PDA

View Full Version : Redoing Rails?

Terry
06-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Four years ago I got rid of my 8' table and bought a 9' table. I bought my 9'er at the 2002 Canadian 9-ball championships where it was used for 7 or 8 days. I found that the five inch corner pockets as well as the side pockets were a little generous so I made them 1/2" smaller by putting a 1/4" rubber facing on all cushion ends. This made my pockets smaller but when a ball would hit close to a pocket the added rubber would deadin the ball. I've also had trouble with my cushions coming loose in spots and reglued them several times. I decided I would redo my table and try and make it a faster more challenging table. I'm not sure when i'm going to start the job but it'll be somewhere between the end of June -September. I've just received my new Artemis cushions along with new pocket facings and feather strips, i've also just recieved my new tournament blue 860 felt. I have a couple of areas where I would like some ideas.

1) I'm thinking i'll use the same angles entering the pockets as my original cushions have. I'm also thinking of making the corner pockets 4 1/2" wide from tip to tip ( entering pocket ) and the side pockets relative. Should I use the same angles from the original cushions or is their a certain angle for top notch tables? Should I make my pockets 4 1/2" or a bit smaller ( 4 1/4" )?

2) When taking my old rails off I don't want to damage them if their is no need to, what is the best way to remove old rails without damaging them? How should I prepare the rails to get rid of any old glue residue and not have a negative effect on the adhesiveness of the new glue? What would be the best glue to use on the new cushions so I don't have the same trouble I had with the old cushions coming loose in spots? Thanks, Terry

TennesseeJoe
06-06-2006, 06:53 AM
You have asked excellent questions but I suggest a highly qualified professional do the installation for these reasons:
1. Old rails can be difficult to remove depending on how they were glued.
2. You have purchased high quality materials and I suspect you want the best job.
3. You do not want to ruin any of the new materials.
4. Are you sure you have the correct rail rubber?
5. The vertical and horizontal pocket angles are both important.
6. You may help the installer this time so you can do the job right next time.

Terry
06-07-2006, 04:06 AM
Hi Joe, your right, I want to use quality parts in redoing my table. The Artemis cushions I got are the right profile ( K66 ) for my table. We don't have any professionals around here to do the job so i'm going to tackle it myself. I've built a nice 4'x 8' oak light for my table with four 8' flouresent tubes in it which gives a nice even light on the whole table, i've also setup a few tables and put new felt on rails and tables ( at no cost ) for a few friends, I know this doesn't make me qualified to install new cushions but I think if I can get a couple of pointers here and take my time it will turn out fine. Thanks, Terry

pooljunkie73
06-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Terry, Bob Hargrove set them up at the Canadians. He knows those tables inside and out, if you want his number let me know and I'll get it for you.

Kent

DickLeonard
06-08-2006, 05:34 AM
Terry if your going to tighten up the pockets it is best to add a wooden shim to glue your rubber to. Don't just add facings it gives the pockets a bad hit. This procedure as been discussed at length in previous posts. ####

Terry
06-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Hi Dick, yes, I will definitely add a peice of wood backing to the rail to accommodate the extended cushion.Thanks, Terry

Terry
06-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Hi Kent, Thanks for offering the help. I already have Bob's number's. Actually, I bought my table from Bob in Saint John in 2002. I've talked to Bob many times on the phone as well as in person. In 2004 at the Eastern Canadians I took all my rails to Bob and got him to reglue my cushions and put a 1/4" shim on the end of each cushion. When a ball hits close to the pocket the ball deadens which is not Bob's fault, I knew when I got bob to do the job that it wasn't the best way to tighten the pockets. When the cushions came loose again I decided i'd put new cushions on and tighten the pockets the right way ( with actual cushion ).Since I was changing the cushions I decided to go with Artemis and do the felt at the same time. I know Bob would do a good job but I think i'm going to take my time and do it myself. I'll take the extra time and make templates for cutting the cushions so they'll be exact and hopefully i'll choose a glue that doesn't allow the cushions to come loose.

I plan on going to the Easterns as well as the Thorne this coming season so I hope I get a chance to meet you as I don't think we met at either of those events the last time I was at them. Thanks, Terry