PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Indoor Pool table in backyard???

jaysh_vijay
06-15-2006, 03:00 PM
<font color="blue">
Hi,

We have a 8' pool table that we bought from zbilliards 3 years back and it is in excellent condition. In our current home, we have a room big enough for our pool table, but we're moving to a new home where there is no space inside the home for the pool table.

We are thinking of putting our pool table in our back yard under an arbor. I called Century billiards (our pool table moever/installer in the bay area) and they say that the pool table should handle the elements (rain, sunshine etc.) just fine as long as we keep the pool table covered well.

I understand that I am reducing the life of the pool table by doing this, but I would like a second opinion on this. Has anybody subjected an indoor pool table to outdoor elements? If so, what was the effect? Thanks for your time to respond to this post.

Thanks,
Vijay
</font color>

Cueless Joey
06-15-2006, 03:02 PM
That chinese made table would warp like a noodle outside.

pooltchr
06-15-2006, 03:25 PM
cue sticks and pool tables are both made out of wood. I think for the same reason that you wouldn't leave your pool cue outside, you probably don't want to leave your table there either. Both are made of wood, and extreme temperature changes and humidity are going to cause either to warp.
Steve

bsmutz
06-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Drew Carey's table outside in Cleveland (snow, ice, etc.) still played great after several seasons... They even used to set their beers on it and all kinds of other stuff. I never saw it covered either.

Seriously, you are not going to like how it plays after one year outside (if it takes that long). You'd be better off to sell it and get an outdoor table, IMO.

Scott Lee
06-16-2006, 11:11 AM
I agree with your advice Bill...the only problem for vijay, is that he won't get 10-20% of what an outdoor table costs, when selling his zbilliards table. Quality outdoor tables are fairly pricey...in the $3K-$5K range.

Scott Lee

jaysh_vijay
06-16-2006, 11:25 AM
<font color="blue">
Thanks for all who responded.

We are in the bay area in California, does that help? (because the weather won't be that extreme like in other parts of the country)

Thanks,
Vijay

</font color>

Poonior
06-16-2006, 01:08 PM
hey man, where are you in the BAY? i live in Vallejo and the only billiard store/pool hall i know of is in fairfield... just wanted to know what billiard stores you knew of around here...

bsmutz
06-16-2006, 01:20 PM
The Bay Area, even though it doesn't see the temperature extremes of other areas, still has wide humidity fluctuations and quite often during the summer will see a 40 degree swing in temperature during one 24 hour period. Add to that your table being made of particle board and plywood with metal joints with the least expensive cushions and I'm afraid your table will not look or play like new for very long. I had forgotten that the outdoor tables are as expensive as a good quality indoor one. Good catch, Scott. You're not really protecting that big of an investment, though, so maybe you should go ahead and try it. I would look at various ways to isolate it from moisture incursion. Don't set it directly on the concrete, put standoffs in the pockets to keep the cover up off the slate, or maybe build an insulated box using rigid foam insulation that would fit closely around the table when not in use and would be easy to install and remove. If sturdy enough, it could be used as work surface or serving table for backyard parties... Just throwing some thoughts out there.