PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat

Poonior
06-18-2006, 03:36 PM
when i got my cue it had a clear coat on the shaft... i didnt know what it was until i got my tip replaced and the guy asked me if i wanted him to take it off... he left some on the bottom part of the shaft and i wanted to know any way to take it off... thanx in advance...

Rich R.
06-18-2006, 05:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Poonior:</font><hr> when i got my cue it had a clear coat on the shaft... i didnt know what it was until i got my tip replaced and the guy asked me if i wanted him to take it off... he left some on the bottom part of the shaft and i wanted to know any way to take it off... thanx in advance... <hr /></blockquote>
It is normal to leave a little clear coat on the joint end of the shaft. You only need it removed from the section that will be sliding through your fingers.

Poonior
06-18-2006, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Poonior:</font><hr> when i got my cue it had a clear coat on the shaft... i didnt know what it was until i got my tip replaced and the guy asked me if i wanted him to take it off... he left some on the bottom part of the shaft and i wanted to know any way to take it off... thanx in advance... <hr /></blockquote>
It is normal to leave a little clear coat on the joint end of the shaft. You only need it removed from the section that will be sliding through your fingers. <hr /></blockquote>

i know that but there is still a little bit more that i would like to take off... i can feel it on those long shots where you have to extend your bridge farther down the shaft...

Rich R.
06-19-2006, 03:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Poonior:</font><hr> i know that but there is still a little bit more that i would like to take off... i can feel it on those long shots where you have to extend your bridge farther down the shaft... <hr /></blockquote>
Take it back to the guy who did it for you. It will only take him a minute and he may not charge you for it.
The only other option is to use some very fine sandpaper, but it is best done by the repair guy, with the lathe.

Cornerman
06-19-2006, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Poonior:</font><hr> when i got my cue it had a clear coat on the shaft... i didnt know what it was until i got my tip replaced and the guy asked me if i wanted him to take it off... he left some on the bottom part of the shaft and i wanted to know any way to take it off... thanx in advance... <hr /></blockquote>What kind of cue do you have?

Most of my cues have the finish up to ~4" from the joint.

Fred

Poonior
06-19-2006, 02:57 PM
i have a Lucasi... the whole shaft was clear coated up to the ferrule... he took off about 2/3 of it... i still want to take off like 3/8 more...

tjlmbklr
06-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Here, I've got a funny related story:
So I am at the local poolhall playing league, my spring league partner, who just bought a new cue, and is farely new to the billiard world,and just stopped playing with his Cuetec, says to me, "whats that?" As he's looking at his new high end Mcdermot that he got for a Steal of a price by the way. I said what, "that" as he's looking at the base of the shaft. He was referring to the area where the cloat polyurethene/laquer/whatever ends, and the bare wood begins. Now we all started somewhere, and we all had less knowledge then we do now, but I thought it was funny when I told him what it was. His response was, "well why don't they just run it all the way up. Insted of laughing, me being the sarcastic fellow that I am, on top of being spanked my the #1 team, I responded with: "If you wanted a cue shaft that was coated in something, you should kept playing with your Cuetec, this is wood, it's a good cue"

Sid_Vicious
06-21-2006, 10:01 AM
I had my cue guy not install any coat above the rings on purpose. A friend of mine has his cue's shaft that way for years and it blends much better with the insistent color the shaft will invatiably attract over time. I see no function in having it anywhere on the shaftwood...sid

SPetty
06-22-2006, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I see no function in having it anywhere on the shaftwood...<hr /></blockquote>The purported function I've read is that it is there to help with the grippiness of the shaft when you are screwing/unscrewing.