PDA

View Full Version : OB-1 shaft - whippy?

BillPorter
06-08-2006, 05:45 AM
I got my OB-1 shaft a few days ago. I've played with it for a few hours and like the shaft. I let a good player try it out the other day and he didn't like it much. He commented that it felt kind of "dead." I think what he called "dead" is what I call "solid." I think he was put off by the lack of a "tink" or "click" sound he was getting from his own cue which has a very hard tip. (The OB-1 I got came with what looks like a Talisman tip, probably a medium.) He also said the shaft seem to lack stiffness and was whippy. I hadn't noticed any lack of stiffness myself. Then we took the OB-1 and a regular solid shaft and flexed them by placing the joint end of the shafts on the rail of a table with the tips down on the surface of the table. I was surprised by how much easier it was to bend or flex the OB-1. In other words, pressing down on the middle of the shaft, it flexed downward much more than the solid shaft with the same pressure applied. Any thoughts or comments?

Rich R.
06-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Bill, your findings surprise me.
In a short test at Valley Forge, I didn't notice any whippyness to the OB-1 shaft. It actually felt fairly stiff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I never did try to flex it on the table. I only hit balls with it.

ryushen21
06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
I have been shooting with mine for about 5 weeks now. It has never at any point been whippy.

BillPorter
06-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Now I'm not saying this is good or bad, but the OB-1 is definitely more flexible over the area 10-14 inches back from the tip than a 314 Predator. Just takes less force to bend it in this area. All that being said, I still like the feel/sound of the OB-1 better than the feel/sound of the Predator. None of that hollow feel/sound that most Predator shafts display.