PDA

View Full Version : (OT)Baseball All-Star Game

07-10-2002, 03:41 AM
I know there are some serious baseball fans on the board like myself, just wanted to get a feel of how you all felt about tonights TIE game. Personally, I can understand why they needed to call the game, but I don't have to like it. I think the blame falls directly on the shoulders of Brenly and Torre. Even though it is only an exhibition they should still manage the game to try to win, if they want to empty the benches after the game is out of hand, so be it, but they should both keep a pitcher in reserve in case of a situation like tonight.

As much as I didn't like the finish, that didn't bother me nearly as much as not naming an MVP. Just because there wasn't a winning team, doesn't mean they couldn't have decided who had the best game. In the past players from the losing team have won the award, why not now. It also seems like a slap in the face to Ted Williams, who they named the award after less than a week ago.

All in all, it wasn't a good day for the anti-christ(Selig), imagine sitting in your sold out stadium well the hometown fans boo you. It doesn't matter anyway, it's the last sellout he will have for the rest of the season.

Other than that it was a well played, faily competitive(by all-star standards) game, to bad it never got the glory finish.

Rich

Rich R.
07-10-2002, 03:57 AM
I'm glad I didn't invest any time in watching it.
This is just another example of how professional baseball does not care about the fans. They are just interested in making sure that their high priced players do not get too tired. They expect the people to just keep pouring in the money, while they do whatever they want. They are even talking about another strike. I guess they did not learn their lesson the last time. I am really getting fed up with it all.
Rich R.~~~season ticket holder.

Kato
07-10-2002, 06:17 AM
I am a life long baseball fan. It has been in my favorite sport in all of my 31 years. Unfortunatly I've begun to sour on this grand old game. All my life I wished I had a local team to root for, finally, after 23 years of living the Florida Marlins answered my prayers. They've lost, built up, spent and won a world series through free agency, sold out, starting building and winning again and are about to sell out again. I couldn't begin to tell you how upset I'll be when this happens. I'll be back but it will take longer.

As a disgruntled baseball fan I refused to watch last nights game. Selig took this game from Miami (I would have moved mountains to get there) and put it in his home ball park. Sorry Bud, no dice, I boycotted your game on principle. And finally my beloved RedSox look like they've got a pretty darn good team this year and they'll probably strike again. AAAARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Kato~~~Not to long till football season. They get it!!!! Go Dolphins!!!!!!

Michelle
07-10-2002, 10:17 AM
I was extremely displeased by the decision, and thought it quite insane !
The last strike in baseball was a disaster for the sport. There was no World Series, and a large percentage of fans gave up on the sport. The numbers have never fully recovered.
Now, with another strike a possibility, you would think that the All-Star game would be a way for those in charge to help ease the minds of remaining fans. But, no.
They end the game early, in a tie, and it was such a good game up until that point...

Also, I wonder how anyone one who bet on the game feels...I bet Vegas is in an uproar! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

jjinfla
07-10-2002, 11:47 AM
[quote=Michelle
They end the game early, in a tie, and it was such a good game up until that point...

Also, I wonder how anyone one who bet on the game feels...I bet Vegas is in an uproar! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

This was a better fix than the old Black sox from Chicago.
I gave up on baseball the first time they went on strike and haven't watched a game since. Actually I just got fed up with the Cubs choking any time they got close. Jake

Cueless Joey
07-10-2002, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: jjinfla:</font><hr> [quote=Michelle

Also, I wonder how anyone one who bet on the game feels...I bet Vegas is in an uproar! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

This was a better fix than the old Black sox from Chicago.
I gave up on baseball the first time they went on strike and haven't watched a game since. Actually I just got fed up with the Cubs choking any time they got close. Jake <hr></blockquote>...........
Wow, it took you THAT long to give up on the Cubs? Bill Murray's still suffering.
I love baseball. I'm a sukker.

Michelle
07-10-2002, 12:54 PM
I'm from the Chicago area, and will always be a Cubs and Bears fan...I've never had any hope in the Cubs, even last year when they started out so hot. They always choke. But I still love my Cubbies. I think it's Wrigley...there's no place better to watch a game. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-10-2002, 01:44 PM
I was a HUGE fan until 1994. I still go to a couple games a year and watch when it happens to be on at the tavern. My biggest problem is players constantly moving from team to team.

