PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on defect or not in Mcdermott cue case

dharmalism
06-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi everyone I was wondering if i could get some opinions on what I think is a defect in a Mcdermott cue case. My friend brought a Shooters collection SC 2X2 cue case made by Mcdermott at a local place in Pelham NH. He owns a balabushka cue with the new OB-1 shaft. One of the compartments for the shafts seems to be too short and the shaft sticks a good 1/4 inch above the case top. He showed me this and said that the store told him there was nothing he could do about it and it was fine. He showed me that he could push the shaft down into the compartment and close the lid putting a lot of pressure on the shaft. Now I am asking people their opinion. I think that much vertical pressure on a shaft will definitely begin to warp the shaft over time. The second shaft compartment fits fine with space to spare but since he has 2 shafts this will not do. My friend told me when he went back to the store they told him his aftermarket shaft was to long (OB-1). If so how come all of our shafts on the pool team and his original one does not fit in that one compartment too. Now I know it is a relatively cheap cue case but regardless it is a cue case that is meant to give any cue some protection and it is reasonable to say that it should not harm a cue at the very least. Does Mcdermott have some kind of no return period policy? Or do stores have to soak up the cost for defective merchandise? Please anyone with some opipnions would be much appreciated. I think I will e-mail Mcdermott directly with this. I myself have always had good results @ the retail store it was brought @ so that is why I did not post their name. I don't know if I am overreacting to the vertical pressure thing or not.
Any advice would be great.

Sincerely,
Dharma

SPetty
06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi dharmalism,

I just recently bought (yet another) cue case, and I tested out the holes before actually paying for it. I felt silly at the time, but now your post makes me feel not silly.

Isn't the OB-1 shaft (my favorite, by the way) the same length as the other shafts? If all the shafts fit in the one hole and none of the shafts fit in the other hole, which is how your description sounds, then of course there is a problem with the case.

I don't fully understand the vertical pressure on a 1/4" sticking up - I would think that the top is padded enough to take that with no problem. It doesn't seem that there is all that much vertical pressure on the stick.

I know if I bought a cue case from my local store and it was like you described, they would take it back no questions asked. I'm surprised that the store is arguing about it.

Let us know what McDermott's answer is. Good luck.

dharmalism
06-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I will let you know when they respond
thanks
dharma