PDA

View Full Version : The Cup!!!!!

pooltchr
06-20-2006, 02:40 AM
Well, it took 7 games, but the Carolina Hurricanes have brought the first major sports championship ever to the Carolina's, winning the Stanley Cup last night. It was one of the most exciting championship series I can recall with Edmonton fighting back after being down 3 games to 1, to force a game 7. After missing an entire season of NHL, it's a great way to see the sport come back!
Steve

DickLeonard
06-20-2006, 05:24 AM
Pooltchr I hate to throw water on your Major Cup but Hockey took a year off and no one knew it was missing. I didn't knew they were back playing this year.####

Deeman3
06-20-2006, 06:00 AM
Carolina has a hockey team? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman
Congratualtions, all of Carolina.....

Rich R.
06-20-2006, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Carolina has a hockey team? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
What is hockey? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rich R.
06-20-2006, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Carolina has a hockey team? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> What is hockey? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wait, I just remembered.
Hockey is that game where the guys skate around the ice and pick fights. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

catscradle
06-20-2006, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Well, it took 7 games, but the Carolina Hurricanes have brought the first major sports championship ever to the Carolina's, winning the Stanley Cup last night. It was one of the most exciting championship series I can recall with Edmonton fighting back after being down 3 games to 1, to force a game 7. After missing an entire season of NHL, it's a great way to see the sport come back!
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Congratulations to Carolina, but...
I think it is a travesty that they're into JUNE before the Stanley cup is decided. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif For that matter why are they still playing basketball in June? I know, I know, don't answer. Money!!!!
Also as an old-time fan of the NHL when it had 6 teams all in the Northeast and Mid-west, it seems bizarre to me to have teams south of the Mason-Dixon line or west of the Mississippi. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman3
06-20-2006, 08:10 AM
I watched exactly three hockey games in my life. The 1980 "miricle" game, USA vs. Russia, and two Red Wing Games as I had bench passes. I still don't know what "icing" is if it's not on top of a cake. I would think it would be big with minorities as you get to see white guys hit with sticks.

I just can't harken back to the old days when we would have gathered on the ponds in Memphis and played hockey. Oh! We didn't have ice, or skates....or sticks...or nets...

Deeman
What the Puck? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

catscradle
06-20-2006, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> ... I still don't know what "icing" is if it's not on top of a cake... <hr /></blockquote>

FWIW...
Icing in ice hockey occurs when a player shoots the puck across both the red line and the opposing team's goal line without the puck going into the net.

In the Northeast, baseball all summer, basketball when it wasn't baseball season and the ponds weren't frozen, hockey once the ponds froze (between Thanksgiving and Christmas) until the ice got to thin (Mid-February). You could stretch the hockey season by playing on Cranberry bogs because they weren't deep enough to drown if you went through the ice.

wolfdancer
06-20-2006, 10:35 AM
"I still don't know what "icing" is "
...and when the ref whistles for a "Cross Check" you probably think you have to perform that "spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch" thing.
We played a little hockey when I was a kid...nobody had any money....but we had the best equipment. One guy had a job at a warehouse that bordered a huge field...the biggest maker of hockey equipment, CCM, rented space at the warehouse, and oddly enough when my friend was working, the stuff would fall out of the back window into our waiting arms.

Deeman3
06-20-2006, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> "I still don't know what "icing" is "
...and when the ref whistles for a "Cross Check" you probably think you have to perform that "spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch" thing.
We played a little hockey when I was a kid...nobody had any money....but we had the best equipment. One guy had a job at a warehouse that bordered a huge field...the biggest maker of hockey equipment, CCM, rented space at the warehouse, and oddly enough when my friend was working, the stuff would fall out of the back window into our waiting arms. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Wolfman,

Funny you should mention that, The Memphis Police Department used to dump their confiscated firearms off the Memphis/Arkansas Bridge. As scuba divers, some inventive young men (not sure about the statute of limitations) used to wrap chains aroound their 16 year old legs and walk along putting them into sacks. They would go for $10~$50 on the street. Sadly, the cops started seeing the same serial numbers show up in later arrests so they started melting them into manhole covers. Oh well! It was a couple of good years anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Deeman
still have a nice .38 cal. derringer from that time....

wolfdancer
06-20-2006, 11:05 AM
.....the making of a young Republican...

