PDA

View Full Version : find that pool game where all looking for!!

luckyroll
06-22-2006, 06:43 PM
check out this new membership sight by the monk.
its the future for your game online coaching im a gold member and i just thought i would share my great find to help my game.preview the different levels!its got video streaming all threw it!10/10 for improving your game!!me and my whole league team have signed up.its very well done and worth every cent. web page (http://themonkmastersuniversity.com) good luck!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bsmutz
06-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Dude, you need to go back to school and learn to write. Pay attention this time. If I was the monk, I'd be pissed...

bluey2king
06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
I have a few Q's
What has this done for your game? ...and for your friends?
How much does it cost? Is there differnt levels ofmembership?
Do you have any connection with themonk.com besides being a paying member?
Thank You

SPetty
06-23-2006, 11:20 AM
There's not much there and it's poorly built...

I used to subscribe to the Monk's newsletter (which didn't really have a lot of content) until he tried to sign me up for his new MLM supplement selling scheme...

Bob_Jewett
06-23-2006, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> ... If I was the monk, I'd be pissed... <hr /></blockquote>
I thought it was the nature of monks not to be pissed. Except maybe in the UK sense of "pissed."

bsmutz
06-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Uh, that's what I meant, as in "After spending several hours trying to decipher what his erstwhile new advertising executive had come up with for the newly launched campaign, the monk left his monastery, went straight to the bar, and got pissed." On the way home he could be heard loudly exclaiming, "Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now..."

Fran Crimi
06-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Uh oh...Do I smell SPAM on the barbie?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

luckyroll
06-23-2006, 04:29 PM
no i have never even meet the monk.2 i am still in school so working on the writing...but was hoping more on pro pool.3 its given me a routine training program and its helped my winning % and given me a different attitude to playing pool.4 yes there are different levels to sign up bronze$200 silver$400 gold$900 or something like that.Being poorly built thats just personal opinion,i disagree.

Rich R.
06-24-2006, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote luckyroll:</font><hr>i am still in school so working on the writing...<hr /></blockquote>
This is not meant to be nasty, so please don't take it that way. I'm just offering a little bit of unsolicited advise.

Spend more time in school and less time in the pool hall. You will make more money and you will be able to play pool for enjoyment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PoolSharkAllen
06-25-2006, 05:18 PM
From what I've seen of the Monk's writings, it's mostly inspirational mumbo jumbo fluff.

Take, for example, the "lesson one" from the Monk shown in the link below:
http://www.cuetimes.com/Newspaper/05-2006/Page_12.htm

After reading this "lesson" I know no more than I did two minutes ago. This is typical of what he writes. You'd be better off spending your dough on just about anything else.

luckyroll
06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
i respect your opinion and also read the article and must dissagree if you can not make sense of this article or relate to it i do question where you are in your pool game or where you plan to be..???the article simply talks about gaps in your game and with helping each other you can correct these caps etc and improve etc etc.simple..
alot of the GREAT players have recommend him 2 me eg strickland,Grady matthews,and have been told by alot of players even mosconi,and even alot of his material was learned from him eg the 4 strokes.

luckyroll
06-25-2006, 10:12 PM
if this is also true i do question why "point the way" is the best selling pool book in all history?i can see how some dont wanna get into the mental cr#p at times.but would we rather pay $70 an hr to be taught how we are suppose to stand and hold the cue...?and wonder why we just made better shots but still didnt win?so we get another hr lesson....a true instructor does not charge by the hr.

PoolSharkAllen
06-25-2006, 10:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote luckyroll:</font><hr> i respect your opinion and also read the article and must dissagree if you can not make sense of this article or relate to it i do question where you are in your pool game or where you plan to be..???the article simply talks about gaps in your game and with helping each other you can correct these caps etc and improve etc etc.simple..
alot of the GREAT players have recommend him 2 me eg strickland,Grady matthews,and have been told by alot of players even mosconi,and even alot of his material was learned from him eg the 4 strokes. <hr /></blockquote>

If you look closely at the link, you'll see that this isn't a lesson; it's an advertisement to sell a DVD and training sessions. The Monk may be a great teacher in person, but his "written lessons" such as the one I just illustrated, are full of mindless babling.

luckyroll
06-26-2006, 01:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolSharkAllen:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote luckyroll:</font><hr> i respect your opinion and also read the article and must dissagree if you can not make sense of this article or relate to it i do question where you are in your pool game or where you plan to be..???the article simply talks about gaps in your game and with helping each other you can correct these caps etc and improve etc etc.simple..
alot of the GREAT players have recommend him 2 me eg strickland,Grady matthews,and have been told by alot of players even mosconi,and even alot of his material was learned from him eg the 4 strokes. <hr /></blockquote>

If you look closely at the link, you'll see that this isn't a lesson; it's an advertisement to sell a DVD and training sessions. The Monk may be a great teacher in person, but his "written lessons" such as the one I just illustrated, are full of mindless babling.

