PDA

View Full Version : Break Shot Grip

Stretch
06-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Hi all, just looking for some input into something that's been popping up lately in books and some players. Conventional wisdom has always been to lengthen your stroke by holding it nearer or on the butt. Now i've heard by various sources that you should choke up a few inches! Just wondering at the rationel behind this. St.

Drop1
06-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Every time I try moving my hand up,I smash it on the edge of the table.

Rich R.
06-22-2006, 02:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Hi all, just looking for some input into something that's been popping up lately in books and some players. Conventional wisdom has always been to lengthen your stroke by holding it nearer or on the butt. Now i've heard by various sources that you should choke up a few inches! Just wondering at the rationel behind this. St. <hr /></blockquote>
A cue maker suggested that I choke up on my break, but, when I tried it, I didn't seem to generate as much power. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I break like a wimp to begin with, so I scrapped that idea.

tjlmbklr
06-22-2006, 05:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Hi all, just looking for some input into something that's been popping up lately in books and some players. Conventional wisdom has always been to lengthen your stroke by holding it nearer or on the butt. Now i've heard by various sources that you should choke up a few inches! Just wondering at the rationel behind this. St. <hr /></blockquote>
A cue maker suggested that I choke up on my break, but, when I tried it, I didn't seem to generate as much power. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I break like a wimp to begin with, so I scrapped that idea. <hr /></blockquote>

Get Bert kinister's video "the Break Rack" and he explains the reason for choking up. I beleive he has another video too on the subject. It might be the "big Bang".

Hope this helps.

Bob_Jewett
06-22-2006, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr>... Bert kinister's video "the Break Rack" and he explains the reason for choking up. ... <hr /></blockquote>
What reason does he give?

ceebee
06-26-2006, 09:32 AM
I like to position my Cue a few inches forward than normal. i.e my bridge &amp; grip hand are just a few inches back of their normal position, but relatively normal in relation to the normal distance. I do this to increase my stroke length. I also position my body midways in my stroke length, so I can maintain great balance through out the stroke.

Alfie
06-26-2006, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I also position my body midways in my stroke length, so I can maintain great balance through out the stroke. <hr /></blockquote>Is your grip hand at your hip when you strike the ball?

BurloakB
06-26-2006, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Hi all, just looking for some input into something that's been popping up lately in books and some players. Conventional wisdom has always been to lengthen your stroke by holding it nearer or on the butt. Now i've heard by various sources that you should choke up a few inches! Just wondering at the rationel behind this. St. <hr /></blockquote>

My theory is this, and I'm sure I'm way off. A break shot stroke has much the same requirements as a power draw shot. You need lots of cue speed and an accurate contact that accelerates through the CB.

With power draw, when I started moving my hand up a bit, (towards the joint), I found that I could increase my cue speed without compromising the accuracy or straightness of my stroke.

With the break shot, I keep my normal bridge length (8-10") but grip a few inches forward. I still get a long stoking action, but the back swing doesn't go as far back as my normal stroke. In other words, I'm starting out closer to perpendicular with the floor. When really throwing the heat out, I find this keeps my stroke more in check.

Either way will work just fine, just depends on the way you play normally. If you are a real heavy hitter and always have a straight stroke, shouldn't be a problem to lengthen the bridge length and move your hand closer to the butt cap.

If under normal playing conditions you favor a more finesse game like Corey Deuel or Marcus Chamat, it's not a bad idea to rein things in a bit to help control the added speed of the break shot. I always play the pocket speed game, but once in a while need to really throw some heat at the CB. Choking up helps me out a lot, but that's just my experience with this topic.

Cornerman
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM

Here's one reason I can think of. If you start out holding farther back of parallel, how far back can you pull your cue? If you start out forward of parallel, how far back can you pull your cue?

I think by starting forward, you might be able to increase the total stroke length by a hand or two. Total length equals the fartherst back to the farthest forward until the tip hits the cueball. And if you subscribe to the idea that your arm is not a pendulum falling under the force of gravity, but rather a force that you control with which you are moving your cue a certain distance, then by starting a hand forward of parallel, you've increased the stroke length and increased speed at contact.

Maybe.
Fred