PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Stakes is this week

dg-in-centralpa
06-07-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm heading to the Belmont this week. Anybody want anything? Just PM me and let me know. Souvenir glasses are about $4.50 and programs are $3.00. I've got Cueball1950 and Ryushen covered. Anybody else?

DG

Deeman3
06-07-2006, 09:19 AM
DG,

Tori loved the Belmont stakes and would be very grateful if you could get her a set of glasses (2). P.M. me an address and I'll forward the money. Let me know what you think shipping will cost. I have taken her to the Derby, Belmont and Preakness and she loved the Preakness and Belmont, thought the Derby was not as good!!!

By the way, we will motorcycle up to York over the July 4th holiday so we could always pick them up when we meet at a local pool hall. Sound like a better idea?

Thanks,

Deeman

dg-in-centralpa
06-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Deeman,
No need to send money now, wait until the 4th of July weekend. That works for me. Do you want a program?

DG

Deeman3
06-07-2006, 07:45 PM
No, no program but one of those little lapel pins they sell would be great as well if you get the chance.

Just for this I'll never tell Mrs. DG about the Amish Strippers....JK

Deeman

Sid_Vicious
06-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Chk yr pmz Duane. lemme know...sid

wolfdancer
06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Amish strippers....mind boogling. I once knew a Greyhound bus driver that said an Amish girl would get on his bus on the weekends sometimes, but he never noticed her getting off. He finally figured out she was changing to normal clothes in the rest room......well, it might just be an urban legend.....but I hope she did get off, on the weekends...

wolfdancer
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Hey, has a three legged horse ever won...or should I just tear up my Barbaro ticket?

DickLeonard
06-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Wolfdancer I lost all interest in the Belmont after the Preakness I so wanted a Pennslyvania horse to win the Triple Crown. I love watcing our OTB channel for the Belmont, they always replay Secretariat's Belmont for the fans. I have seen it a hundred times and I am still amazed at his performance.####

dg-in-centralpa
06-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Will do buddy. Looking forward to the 4th.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
06-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Check your pm.

Duane

dg-in-centralpa
06-08-2006, 06:59 AM
This is no urban legend. The Amish youth would go in to the bus terminal where they kept a locker, change into normal civilian clothes and be just as rowdy as regular youth.
DG

dg-in-centralpa
06-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Dick,
That was some race. Ron Turcotte, Secretariats' jockey, has been at the Belmont the past 2-3 years signing autographs and posing for pictures. People just love him and he's happy that they still remember him. Even tho' the race will not have as much meaning this year, it'll still be fun. This will be my6th or 7th time being there.

DG

Barbara
06-08-2006, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> By the way, we will motorcycle up to York over the July 4th holiday so we could always pick them up when we meet at a local pool hall. Sound like a better idea?

Thanks,

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Oh yeah? Where are you motorcycling from??

Barbara

Deeman3
06-08-2006, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> By the way, we will motorcycle up to York over the July 4th holiday so we could always pick them up when we meet at a local pool hall. Sound like a better idea?

Thanks,

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Oh yeah? Where are you motorcycling from??

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara,

I am coming from Southern Alabama. My wife's son lives in Harrisburg. When we left York he was still livng with us, he decided to stay in Pennsylvania, guess he likes the snow!

Tori (Deewoman) wants to see some to the east coast on the way up and sort of make a few stops along the way. We are making a nine day trip out of it, if thngs go as planned.

Deeman

dg-in-centralpa
06-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Come close. Several years ago Charismatic broke a leg about 100 yards from the finish and ended in 3rd place. Almost won.

DG

DickLeonard
06-09-2006, 05:51 AM
DG I always wondered what his time would have been if there was a horse chasing him. I saw somwhere that Secretariat was voted in the ten Greatest Athlete's of the 20th century.####

Fran Crimi
06-09-2006, 06:17 AM
I have to give you credit for your willingness to buck the crowds. I went to the Belmont Stakes once and said never again.

I took this photo of Affirmed crossing the finish line with Stevie Cauthen. I waited two hours by the finish line to get the photo. It turned out pretty amazing as both horses had all fours in the air.

http://hometown.aol.com/francrimi/images/affirmed.jpg

wolfdancer
06-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Fran, great photo !!! I remember there was a controversy about whether a horse ever had all four off the ground...and a high speed camera finally proved it.
I Googled Steve Cauthen....and found this:
Seventeen years later, Steve Cauthen did just that when his face graced the cover of Sports Illustrated, donned in his pink silks, smiling ear to ear, the teenager became the first jockey to receive the title Sportsman of the Year, beating out Muhamed Ali and Reggie Jackson and to date, the only jockey to receive this prestigious sports title after 447 winning rides in 1977.
Steve went to Europe as I remember, and disappeared...here's a short bio:
Cauthen's father was a blacksmith, his mother a horse trainer, and he began riding horses at a gallop when he was five. As a young teen-ager, he decided he wanted to be a jockey. He made a pact with his parents that, if weight became a problem, he'd give it up rather than going through starvation diets and steam rooms.

