PDA

View Full Version : Mickelson's Big Mistake ?

Fran Crimi
06-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Johnny Miller said he took too much of a chance with his driver on the 18th because he only hit two fairways that round so far. So why did he pull out his driver on the final hole when he had a one-shot lead?

If you heard Mickelson's press interveiw afterwards on the golf channel, it seems that his 'error' wasn't as big of an error as one would think. He was caught between two clubs and went with the driver. If he had a 3 wood in his bag, I think he would have pulled it out, but alas, he didn't have his 3 wood with him, I guess in lieu of some other around the green club. So, he had to make a choice, use the 4 wood and then hit a long approach shot on to a tricky green, or use his driver, and even if he landed in the first cut, he could still manipulate the approach shot just as he did the whole round.

He was also concerned that if he used his 4 wood off the tee, and hit it into the rough, he'd not be able to reach the green from there.

He was going for par, not bogey, which was what he needed to do to win. I don't think his choice was so horrendous as people are saying. He just hit the drive bad. If he nailed it, or at least into the first cut, he'd be a hero today.

What do you golfers think?

Fran

Deeman3
06-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Fran,

I think we love to second guess people. Phil is a professional and probably made the best decision he could during the circumstamces. Like you say, if he hit it good, he was a hero and it was over.

I wonder how many of us could even hit a pitching wedge under the conditions he faced. I cheer for him as I am also a left handed golfer, however, if I had had his chioces, I would probably have wet my pants then hit a 1 iron into the woods......

Deeman

Qtec
06-19-2006, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Fran,

I think we love to second guess people. Phil is a professional and probably made the best decision he could during the circumstamces. Like you say, if he hit it good, he was a hero and it was over.

I wonder how many of us could even hit a pitching wedge under the conditions he faced. I cheer for him as I am also a left handed golfer, however, if I had had his chioces, I would probably have wet my pants then hit a 1 iron into the woods......

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Phil is a great player. my own guess is that because he was between clubs, he didn't commit to the shot %100. ie, indecision again rears its head.
Feeling pressure is ultimately a direct consequence of a lack of confidence.

Q

monty had perfect pos ...........!

Chopstick
06-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Par wins, bogey ties, only double bogey loses. Go with the four wood and take double out of play. If he didn't reach the green on his second he would be close and his up and down skills could have gotten him bogey at least. He hit his drive into a trash can two holes back. He had been getting up and down like a magician all day. I think he should have played to his strength instead of trying to get one good shot out of a club that had been letting him down.

I am a lousey golfer though. I am the last one to second guess anybody.

wolfdancer
06-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Phil didn't hit a good tee shot the last few holes...and unfortunately,it caught up with him on the last hole.
Monty had the best chance to win 171 yds from the green...probably a 7 iron for him...and they both get a double. Haven't seen anything that bad since Nroman gave the Master's away to Nick Faldo, after being up 7 strokes.
Arnie also gave away an open to Billy Casper...up by 7, with 9 holes to play, and decided to go for the course, or open record....he also took a 6 on #18 to hand the Master's to Gary Player.
Jack, or Tiger would have never lost the open on the last hole, with the lead.......

DickLeonard
06-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Wolfdancer I thought that someone in the stands had yelled something to Colin. He kept looking back into the stands. Then he changed his club selection.

If I was Phil's caddie we would have been fighting because he would never have gotten a driver from me. 3 irons and he would have reached the green. He reminded me of VanderVel the Frenchman who blew the British Open. All he had to do was play short of the creek but no.####

wolfdancer
06-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Dick, too bad you weren't caddying....I couldn't figure out why Monty changed irons either....and I think that was probably his last real chance to win an open, or a major.
Thet British Open fiasco was so bad, you had to feel soory for the guy...he ain't recovered yet....I think.
Speaking of caddies.....not sure if I got this right...but Brett's regular caddy, and backup caddy both begged off? or was that another guy with a top 10 finish?

Fran Crimi
06-20-2006, 05:00 AM
You know what else I was thinking....It was hot as hell on Sunday. I think it hit about 94 but the humidity was way up in the 90% too. It was horrible. Even with a caddy carrying your clubs, I know those hills at Winged Foot and they're pretty treacherous. It doesn't look it as much on TV but they're serious. At the start of the day, I wondered if Phil would hang in there because he looked out of shape. He goes in and out of shape which proves to me that even out of shape, this guy's got more natural talent than anyone I've ever seen, maybe even including Tiger. I thought for sure Phil would keel over at some point but he just kept on, but frankly your brain starts to short-circuit in that heat and humidity...maybe he just wasn't thinking clearly at the end, maybe not just with his choice, but how he set up and executed the shot.

Fran

DickLeonard
06-20-2006, 05:39 AM
Fran after watching 10 minutes of NASCAR I realized that Golfers could use their communications system to their benefit. Every hole with a spotter feeding info to a laptop that the golfer would analyse that info before hitting his shot. A topograph of the putting surface with the previous putts and their tracks. An up to date standing where your standing now without trying to find a scoreboard. Or guessing what the roar of the crowd meant three holes away.

Fran I can't go any further without protecting my thoughts on this new business which I seem to be creating.####

DickLeonard
06-20-2006, 05:46 AM
Wolfdancer I didn't hear that but that woulld be a missed 100,000 payoff. Not bad for a week in the Sun. A caddy's job is hard work walking 36 holes everyday. Marking off the distances, where the pins are placed etc.####

wolfdancer
06-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Fran, there might be some truth in that.He has been hitting his tee shots pretty good lately, but not on Sunday. Miller remarked on it earlier in the round.
I think Phil is allergic to working out....he might lose a "cup" size.

wolfdancer
06-20-2006, 05:58 AM
besides the physical labor, you got to be cheerleader, whipping boy, and sports psychologist

JPB
06-20-2006, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Fran after watching 10 minutes of NASCAR I realized that Golfers could use their communications system to their benefit. Every hole with a spotter feeding info to a laptop that the golfer would analyse that info before hitting his shot. A topograph of the putting surface with the previous putts and their tracks. An up to date standing where your standing now without trying to find a scoreboard. Or guessing what the roar of the crowd meant three holes away.