<hr /></blockquote>i must be miss reading your post then.........its your game not mine
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif lucky

PoolSharkAllen
06-26-2006, 03:28 AM
Lucky, there's no need to make insulting remarks.

I truly hope that the Monk is a better teacher in person than he is in writing columns. Take a look at this link for what your esteemed Monk wrote in March: http://www.cuetimes.com/Newspaper/03-2006/Page_14.htm

As I said in a previous post, the Monk's (written) lessons are full of inspirational fluff. The Monk's writings are full of wishy-washy phases such as: "The continuous unfolding of our skills is where we find our true joy...You see, we need each other. We need to fill in our gaps with friends along the way. This is your first lesson. We are not in this alone. Thank you for sharing this wonderful journey with me."

If you want to read lessons with substance, columnists such as Dr. Dave or Bob Jewett or Nick Varner or Tom Ross can teach you more than the Monk ever will. I repeat that I truly hope that the Monk is a better teacher in person than he is in writing columns.

Stretch
06-26-2006, 03:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote luckyroll:</font><hr> check out this new membership sight by the monk.
its the future for your game online coaching im a gold member and i just thought i would share my great find to help my game.preview the different levels!its got video streaming all threw it!10/10 for improving your game!!me and my whole league team have signed up.its very well done and worth every cent. web page (http://themonkmastersuniversity.com) good luck!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Let me get this straight, your still in school yet you have 900 bucks to slap down for a gold membership. Then you sell his material to all your friends and sign up everyone on your league team?? Then just for good measure you spam the billiard sights with his stuff. Of course this is all due to your deep seated desire to give the best help possible to everyone right? Riiiiight.

I'm not buyin nuthin less i get an autographed Monk doll. St.

luckyroll
06-26-2006, 03:51 AM
hey guys like i said its your game.yeah i am at uni.and yeah i never signed my league up they made a choice like u have.and people like tom ross and tom rossman are monk instructors are they not............i belive this membership sight is for me and thought i would share it.like i said its a choice.the future will tell how many powerful players come from the monk's billiard academy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Stretch
06-26-2006, 04:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote luckyroll:</font><hr> hey guys like i said its your game.yeah i am at uni.and yeah i never signed my league up they made a choice like u have.and people like tom ross and tom rossman are monk instructors are they not............i belive this membership sight is for me and thought i would share it.like i said its a choice.the future will tell how many powerful players come from the monk's billiard academy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Funny, i was with Tom Rossman just a week ago in Vegas. He did a great trick shot exhabition, ran an artistic billiards competion ( i won /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif )and we spoke at length about all kinds of stuff. He never mentioned the Monk once. Not what i'd expect from a "Monk Instructor". Isn't that a bit misleading? If i advocated different stroke speeds for instance would that make me a "monk Instructor" to? St.

Scott Lee
06-26-2006, 05:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote luckyroll:</font><hr> people like tom ross and tom rossman are monk instructors are they not<hr /></blockquote>

Actually, NO they are NOT "Monk instructors"! They are, however, intelligent teachers that offer good practical advice, rather than the etherial "mumbo jumbo" that Tim Miller promotes, and mentioned by the other posters.

Scott Lee

wolfdancer
06-26-2006, 08:50 AM
I kind of enjoy reading Tim's writings...never bought one of his best sellers, but friends have given me theirs. After awhile though, you realise there's not much practical info, just a bit of anglicized Zen.
And sometimes you can include too much info into your ad copy:
in a recent newsletter....his books will no longer be sold....however the contents of "Monk 101" (retail..$30 ?) will be included in the silver level
That's encouraging...I can now spend $500...instead of $30
And then there is in the "billiard tips" an item about how he just corrected an aiming "flaw" due to some left shoulder pain. It's a good tip re extending the bridge arm....but seems like a Monk Master shouldn't have to undergo an "eureka!" moment.
The second tip I'd hope that nobody was watching when I tried it....walking around the table with my eyes shut...clockwise then CCW, to see which is more comfortable for me.
When you have written several books on a particular topic...can you really come up with enough new material to justify raising the ante to $999 ?
Jim Fixx wrote the "The Complete Book of Running" a runaway best seller in the sports book category at the time
then Jim wrote a second edition...not really much new stuff ...you still had to extend one leg forward, while pushing off with the other.
The mind/body connection was studied thoroughly at Esalon...in part because of similiar programs under study in Russia.
They came up with many useful ideas, but never the breakthrough that they hoped for
web page (http://esalen.org/air/esalen_initiativesfoldr/esalen_initiatives2.shtml)
I've read Tim gallway's books as have many here, and Dan Millman's (The Warrior/Athlete... Way of the peaceful warrior) good stuff, but never turned me into the golfing legend that I imagined was hidden deep inside.
I doubt too, that the Monk will turn anybody, not gifted with the pool gene, from the gene pool....into an Efran Reyes.
And a footnote: unfortunately Jim Fixx suffered a fatal heart attack while running.
I could see this happening to your wife, etc...after finding out you blew a $1000....