pooltchr
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Pooltchr I hate to throw water on your Major Cup but Hockey took a year off and no one knew it was missing. I didn't knew they were back playing this year.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick,
I hate to throw water on your post, but just because YOU didn't know about it, doesn't mean it wasn't happening. A lot of people would disagree with you. I dare say more people watched some of the final series this year than watched pool in all of the last three years. In the Charlotte tv market, NBC beat everyone during the hockey games, and the team isn't even from Charlotte...they play in Raleigh.
Steve

catscradle
06-20-2006, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> ...nobody had any money....but we had the best equipment. One guy had a job at a warehouse that bordered a huge field...the biggest maker of hockey equipment, CCM, rented space at the warehouse, and oddly enough when my friend was working, the stuff would fall out of the back window into our waiting arms. <hr /></blockquote>

Funny my wife's cousin always used to show up with running shoes that fell out of a New Balance factory where a friend of his worked. That was quite a coincidence, don't you think. (He has pass on since so I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out for him).

dg-in-centralpa
06-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Sorry, I didn't know who was playing either. I never watched a pro hockey game in my life. I've been to a couple AHL games but I don't understand any of it.

DG- went to a fight and a hockey game broke out LOL

wolfdancer
06-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, every true hockey fan knows that the best team, the Buffalo Sabres, unfortunately did not win this year...
It's like the U.S. Open...if Phil, Monty, or El-Drick didn't win...who cares who did luck out????
they have a TV market in Charlotte? Is that anywhere near the Farmer's Market???

pooltchr
06-21-2006, 04:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> they have a TV market in Charlotte? <hr /></blockquote>

Of course we do! And if you run a long wire from the tv to the roof of the trailer and put some rabbit ears up there with some aluminum foil on the ends, you can get FOUR CHANNELS! Of course, you gotta have the wife up there to move it around when you change channels! The only problem is when she is on the roof, I gotta get up to change channels myself!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve

wolfdancer
06-21-2006, 07:52 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
06-21-2006, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Of course we do! And if you run a long wire from the tv to the roof of the trailer and put some rabbit ears up there with some aluminum foil on the ends, you can get FOUR CHANNELS! Of course, you gotta have the wife up there to move it around when you change channels! The only problem is when she is on the roof, I gotta get up to change channels myself! <hr /></blockquote>
I hope your wife comes down once in a while, to get you a cold beer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
06-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Hockey tanked when the players union and the owners pissed a year away fighting over cash. I used to pay $170 a year for the NHL Ticket every year but after that finacial fire drill they had youse guys in North Kackalacki can keep em!! Meanwhile..I'll watch the YANKEES, the World Cup and I wait for the begining of the NFL!!!

pooltchr
06-21-2006, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Hockey tanked when the players union and the owners pissed a year away fighting over cash. I used to pay $170 a year for the NHL Ticket every year but after that finacial fire drill they had youse guys in North Kackalacki can keep em!! Meanwhile..I'll watch the YANKEES, the World Cup and I wait for the begining of the NFL!!! <hr /></blockquote>

As I recall, MLB had their strike year not too long ago....and I remember the year of the substitute players in the NFL. Why would you use the strike/lock-out as an excuse to abandon hockey?
Steve

Stretch
06-21-2006, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Hockey tanked when the players union and the owners pissed a year away fighting over cash. I used to pay $170 a year for the NHL Ticket every year but after that finacial fire drill they had youse guys in North Kackalacki can keep em!! Meanwhile..I'll watch the YANKEES, the World Cup and I wait for the begining of the NFL!!! <hr /></blockquote>

As I recall, MLB had their strike year not too long ago....and I remember the year of the substitute players in the NFL. Why would you use the strike/lock-out as an excuse to abandon hockey?

Don Cherry for Prime Minister! lol St.

Rich R.
06-21-2006, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>As I recall, MLB had their strike year not too long ago....<hr /></blockquote>
MLB has never totally recovered from that strike and I don't think they will, any time soon.

Deeman3
06-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Hockey went on strike?

DickLeonard
06-22-2006, 06:18 AM
Pooltchr I have to count myself among the people who never watch nineball on TV and my one trip to Turning Stone cured me of watching it in person. It is a game best played.####

Voodoo Daddy
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Hockey tanked when the players union and the owners pissed a year away fighting over cash. I used to pay $170 a year for the NHL Ticket every year but after that finacial fire drill they had youse guys in North Kackalacki can keep em!! Meanwhile..I'll watch the YANKEES, the World Cup and I wait for the begining of the NFL!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Don Cherry for Prime Minister! lol St.

<hr /></blockquote>

I loved "Hockey Night in Canada"...he is a pisser. Very truthful and always points out talent to children. His inability to dress without Mr Black throwing up is another story!!!