PDA

View Full Version : Ball on rail

Drop1
06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Object ball,and cue ball are both on the rail. They are a diamond apart,with cue ball at middle diamond and object ball at diamond nearest center pocket. I want to run the object ball past the center pocket,and into the corner. Where do I hit the cue ball?

Rod
06-19-2006, 11:13 PM
The short version, inside english, speed is a factor.

Rod

BurloakB
06-20-2006, 01:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> The short version, inside english, speed is a factor.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>
Technically there's no such thing as inside english when the object ball and cue ball are in a straight line. You need an angle to determine what is inside and what is outside.

I think what the previous post is trying to say is, (and correct me if I'm wrong), if the rail is to the left of the balls when you are in cueing position, use a tiny amount of left side-spin. This will throw the OB right a touch and take the points of the center pocket out of the equation.

If you use too much speed or too much english, the OB will drift away from the rail and won't make the corner pocket. You need to get the OB to the shoulder of the corner pocket. Conversely, if you use any right hand spin in the above situation, the cue ball will throw into the rail and bounce out. As the above poster mentioned, speed is definitely a factor.

This is usually only a problem if the OB is frozen to the side rail and you perceive the points of the center pocket coming into play.
If there is any daylight between the balls and the rail, you should just stick to vertical axis spin and hit it a little over pocket speed so it doesn't roll off on you. An older table may have a "trough" or channel that the OB will track into, you can use that to your advantage.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Technically?

I think Rod's expanded his reply, straying away from his normally brief responses.

And yes, to us non-technical players, 'using inside' to describe this shot is very appropriate.

walt8880
06-21-2006, 04:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Technically?

I think Rod's expanded his reply, straying away from his normally brief responses.

And yes, to us non-technical players, 'using inside' to describe this shot is very appropriate. <hr /></blockquote>

Agree. Inside on this type of shot means the side against the rail

Stretch
06-21-2006, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote walt8880:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Technically?

And yes, to us non-technical players, 'using inside' to describe this shot is very appropriate. <hr /></blockquote>

Agree. Inside on this type of shot means the side against the rail <hr /></blockquote>

On the rare occation that this shot comes up i've been known to walk around to the side rail and take a good look back and forth at the two balls while holding my hand over the side pocket. What i'm actually doing is squishing in the point of the side pocket with my finger and compressing it so the ball will slide on by without catching anything. Of course this won't work if the rails are not straight from corner to corner. But i figure, why take chances right? lol

For sure inside english as it was explained in the last posts is the way to go. On *most* equipment you can get quiet a bit of ball transfered english especial for full ball hits. Speed is important, i just ease it down the rail with low inside and let the pocket gobble it up.

The same stroke (low inside) "at speed" will also get you around the side pocket to make the frozen balls shot where the side pocket is between the cb and ob. It's a handy stroke for every mini swerv. Great shot to have in the bag. St.

Cornerman
06-21-2006, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>

And yes, to us non-technical players, 'using inside' to describe this shot is very appropriate. <hr /></blockquote>Interesting. I call it "inside" on this particular shot also. That being said, if you use the opposite english for this particular shot, is that english "outside"?

If the object ball is a hair off the cushion, the rail-side english is inside. But if the cueball is a hair off the cushion instead, is the rail-side english outside?

Too much to think about. When they're both frozen, inside english, with a blend of speed.

Fred

Drop1
06-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Well I found out I can make the shot using the inside english,but when I move to the other side of the table,I have to switch to using my left hand,instead of my right hand,using the inside english,and hit the cue with just enough force to make it to the pocket. I don't think anyone is going to make that shot on both sides of the table shooting with the same hand. Well once again the forum came through.

Rod
06-21-2006, 09:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I don't think anyone is going to make that shot on both sides of the table shooting with the same hand. <hr /></blockquote>

Well of course they are and do it all the time, including me. I don't understand why you have to switch hands. It's a little easier to bridge on the right side for a righty however the left side isn't a problem.

I'll tell ya as St mentioned in his post, using low inside can make the shot easier depending where both balls are on the rail. You can shoot with a bit more speed, rather than have it dribble into the pocket or catch the point on a side pocket.

Rod

Drop1
06-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Well I will keep practicing,but if need be I will switch hands. Do you recall a test,where balls one through ten are racked,and after the break,you take cue in hand,and start with the one ball,and sink as many balls as you can,until you miss? My question is,are combos allowed,or does it have to be a straight ten ball run?

Rod
06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Perhaps this is what your looking for? 10 ball (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=228297&amp;Foru m=ccb&amp;Words=Joe%20Tucker&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Sea rchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=3months&amp;Main=227460&amp;Search= true#Post228297)

Rod

Drop1
06-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Thats it,and it looks like rotation is the answer to my question. Thanks

Rod
06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm feel fairly sure combo's are allowed or should be. Never read the whole thread. However if you have to make the 10 ball it would respot and you continue your run from there.

Rod

sofy60
06-26-2006, 03:54 PM
how about hitting it straight in with center . if you hit it straight itll go in the hole. You just have to be as straight a shot as the rail itself. no margin for error and if the nipples are on a nice table the shot will go.

Scott Lee
06-27-2006, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sofy60:</font><hr> how about hitting it straight in with center . if you hit it straight itll go in the hole. You just have to be as straight a shot as the rail itself. no margin for error and if the nipples are on a nice table the shot will go.
<hr /></blockquote>

That won't work with the shot described. When both balls are frozen, the CB will "rub" the cushion, and can't make a square hit on the frozen OB. That's why the inside spin is necessary...along with the right speed.

Scott Lee

TennesseeJoe
07-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Another reason that you cannot hit it straight when the cueball is frozen to the cushion is that the mid point of the cueball is really under the point of the cushion. When you hit the cueball it will bounce up because you cannot hit with a perfectly level cue. This will make the cueball bounce away from the cushion. This is similiar to why this shot cannot be made with outside English (based on a previous post, I hope we know what outside means). Outsiide English will deflect the cueball into the cushion and it will rebound away from the rail.

Of course anything will go if the pockets are big enough.