PDA

View Full Version : Soccer, football, world cup whatever...

nAz
06-13-2006, 09:52 PM
you wanna call it, Its still freaking boring.

cushioncrawler
06-14-2006, 01:30 AM
Mightbe -- but what if USA meet Iran in the final???!!!

Qtec
06-14-2006, 05:13 AM
nAz, its only the first round. Nobody wants to lose the 1st game so the play is not as exciting as its going to get. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Plus the fact the we are having a short heatwave over here hasn't helped. Its 30/35 degrees and thats hot and humid. European soccer is fast paced but not in this heat. Luckily, today it rained so we are down to 18 degrees! Big jump eh!.
Things start hotting up when we get to the next round. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q

9 Ball Girl
06-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Well I LOVE it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="green">SI</font color> <font color="[color:#666666"> </font color>SE</font color> <font color="red">PUEDE!</font color>

Drop1
06-14-2006, 08:29 AM
If they would behead the coach of the losing team,it might be less boring.

dg-in-centralpa
06-14-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree nAz, it's like watching golf.

DG

nAz
06-14-2006, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> If they would behead the coach of the losing team,it might be less boring. <hr /></blockquote>

ok ok I'll watch it then... talaban style?

nAz
06-14-2006, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Well I LOVE it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="green">SI</font color> <font color="[color:#666666"> </font color>SE</font color> <font color="red">PUEDE!</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

If Mexico palyed the USA for the title who would you want to win? ... and you can only pick one.

9 Ball Girl
06-14-2006, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>If Mexico palyed the USA for the title who would you want to win? ... and you can only pick one. <hr /></blockquote><font color="red">Mexico guey</font color>

Drop1
06-15-2006, 09:25 AM
The D.E.A.

catscradle
06-15-2006, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> you wanna call it, Its still freaking boring. <hr /></blockquote>

First off, let's get this straight when it comes to being boring, baseball is far and away much more boring than soccer. At least nobody, on a soccer pitch has the leisure to stand around and pick their nose. And as much as I hate to say this, pool is more boring than soccer, either to watch or play (I watch and play both).
Secondly, you obviously didn't see the last 15 minutes of the Germany/Poland game yesterday. There was more excitement in those 15 minutes than in a baseball double header. I just wish I was at home to watch the whole game.
Soccer will someday ascend to it's rightful place in the hierarchy of American sports.

catscradle
06-15-2006, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> Mightbe -- but what if USA meet Iran in the final???!!! <hr /></blockquote>

The bookies would give you some really long odds of either of them being there. Astronomical odds.

SnakebyteXX
06-15-2006, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> you wanna call it, Its still freaking boring. <hr /></blockquote>

First off, let's get this straight when it comes to being boring, baseball is far and away much more boring than soccer. At least nobody, on a soccer pitch has the leisure to stand around and pick their nose. And as much as I hate to say this, pool is more boring than soccer, either to watch or play (I watch and play both).
Secondly, you obviously didn't see the last 15 minutes of the Germany/Poland game yesterday. There was more excitement in those 15 minutes than in a baseball double header. I just wish I was at home to watch the whole game.
Soccer will someday ascend to it's rightful place in the hierarchy of American sports.
<hr /></blockquote>

My three sons and daughter all grew up playing soccer. The 24 year old son went through some major changes recently in an effort to make certain he would be able to see the Cup games in high def. Since the Cup started he's gotten up at five in the morning several times now just to be able to watch his favorites play.

It's a game where defense plays a major role. The better the defense the slower, and lower scoring, the game. A keen appreciation for the nuances of the game drives many of its most ardent fans. Here in the good old USA we tend to like high scoring games with lots of action and a few bone crunches tossed in here and there for good measure. Soccer tends to discourage bone crunching - that's part of what the whole yellow flag, red flag deal is all about.

Through the nineties we watched the American women's team evolve to the point that they became top Olympic contenders. Mia Hamm and her pals put on quite a show for those of us who were paying attention to such things.