Fran I can't go any further without protecting my thoughts on this new business which I seem to be creating.#### <hr /></blockquote>

fortunately all this stuff is still against the rules. But maybe given how many mistakes the USGA is making you could lobby for some of these. Just awful they loosened the rules on rangefinding equipment this year.

Deeman3
06-20-2006, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> besides the physical labor, you got to be cheerleader, whipping boy, and sports psychologist <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> You know, despite all this balyhoo the world is making over Phil's bad choices, he still gets to curl up in bed with his wife and bath in $100 bills. What a tough life! You finish second in two or three of these tournaments and you make the millionares list.

Deeman
pool should be so lucky.... </font color>

DickLeonard
06-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Deeman one win and you make more money than Slamming Sammy Snead did for winning 88 tournaments. I wonder if Jack Nicklaus is in the top 100 of money won by Golfers?####

Deeman3
06-20-2006, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Deeman one win and you make more money than Slamming Sammy Snead did for winning 88 tournaments. I wonder if Jack Nicklaus is in the top 100 of money won by Golfers?#### <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Dick,

I doubt Jack is in the top 100 anymore. It is a shame that someone as talented as Sam Snead was paid so little but I guess the same can be said about most sports. The difference is that pool never has and probably never will have big paydays. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am hoping the new tour helps but as for the long term, I am pessimistic.</font color>

Deeman

wolfdancer
06-20-2006, 10:48 AM
I can remember when Arnold Palmer became the first golfer to win $100k for the season....now a caddie can make that in two tournaments.

JPB
06-20-2006, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Deeman one win and you make more money than Slamming Sammy Snead did for winning 88 tournaments. I wonder if Jack Nicklaus is in the top 100 of money won by Golfers?#### <hr /></blockquote>

Michelle Wie's first endorsement contract was approximately twice what Nicklaus made in career official earnings. Don't cry for Jack though. Things are better now for the players, but Jack has enjoyed a great life and lifestyle. He wasn't traveling the tour in a trailer, he flew private jets and owned businesses. Tiger may end up owning countries though, LOL.

Fran Crimi
06-20-2006, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> besides the physical labor, you got to be cheerleader, whipping boy, and sports psychologist <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> You know, despite all this balyhoo the world is making over Phil's bad choices, he still gets to curl up in bed with his wife and bath in $100 bills. What a tough life! You finish second in two or three of these tournaments and you make the millionares list.

Deeman
pool should be so lucky.... </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, well that's a given, but this one was really important because it meant three majors in a row. He was on his way to a Phil-Slam. He's got all the money he needs. At this point it's about leaving your mark in the golf world. He's 36 now and very few guys win at 40.

That getting old thing really got to Nicklaus. He still competed but he admitted that it killed him to not be able to win like he used to.

Fran

Fran Crimi
06-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Yup. I bet he's a BBQ kinda guy. I can just imagine his elaborate setup at his home.

He reminds me of friends of mine in school who were great crammers. They never studied all year and when it came down to exam time, they crammed for a few days and then aced the exams. I could never do that. I betcha Phil's a great crammer (besides being loaded with talent).

Fran

cushioncrawler
06-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Fran -- I see that Geoff Ogilvy started his golf at Cheltenham GC -- me, i play billiardz for Cheltenham Billiards &amp; Snooker Club -- we have to put up with golf ballz landing on the roof, just a tin shed really -- then u get kidz walking on the roof with hob-nailed boots looking for their ballz -- i gave up playing golf a few yearz ago -- but i will have to have a look thru my barrel of old ballz, there might be one there with GO written on it. Chelt GC haz a 12' table -- Chelt B&amp;SC only haz 3 tablez -- we used to play some of our matches at the GC if we had 2 teamz with a home match.

DickLeonard
06-22-2006, 06:26 AM
Fran I read where Phil is traveling in his own jet but it isn'f from Golf, he was steered into Ebay at .06 cents per share. One of the Advantages from Traveling in the Right Circles.####

DickLeonard
06-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Wolfdancer it is Offical Jack NIcklaus and Tom Watson agreed with my assessment of hitting the driver on the 18 hole. When it went bad he should have played a safe out instead of gambling. That coming from someone who finished second more than any other player. He lost most of those tourneys to someones heriocs not his losing the event.####

DickLeonard
06-23-2006, 05:03 AM
Cushioncrawler your tale again proved what a small world it is. Good luck hunting for a GO ball. ####

Fran Crimi
06-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Wow. Ebay at .06. Good for Phil. I was on a flight with Phil once....back when he lived in Scottsdale. I was flying to Phoenix for a tournament. Had to walk past him in first class on my way to coach. I guess it was before his private jet days.

Fran

DickLeonard
06-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Fran I didn't see this but was told it. Some golfer was sunking putts all over the place and the announcer said it's no Wonder he is the best poolplayer on tour.####

onepocketfanatic
06-28-2006, 08:23 PM
TAlking about all of the money made in pro sports, Micheal Jordan said it best....the difference between the kids coming out of college now days is that they are paid for "potential". In years past you didn't get the money until you proved your worth.
At least in golf, most of the guys with the really huge salaries have somewhat proven themselves. You don't see many of them getting the millions coming off of Q school.
I think Phil did the right thing....go for the throat!