Selig's an idiot. He probably did not sleep well last night /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Last night they should have had a shootout like in hockey. Each team sends up theur 3 best home run hitters and each guy gets 10 swings. That would be cool.

Tony Perez forever,

Fred Agnir
07-10-2002, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich:</font><hr> I think the blame falls directly on the shoulders of Brenly and Torre. Even though it is only an exhibition they should still manage the game to try to win, if they want to empty the benches after the game is out of hand, so be it, but they should both keep a pitcher in reserve in case of a situation like tonight.<hr></blockquote>
In the early 90's, the AL Manager, Cito Gaston, held back one pitcher keeping him off the field in case he needed him in extra innings. He ended up not using him, and got to feel the heat of the fans and armchair managers. It's a no win situation.

My only problem was the way they hung Freddy Garcia out there. It was obvious innings earlier that this was a possiblity.

Fred

Tom_In_Cincy
07-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Been following Baseball since the mid 60s.
Big time Boston Red Sox fan and long time St. Louis Cardinals fan.
I have always liked baseball and will continue to follow the standing and box scores and read about the games.
I don't go to many ball games anymore.. I had season tickets for the Memphis Chicks while living in Memphis up until I moved to Cincinnat in 1987.
I follow the Reds, Red Sox and Cardinals. I root for any team playing the Yankees (its a very long story... )

Last nite I was reminded about the reasons I have lost interest in following players in baseball. The Owners and Players have stained the game of baseball with their BS.

I would much rather see a good High Scool team play.. and have had the opportunity to do so watching and coaching my two boys for the last 12 years.

There will always be baseball, and I will always be a fan of the GAME.. I just wish it could be played without the players and owners mucking it up..

07-10-2002, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
In the early 90's, the AL Manager, Cito Gaston, held back one pitcher keeping him off the field in case he needed him in extra innings. He ended up not using him, and got to feel the heat of the fans and armchair managers. It's a no win situation.

Fred <hr></blockquote>

That situation was so much different than this years situation, that it is a very poor comparison. The 1993 All-Star game was played in Baltimore at Camden Yards. A.L. Manager Cito Gaston used his power of selection to choose Devon White, Duane Ward and Paul Molitor. All Blue Jays who were only having decent seasons. Add those players to the four other Blue Jays already on the team deservedly. Cito Gaston was not the most popular man in baseball. This has been a controversy in several All-Star games, managers choosing their own players, in this case, Cito went over the line.

Fast forward to the top of the 9th inning. The A.L. is ahead by the score of 9 to 3, the game is already decided. Cito now has a choice to make. There are two pitchers in the bullpen. The first is Blue Jay, Duane Ward(who most feel didn't deserve to be there), the other pitcher is Hometown pitcher Mike Mussina(who everyone thought deserved to be there). Cito chose to bring in his guy and left Mussina warming up in the bullpen. The announcers guessed that Gaston was going to give the last out to Mussina. But alas, in the end Gaston chose to let his player finish out the game while he taunted the hometown crowd by keeping Mussina throwing in the bullpen until the game was over.

It was for this reason that Cito Gaston was raked over the coals by fans and media, not because he just didn't play a player. On the flip side, the N.L. manager, Cox, chose to keep 3 pitchers on the bench, and nobody said anything.

Rich

Voodoo Daddy
07-12-2002, 12:35 AM
As a sports freak I marvel at pro atheletes and their abilities...I also marvel at their represenatives. Selig showed how dumb he really is by shutting down the show after 11 innings. No creativity was used in the chair Selig occupied as the 2 coaches took their case to sidebar. Thats what pro sports has brought itself too...geez, what happened? As far as Kato's Bo-Sox...they will fold as always. If Pedro could pitch everyday they might have a chance...but we all know that wont happen. They named the MVP the TED WILLIAMS AWARD...and they didnt give it out!! The curse of the Bo-Sox still lives on. Thank god for the NY YANKEES...the greatest sports franchise ever..

Voodoo