He rode his first race on May 12, 1976, and he won for the first time on May 27, formally becoming an apprentice. At River Downs, Cauthen set a track record by riding 94 winners in 50 days. He went from there to Arlington Park in Chicago, then east to Aqueduct and Belmont.

One racing columnist wrote of him, during his first year in the east, "He gets horses relaxed, feeling good. Even the real goof-offs seem to run for him." As a full-fledged jockey in 1977, Cauthen won a record $6.1 million in purses, was named the Eclipse Award winner as the nation's top rider, and was the Associated Press male athlete of the year.

In 1978, Cauthen became the youngest jockey to win the triple crown, riding Affirmed to victories in the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont. The Belmont win was one of the most exciting ever in triple crown history, as Cauthen whipped Affirmed across the finish line a bare head beyond Alydar.

Cauthen ran into problems in 1979, riding 110 consecutive races without a win, and then accepted an offer of well over $1 million to ride in England. He spent the rest of his career there and was the English champion in 1984, 1985, and 1987.

At the end of the 1985 season, Cauthen went into an alcohol dependency program in Cincinnati, worried that he might be drinking too much. He said later that he wasn't an alcoholic. In 1988, he broke his neck in a fall and spent seven months recuperating.

Cauthen retired from jockeying at the age of thirty-three, recently married and about to become a father. He has worked as a television commentator and raised horses in his native Kentucky.
There is also a good write-up on the stretch duel in the Belmont Affirmed and Alydar web page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmed)

dg-in-centralpa
06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
ESPN did have him as one of the 10 best athletes. Very good show. Some didn't understand the athlete term for an animal until after the show.

DG - less than 24 hours to go

Fran Crimi
06-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Good article. When I initially found the negative a few months ago, I thought I might have had the triple crown finish on my hands, but shortly after I realized that the 2nd horse position was wrong as well as the silks, which were always red for Alydar. But it's a good photo, nonetheless, of Affirmed and Cauthen. I have a couple of great closeups of both horse and jockey in the paddock in other races, but I'm still playing around with the download program. Might be awhile before I can post them.

One of my favorites is of Forego's last race. It was muddy, and I was able to get really close to him after the race and got his face all full of mud. It was really a cool photo. He was looking right at the camera, too.

Not related to Belmont, but I used to live a few blocks from the back entrance to Acqueduct Racetrack and shared the same laundromat with the jockeys. They were always asking me to reach up into the high dryers for them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

dg-in-centralpa
06-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Great picture! Mrs. DG will love it. It does get quite crowded when a triple crown is at stake. This year won't be quite as bad. Maybe only 65,000 as compared to 2004 when they had 120,000 show up. It was a mad house.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
06-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Last year Cauthen was at the race signing autographs along with Jean Croguet who rode Seattle Slew and Ron Turcotte, who rode Secretariat. Mrs. DG was in love with Steve, had her picture taken with him, and got an autographed picture. Our daughter was standing off to the side, near Turcotte. She's holding a six-pack cooler, when Turcotte calls her over to the table. He signed the cooler for her. She was thrilled.

DG

wolfdancer
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Nice story !!
Hope you all have a great "Day at the Races" tomorrow.
(Hey, that might make a good movie title)...and hope you
pick a few winners.
Frankie Laine, the singer...was known as a winning better. His secret was...instead of handicapping the horses....he handicapped the handicappers....
He'd wait until one of the good ones picked 7 losers in a row....then he would start betting their picks.
My old LL bet on horses....but he is insane....he looks for a number that hasn't shown up for awhile, say 6, and bets on 6 all day.
I tried to teach him my top secret betting system, which is linked to the Jockey's riding colors.....
My two top bets so far were both in Australia.
"English Court" had come in dead last in a maiden race, and for this race they had him at 100/1...which was as high as the tote board would go....I saw where he had actually been leading, but got bumped and fell down. He roared out of the pack and won by a nose. That was Manna from Heaven in the 60's
Another horse over there ran the hurdles....like a steeplechase but the hurdles are lower. This one had won something 5 in a row, and they had him at even odds....but also even odds to place. I placed a $100, and this was a race with 18 horses, a mile and a half...I think. they started on the far side and came around twice... first time around, my horse was so far behind the pack, I thought maybe he was in the next race.....but then he did his Silky Sullivan impression, and on the far side began catching up, then passing horses....in the stretch he had two horses left to pass, and he was reeling 'em in....the one though had thrown his rider earlier, and just as my horse got close, veered, and caused mine to "stutter step" for the last hurdle.... he lost by a neck....but place paid the same as a win....and $100 was big bucks back then.
In his next race, he broke down, bled from the nose, and who knows??? the stud farm?...not a bad way to retire....I read where Man o'War sired 87 stakes winners....and those were on his good days...

dg-in-centralpa
06-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Fran,
I just got back from the Belmont. It was cold! On the backside, it was sunny and the trees blocked the wind. On the track side it was almost unbearable. Penny Chenery, owner of Secretariat, was there as well as Ron Turcott the jockey. Both were signing autographs and pleasant to talk to. I picked Blue Grass Cat to win and had Sunriver in an exacta with Bluegrass Cat. They came in 2nd and 3rd. Oh well, there's always next year. The attendance was down due to no triple crown chance or even winners from the Derby or Preakness. The attendance was 65,000 compared to 2004 with Smarty Jones and 120,600.