I agree that the day will eventually come in this country when soccer attains greater status and a much larger audience than is presently the case. One thing's for sure - we have spent many hours enjoying the game and plan to continue.

Snake

nAz
06-15-2006, 10:57 AM
I don't know about baseball being more boring... it is a slow game but if you ever played it you would know that there is nothing like a pitcher and batter locked in battle...

but i could see how soccer is so popular with the masses it is a poor mans sport.

BTW I do not mind playing it, i actually enjoy it,,, but watching it hmm i rather hang out with Fast Larry.

er i don't get it watch or playing poor is more boring? dude you must love to be bored then, since that is what we love to do around here. lol

catscradle
06-15-2006, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I don't know about baseball being more boring... it is a slow game but if you ever played it you would know that there is nothing like a pitcher and batter locked in battle...

but i could see how soccer is so popular with the masses it is a poor mans sport.

BTW I do not mind playing it, i actually enjoy it,,, but watching it hmm i rather hang out with Fast Larry.

er i don't get it watch or playing poor is more boring? dude you must love to be bored then, since that is what we love to do around here. lol <hr /></blockquote>

I don't consider pool or soccer particularly boring to watch or play, but pool is more boring than pool in both regards. Too slow watching it, too much downtime playing it. Though I suppose if you're a lot better than me, the downtime isn't a problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cushioncrawler
06-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Yep -- it iz very long oddz against USA meeting Iran in the final -- in fact it could be zero, the draw-structure woz on ice weeks ago.

Regarding "boring" -- i think that top-soccer iz one of thoze sports that iz better to watch live "in-the-flesh" than live "on-tv".

Theze are my rankingz of some sports to-play (back then), and some to watch on-tv. Least-boring iz at No1.

.......TO PLAY............TO WATCH ON TV...
1......sex...................sex....
2......hang-gliding.......poker
3......gliding..............dancing
4......billiardz.............boxing
5......poker................snooker
6......fly-fishing..........weightlifting
7......tennis...............lawntennis
8......chuck-gliderz......soccer
9......soccer...............cricket
10.....ozzy-football......car-racing
11.....cricket..............gridiron
12.....table-tennis.......basketball
13.....volleyball...........icehockey
14.....baseball.............baseball
15.....duck-shooting.....wrestling
16.....squash..............dirt-bikes

I notice that sports ending in "ing" go very well -- here i include "sex".

DickLeonard
06-16-2006, 06:18 AM
9 ball girl it is obvious to CCB regulars that you would take the opposite view of Naz.LMAO ####

DickLeonard
06-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Naz if you happen to hang out with Fast Larry could you get some evidence for Eric.####

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2006, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> 1......sex...................sex....
<hr /></blockquote>Highly overrated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-16-2006, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> 9 ball girl it is obvious to CCB regulars that you would take the opposite view of Naz.LMAO #### <hr /></blockquote>Ah but in this case I actually mean it!

<font color="green">Mexico</font color> vs <font color="red">Angola </font color> 2:30 PM EST Today!

Deeman3
06-16-2006, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>

<font color="green">Mexico</font color> vs <font color="red">Angola </font color> 2:30 PM EST Today![/b] <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Now I may not know much about soccer, but is it not a little unfair that Mexico has to play a prison! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

Qtec
06-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Argentina won 6-0 today. Awesome performance. A zillion times more interesting than Baseball! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q..holland plays in 40 mins! Yikes. They have to win because otherwise they will have to beat Argentina to go thru! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

SnakebyteXX
06-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Two more reasons that I love soccer. They will play it rain or shine and they let the girls play too.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1636/wallpaperfdgd1hf.jpg

nAz
06-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Nice now that looks interesting!

nAz
06-16-2006, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Naz if you happen to hang out with Fast Larry could you get some evidence for Eric.#### <hr /></blockquote>