bsmutz
06-26-2006, 12:29 PM
The only thing that I have or would buy from Tim was the banking video series that Tom Rossman did and that Tim was selling from his web SITE (not sight). If I need to learn how to live, I will contact the Dalai Lama or my local pastor. When I need to learn how to shoot pool, I will contact someone besides Tim. I watched his beginner's video that a friend loaned me and couldn't keep my eyes open. One of the most boring and devoid-of-content instructional videos I have ever seen. It was less interesting than one of Tim Robbin's infomercials and much more ennui inducing.

Scott Lee
06-26-2006, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>
I could see this happening to your wife, etc...after finding out you blew a $1000.... <hr /></blockquote>

Jack...More like YOU, after she finds out you blew $1000, and kicks your A**! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

luckyroll
06-26-2006, 04:56 PM
do you like rap music or do you like rock?jam or peanut butter?is the monk for all of you probably not but he is for some of us.scott would i true instructor run another down??probably not....and ross and rossman call it what you want but they are always doing workshops together and i herd about some drcue and the monk ones coming up...

luckyroll
06-26-2006, 05:04 PM
so everyone must have fell in the same trap with buying point the way..i mean it is the best seller in pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifmaybe when scott realease his it will be...
good luck to all of you see you in the final.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
06-26-2006, 06:10 PM
The Monk's writings appeal to many players, and as you note "Point the Way" is the all time best seller about Pool.
For the most part though, it is repackaged, Zen, Gallway, Millman, Michael Murphy, etc.
It's inspirational stuff...free the mind, and become the player in your sport that you were meant to be.
I liked the "Four Strokes" idea, since at the time, I had no stroke. and long before the Monk advocated the 2-7-2 as a practice routine....Johnny Holiday featured it in his book "Encyclopedia of Pool" now out of print.
I think the problem here is while the Gold Package may be right for you and your friends/teammates...it's not for everybody. and you can't sell something to somebody, if they don't want to buy it.
I would have just recommended the program...and not tried to argue it's merits, against players that don't believe that the Monk locked "hisself" up in the cellar for 3 years, to practice pool. I'd be disappointed if i did that and didn't become Pool's all time best player.
(Maybe they just told him it was a cellar, a padded one ....and he could go out if he really wanted to, but why not continue your studies?)

pooltchr
06-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Wolf,
I know Tim, and he is a great person. I read "Point the Way", and found some good things in it for me. I also passed over a lot of things in it. Tim has his ideas, and some of them may not match up with what most of the BCA instructors, such as Scott and myself among others, believe to be the best methods of teaching.

I find that most books on pool will have some good in them and some not so good. The trick is to pick up the stuff from them that can actually help, and ignore the rest. I was reading Kohler's Science of Pocket Billiards the other day. Lots of excellent material...but some glaring errors as well. The only things I teach are the things that I have proven to myself, and that I know to be true. I am glad that I had RandyG to help me start out as an instructor. Every thing I learned in his class, I have seen demonstrated, and been given the chance to demonstrate it myself. It makes for a pretty solid foundation.

As for Scott's comments, I know he is as passionate about his teaching as I am. We all tend to get a little frustrated when we see things presented that may be a little less than accurate. Scott isn't selling books...he's offering a service to anyone who wants to improve their pool game.

