PDA

View Full Version : The psychology of negativity?

Billy_Bob
06-07-2006, 11:04 AM
I've seen certain players or rail birds around who are always ready [with their harsh words] to knock down the better players in the area. They never have anything good to say about anyone and especially target the better players with their negative comments.

They are delighted when a better player plays lousy and quite unhappy if one of these players does well.

And I have seen this on the internet too. A pro will post on a forum using their real name, then the attacks from certain people begin. This has resulted in driving the pros away from some forums.

Well now we have the new IPT TV show, and right away there are some people on various forums trashing it. And also trashing some of the pro players.

Which gets me to thinking, why do these people do this?

Aren't these people shooting themselves in the foot?

In the case of forums, pros could potentially have a lot to contribute, but by driving them away, we no longer get their expert advice.

And with the case of the TV show, this has the potential to bring big bucks to pool for a long time (what everybody and their brother has been screaming about for years), so I would think it would be welcome?

Jal
06-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Because we're not far removed from apes.

Jim

Billy_Bob
06-12-2006, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr> Because we're not far removed from apes.
<hr /></blockquote>

Good point!

dr_dave
06-12-2006, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr> Because we're not far removed from apes.
<hr /></blockquote>

Good point! <hr /></blockquote>
I like bananas, but I also like the IPT and what they are trying to do for the sport.

Dave

sofy60
06-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Pros dont really hang out at forums do they. Dont they have autographs to sign ? I would hope so. For me at least.
Forums are strange. Ive had people slander my business who have never done business with me. Just mean spirited hacking fun I suppose. You should have to have a liscence to go online which can be revoked for acting like an idiot.

BurloakB
06-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Great post!.. and I agree.

Fact of the matter is, it's not pool nature, it's all of society. We envy those that are successful at something that we wish we were successful in. Happens to all successful people, the bitter working mans ill.

It's the barrel of lobsters syndrome. One of the lobsters at the top starts to make a break for it and the lobsters beneath pull him back down.