches.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Bass fishing is good. I like bass fishing. I watch it every Saturday morning on ESPN2..... it gives me a new perspective on POOL.. Fish..

07-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Are you telling me even Bass fishing has a regular weekly time slot and pool doesn't? Who organizes and runs bass fishing? Maybe the powers that be in pool can contact them for some advice.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-09-2002, 07:32 PM
Eddie,

Even the BASS fishing industry is bigger than Pool....

The "Powers that be" in the pool world are lacking in POWER, period!

BCA, VNEA, APA, TAP, WPBA, UPA and countless other regional tours and occasional Promoters, can't get it done..

There is way too much competition from BaseBall, FootBall, BasketBall, Golf and any other MAJOR Professional Sport that I failed to mention.. for Pool to break into the weekly scheduled events..

We don't have the $ or numbers of sponsers or industry backing to even think about a weekly televised Pool show..

Cueless Joey
07-09-2002, 07:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> Are you telling me even Bass fishing has a regular weekly time slot and pool doesn't? Who organizes and runs bass fishing? Maybe the powers that be in pool can contact them for some advice. <hr></blockquote>
Eddie, I hate to break it to you but they even had a MILLION dollar purse in bass fishing last year on Fox.

PQQLK9
07-09-2002, 07:46 PM
I was at the PH last night when the match between KC and JL came on (I put the TV on ESPN) and even the railbirds at the bar did not seem insterested??? Makes me wonder....Hey Tom by the way ...that was a great opening ceremony on the Baseball All Star game....I got teary eyed looking at all the great ones being there...I was looking for Charlie Hustle ...oh well maybe one day.....

Tom_In_Cincy
07-09-2002, 08:04 PM
I'm not a big Pete Rose fan.. but what they did for the Hall of Fame rules changes.. was a shame..

Pete Rose is already in the Hall.. many times.. because of the association with Baseball teams and his personal records. He's just not a member of the Hall of Fame.

All Star Game on in the other room (National League fan for almost 50 years), and I am watching and surfing.. on an off.. BaseBall there will always be Baseball.. (unless the players strike again)

SPetty
07-10-2002, 10:39 AM
Hi Tom,

Here's another perspective from my non-pool-playing best friend (and maybe a hint of why pool's not on TV more...):

"The only thing more boring than watching people play pool is watching people fish"!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Bass fishing is good. I like bass fishing. I watch it every Saturday morning on ESPN2..... it gives me a new perspective on POOL.. Fish.. <hr></blockquote>

Vapros
07-10-2002, 07:46 PM
Let's face it. Pool on TV is only for pool players, and we won't get a helluva lot of it even if the baseball players strike. There will be replays of World Series, All-Star Games and Homerun Derbies and footage of Bud Selig and player reps entering and leaving the negotiations. You will see Andy Griffith and police chases and people caught in the act by hidden cameras.

You can't really blame the networks. It's all about money and they wouldn't carry the NFL or the NBA if nobody wanted to buy the advertising. Or fishing. We are not a big enough market to draw sponsors, and we don't have a very good public image.

I'll tell you what would help. We need someone like Bill Dance, for starters. I mean that. You don't even have to like fishing to like Bill Dance. It's charisma, and we don't have much of it. If we had some, we might be able to sell it.

If the baseball players walk out and leave gaps in the programming, we'll see exactly where we stand in the food chain. I hope it's higher than I suspect it is.