#### not to worry I will hurt a little later, around 6:30 pm... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wolfdancer
06-16-2006, 10:26 AM
nAz. you want boring?....try watching Cricket.....seemed like it was on TV every night when I was in Australia....and it was the same game... I think one team wins when they outlive the opposing players.
Batting in a century...100 runs in an inning....is the equivalent of playing 1000 rail nurses in balkline
billiards....
No article on centuries in cricket would be complete without mentioning the record of Sir Don Bradman, the Australian almost universally regarded as the greatest batsman in the history of the game. His batting average in Test cricket was a monumental 99.94, and it would have been in three figures had he only scored four runs in his last innings. However, he fell second ball without scoring, which has only added to his mystique. Andy Ganteaume did manage to record a three-figure Test average he played only one match for the West Indies, and only batted in one innings, yet in that innings he struck 112 runs.

"The concept of the century usually has a psychological effect on batsmen that the captain of the fielding side is keen to exploit. Batsmen often slow down and take less risks as they approach their century (especially as they pass through what are known as the "nervous nineties"), so their opponents may set deliberately defensive fields to slow them down further, hoping that frustration and nerves will get the better of them and they'll take on an unnecessarily risky shot in order to try to pass the landmark. A batsman's troubles do not end there cricketers are disproportionately likely to be dismissed shortly after making a century, presumably because they lose concentration. Considerable scorn is directed at those cricketers who consistently make this mistake (they are criticised for failing to convert their centuries into game-changing scores), but also at those cricketers who take extra defensive care when approaching their century without keeping in mind the context of the match situation, which may demand more urgent play. Such cricketers are regarded as playing for themselves (or their average) rather than the team. Critcisms of this sort have been made about batting greats such as Geoff Boycott and Jacques Kallis; they also help to explain why Andy Ganteaume, apparently so unluckily, was never asked to play Tests for the West Indies again."

In what other sport is there time out called for the players to have tea?

Deeman3
06-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Wolfdancer,

I attended several test matches in both Australia and in India with a British friend. While bordom reins for us, these people love the game. I didn't know the difference between silly mid-on and leg before wicket but actually started to like it after several months.

However, they would explain the rules when I asked but when I inquired as to how long it takes to learn theem properly, a "few generations", was their answer.

Deeman
prefers a century break in snooker....but never had one

wolfdancer
06-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Dee, for sheer excitement, as I once posted.....nothing beats
the women's Caber Toss at the Scottish Games

There are many sports that are way more exciting to play then to watch.....I don't think pool comes across on TV very well....but KT may prove me wrong....esp when he adds the topless scorecard girls...

Drop1
06-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Why not have ten guys go out on the field,and try to kick each other in the nuts? The team with the last man standing wins. You could have some rules,like no kicking above the belt,and no cups. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Mexico lost today,which is great,because I don't have to listen to all the horns,shouting and music.

9 Ball Girl
06-17-2006, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr>Mexico lost today,which is great,because I don't have to listen to all the horns,shouting and music. <hr /></blockquote>Mexico didn't lose. It was Mexico 0 and Angola 0 which is actually a draw (better than a loss) and both teams get 1 point. Because of Mexico's win 3-1 against Iran last week, they qualify to move into the 2nd round. Get your earplugs ready. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Drop1
06-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Wow that is bad news. But it is kind of fun watching everyone get off on the games. They have little TVs in the taxies,which makes the ride more exciting because the driver is not watching the buses. I bought a 9' table,and we have open house on Sunday, for who ever wants to play.People bring what ever they want to drink, and we supply botanas. Starts at four,and end when ever. The funny thing is most of these people would never talk to one another,because we have lawyers, doctors,construction workers,taco stand owners,people that are handicapped,and people from all the countries of Latin America. I plan to invite this one lady from Cuba,that can sing,and tear the place up. When the neighbors complained,I invited all the cops to show up too.Now the neighbors are starting to come over. If it ain't fun it ain't gonna take my time.

ryushen21
06-18-2006, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Well I LOVE it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm with you!! I've been tivoing every game.

And just my personal pick...GO ARGENTINA!!!!!