PDA

View Full Version : New Defensive Game

jt10ball
06-06-2006, 06:07 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has already come up with a game like this and if they have I apologize.

Was giving a lesson this past weekend and itís always tough to give a good lesson on 9 ball safeties and kicking safe because thereís so many different situations that come up and what I usually do is make it so we play 9 ball/10ball but are only allowed to play safe but balls hang up or youíre left with an easy shot that you would never play safe on. So what we did was play similar to the 1pocket spot of one and stop but kept score by receiving 1 point for every ball you made thereby creating a penalty for selling out a ball and this also made for a good battle on those last few balls. I would like some of us here to try it and see how they like it and maybe find some bugs or rules that might be appropriate.

You could play by yourself but I would like to see how it feels to you with an opponent.
Break a rack of 9, 10 or 15 balls, (might be good for 8 ball also) spot any balls made on the break and the incoming players has to push out to start the game. After this you receive 1 point for any ball you make, you can only make 1 in a row and then must play safe, if you make 2 in a row the 2nd ball spots (no penalty and could be a good way to play safe if a ball is hanging in a pocket). One possible way to score 2 in a row would be if you kicked your first shot in, then made a ball and then played safe, bonus for kicking one in?
Any way I thought it was kind of interesting and giving the option of making your first shot at least allowed you to play position for the next safe.

Give it go and let us know how you made out.
Oh yeah, you donít have to play by the rack, you can play a race to however many points you choose. I would think a race to 21 points would be good.

pooltchr
06-06-2006, 06:57 AM
I've been working with two young men (brothers) and last week they wanted to work on defense. I had them playing 9 ball...but the only way to win a game was to 3-foul your opponent. Then I sat back and coached both of them against each other for about an hour. They loved it, and we got to look at a lot of different safety options.
Steve

Terry
06-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Sometimes i'll shoot with my daughter in a different way. There is no winner per say, i'll shoot all offence and she'll shoot all defence to see how long she can prolong the game and the whole time THINKING safety, we'll then reverse the rolls so she'll be getting out of my safeties and run. It's important for players to realize they cannot win much with a one dimentional game. Terry

Tom_In_Cincy
06-06-2006, 10:58 AM
I watched Efren and Corey Duel play this for about 2 hours during the Players meeting at the US Open 9 Ball event in 2002 or 2003. It was simply the most impressive exhibition of using the rails and cue ball speed I've ever seen. Both players were showing levels of skill I'd only seen either of them play occasionally.

Kicking and masse were the common shots. There was a small crowd of about 20 players watching and making those sounds you hear on great shots, almost everytime Corey or Efren was shooting these crowd pleasers. As you can imagine, the skill level of the 'rail' was pretty high, which made the acollades even more impressive.