PDA

View Full Version : Tony Ellin's Death

mattman
06-16-2006, 06:12 AM
I use to follow men's circuit back in the mid to late 90's pretty well. I just learned of Tony Ellin's death. I searched everywhere and cannot find any information on it. Would anyone like to share as to what happened?

Thanks
Matt

Fran Crimi
06-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Matt,

Tony died in an accident when his car was struck by a train. He lived near a RR crossing that was considered dangerous. He was well liked by his peers and it was a terrible blow to eveyone.

Fran

DSAPOLIS
06-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Tony was a very good friend of mine. He was an awesome player with the most powerful break, and the most endearing smile and personality I have ever encountered. Here are some links to some information on Tony.

Tony Ellin Memorial (http://www.tedharris.com/articles_27.htm#Tony%20Ellin%20Memorial)

Remembering A Friend (http://www.azbilliards.com/blackjack/blackjack11.cfm)

Wednesday marked the 6th anniversary of Tony's death. Please keep Tony's daughter Ashley and his wife Shelby in your thoughts and prayers.

http://www.azbilliards.com/blackjack/TonyEllin03.jpg

From Ted Harris' Site

On Wednesday, June 14, the billiard world was dealt the tragic loss of one of its finest players. Tony "The Hurricane" Ellin, 34, of Ladson, S.C. was killed Wednesday when a train hit his 1999 Cadillac as he crossed an intersection. The collision, which occurred just before noon, happened less than a block from his home.

Tony had been playing pro pool for many years, and had gained the respect & admiration of players & spectators throughout the world. My first memories of him were from December of 1991 Sands Regency in Reno, followed up by Jack Johnston’s “Last Call for 9-ball” at the Sands in Las Vegas. Since then, I have seen him at just about every professional tournament that existed. Over the last several years, he had established himself as a permanent fixture at tournaments. As anyone who knows him would say, he was always happy and in good spirit, and as such shared it with the people he came in contact with. When Tony was not playing, he always had a kind word to offer, and was known as being kind & gentle. On the table, however, he was a fierce competitor, oftentimes stringing numerous racks against his unfortunate opponents. Hence the nickname “the Hurricane” was born. Tony was not alone on his trek to be the best. For several of those years, he was accompanied by his wife Shelby, who was an accomplished player in her own right, as I can personally attest to. Three years ago, Tony & Shelby were blessed with the birth of their daughter Ashley.

Tony's victories at the professional level include a victory at the 1994 Sands Regency XIX, and the Hard Times Pro-Am, also in June of 1994. He also made it to the finals on many other occasions, only to be held to several 2nd place finishes, including the September 1993 US Open 9-Ball Championship , 1994 Bay State Shootout in April, and the 1994 Dallas Open in July. There were also numerous trips to the semi-finals as well, ending with 3rd place finishes, including the Sands Regency XXII, Legends of 9-Ball in June of 1996, and again at the Sands Regency XXV in 1997. At Chalker’s San Francisco 9-Ball Classic in June of 1995, and yet again at the Sands Regency XXVIII, he placed 4th. His rankings on the Pro Billiards Tour for 1995 were 12th place at years end, and a career high in 1996 at 9th place at years end. Over the years, there were many articles published about him in many publications, including the American Cueist in August 1994, Pool & Billiard in July 1994 & July 1996, and Q Action Magazine in July & August issue 1994.

Tony will be sorely missed by those whose lives he touched. Our thoughts & love go out to his surviving family. Tony is survived by his wife, Shelby, and daughter Ashley Annette, 3; parents George and Bonnie Ellin; sister Nancy and niece Sarah. Memorials may be made to the Billiard Education Foundation Fund, c/o B.C.A. 4345 Bevery St., Suite D, Colorado Springs, CO 80918. The BEF is a non-profit foundation that provides college scholarships to junior billiard players.

mattman
06-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the information...that's just terrible. While doing some searching, I also learned the death of "The Miz". I was fortunate to see them both play at the 1994 PBT World 9-Ball Championship in Las Vegas. I will remember both of them.

Thanks again,
Matt

bluey2king
06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the update. I didn't know of Tony untill I saw him just recently on ESPN Classic.