DG

Sid_Vicious
06-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Did Bluegrass Cat ever lead???sid

dg-in-centralpa
06-11-2006, 05:55 AM
Just for a short bit at the top of the stretch, then it was stride for stride with Jazil until the last 70 yards when Jazil pulled ahead. Check out ESPN, they're showing replays of the stretch run. Cops and SWAT teams were everywhere. More than I had seen in previous years. SWAT teams walking around in the open carrying machine guns. I didn't know if I should feel safe or scared. SWAT teams were on top of the building as well.

Duane

Fran Crimi
06-11-2006, 06:35 AM
I was thinking of you and thought you might be cold. It was cold and windy all day here so I figured the track would be colder. We used to picnic around the backside. It's really pretty there. Sorry your horse didn't win but you must've had the right idea. You almost had the exacta. I used to do a bit of handicapping back in the old days...hang around a pool room long enough and you can pick up an amazing number of skills. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

dg-in-centralpa
06-11-2006, 06:58 AM
The backside is a nice area for a picnic. The prices on food was outrageous. For three hamburgs, 2 bottles of water, and a lemon ade, cost me $30. It beats carrying a cooler around all day.

DG

Sid_Vicious
06-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Sounds like an admiral stretch run, thanks...sid

Deeman3
06-12-2006, 06:49 AM
DG,

Sounds like you had a nice, if cold, time. I watched the race on TV and thought it was a well run race. I would guess if you had a choice between 65,000 and 120,000 you at least had a little more room to watch.

Deeman

wolfdancer
06-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Sid, did you mean "War Admiral" class of '37
Also a sire of Man'O War.....

dg-in-centralpa
06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Dee,
It definitely was easier to see and move around. With 120,000, the women had to get in line for the bathrooms, 30-45 minutes before they had to go. A lot just went into the men's room. I have your glasses and lapel pin. Do you want them sooner than the 4th of July weekend? If so, pm me your address. We had a great time.

DG

wolfdancer
06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Dg, I watched the race on TV, and it looked like that young jockey made all the right moves...a flawless race.
It's got to be one of the most exciting moments in sports...a good stretch run duel....
weren't much of a duel, but I never get tired of watching Secretariet winning the Belmont...in around 3 seconds faster then this one....I'd guess that might be three lengths?

Deeman3
06-12-2006, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Dg, I watched the race on TV, and it looked like that young jockey made all the right moves...a flawless race.
It's got to be one of the most exciting moments in sports...a good stretch run duel....
weren't much of a duel, but I never get tired of watching Secretariet winning the Belmont...in around 3 seconds faster then this one....I'd guess that might be three lengths? <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Maybe 12 lengths?</font color>

dg-in-centralpa
06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
That jockey did all the right things. He took that horse from dead last just before the home stretch and wove his way through and won. I watched when I got home and he rode a great race. I also love watching Secretariat's race. That's one for the ages. The woman who owned him was there talking with the people, along with Ron Turcott, the jockey.

DG

wolfdancer
06-12-2006, 03:20 PM
"Maybe 12 lengths?"
Probably why I can't handicap horses. My old trick at Las Vegas was to go into the sports room, bet one of the favorites to show......win $2.10 for my $2.00 bet, but get a free call drink, instead of that well swill they serve near the .$25 slots.

DickLeonard
06-13-2006, 05:49 AM
Fran I can remember being at Belmont on a Sunday afternoon with the family and The Four Somebodies were singing in the picnic area from 12 to 1 and between the races. It was an unexpected good time. The kids were entertained and so were their parents.####

DickLeonard
06-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Dg I was at a Yankee game and the line to the womens room was out to the parking lot. I said to a women there is no one in the Mens room, so she put her head down into her bent arm,looking at the floor and walked right into the mens room. Then everyone started following her.####

Deeman3
06-13-2006, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Dee,
It definitely was easier to see and move around. With 120,000, the women had to get in line for the bathrooms, 30-45 minutes before they had to go. A lot just went into the men's room. I have your glasses and lapel pin. Do you want them sooner than the 4th of July weekend? If so, pm me your address. We had a great time.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

DG,

No, I'll only ask you to mail them if something happens to our July 4th trip. Gald you had such a great time. P.M. me your address and the cost of the items and I'll send a check.

Thanks,

Deeman

Qtec
06-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Isn't gambling a sin?
Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
06-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Only when you win money. I didn't win so it wasn't gambling.

DG /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
06-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Check your PM

DG