Steve

Scott Lee
06-26-2006, 08:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Scott isn't selling books...he's offering a service to anyone who wants to improve their pool game.
<hr /></blockquote>

Steve...Nope, not yet, anyway. Hmmmm...think I'll re-title my book "Pointing the way...to a better pool game!" Of course, it'll come with a few REAL pointers! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

luckyroll
06-26-2006, 10:51 PM
scott do you have any idea how much the monk has done for pool.how can you make fun of the the best selling author in pool.this whole book costs less than half of your $75 an hr coaching on how if you stand like this and accelerate threw the c/b blah blah....you will win...or the law of physics is...there is only one way to make contact with this and that blah blah. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifwhen really pool is all about instinct and seeing the shot..also do you have a half a million dollar website like the monk?..is yours pool knowledge.com? worst 75 bucks i spent on lessons lol...you scammmmmmmm the billiard forums making out other instructors are crap so they come to you......i have read your posts b4 too...lol
chow /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

luckyroll
06-26-2006, 11:06 PM
scott if earl strickland cues with his stick on the side of his face and efren grips so loss and drops his arm on every shot etcetc how come are they the best in the world??this should put your coaching outta business.....we dont need to stand hold grip stroke pause the same like the crap you teach....lol c u

PoolSharkAllen
06-26-2006, 11:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote luckyroll:</font><hr> scott do you have any idea how much the monk has done for pool.how can you make fun of the the best selling author in pool.this whole book costs less than half of your $75 an hr coaching on how if you stand like this and accelerate threw the c/b blah blah....you will win...or the law of physics is...there is only one way to make contact with this and that blah blah. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifwhen really pool is all about instinct and seeing the shot..also do you have a half a million dollar website like the monk?..is yours pool knowledge.com? worst 75 bucks i spent on lessons lol...you scammmmmmmm the billiard forums making out other instructors are crap so they come to you......i have read your posts b4 too...lol
chow /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Lucky: I have no idea what the Monk has done for pool. However, based upon the crappy written lessons I've seen the Monk write, I'd take Scott's lessons hands down over the Monk any day.

luckyroll
06-27-2006, 03:30 AM
well i have taken lessons from both instructors and learning about the inner game helped me more.seing the game is 80% mental...

Scott Lee
06-27-2006, 08:40 AM
luckyroll...Are you sure you've had a lesson from me? When? Where? If you were so dissatisfied with your lesson with me (I have NO idea who you are, btw, and you don't seem to want to identify yourself...feel free to PM me if you like), why didn't you say so, at the time? I wouldn't have taken your money (as I offer satisfaction guaranteed)! Out of 1000's of students you're the first to mention that you didn't learn anything! Didn't you get a chance to fill out the BCA instructor evaluation form?

You said you've taken lessons from both Tim Miller and me, yet here is your own quote:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote luckyroll:</font><hr> no i have never even meet the monk.2 i am still in school so working on the writing...but was hoping more on pro pool.3 its given me a routine training program and its helped my winning % and given me a different attitude to playing pool.<hr /></blockquote>

Working one on one with an instructor is a world of difference from reading a book, or a website...and let's see, your mention of "the worst $75 I ever spent" says to me that either you only spent one hour with me (unlikely), or because you're a 'poor college student', I gave you a deal, and worked with you much longer (2 hrs or more, AND videotaped you...have you watched that tape much?).

Actually I like my website (and have had many compliments on it)...and no, it didn't cost $500,000! LOL According to some of the other comments about the Monk's site, perhaps he should have spent more?

BTW, the game is only 80% mental AFTER you learn how to set up and stroke the CB repeatably and accurately. Can you do that yet?

Now...about other instructors. I have the utmost respect for instructors who really have made significant contributions to the sport. The only ones I have made negative commments about (and you're right, I probably shouldn't), are the ones who do and say things that mislead other people. IMO, some of what the Monk says, and has written, does that. Notice I said SOME, not all. Even when confronted by his peers (not me), that some things are wrong, his reply was, "Well, I'm not going to change the book!" Okay...that's his prerogative. That doesn't mean it's right!

Scott Lee

wolfdancer
06-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Scott, seems like you were teaching crappy stuff like SPSF, and stance, and eye alignment.....and Earl/Efran don't do any of that stuff....they just walk up and think .."do not try to shoot the arrow grasshopper, let the arrow shoot itself..."

Fran Crimi
06-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Scott, it would've been nice if he spelled 'Mosconi' right in one of his books. It ends in 'i' not 'e'. Ol' Willie must've been doing flips in his grave. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

bsmutz
06-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Uh, Scott, I think we're talking "poor grade school student" here. If "The Monk" paid half a million dollars for that web site, he got burned big time. Luckyroll, you are obviously missing many of the ingredients that enable most people to make sound decisions. Your money would be better spent educating yourself about life than pool. What's up with the "chow" at the end of this post? Are you calling Scott a dog or food? Or is this some feeble attempt to display your international savoir faire by trying to use the Italian word "ciao" to say good-bye?

Stretch
06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Scott, seems like you were teaching crappy stuff like SPSF, and stance, and eye alignment.....and Earl/Efran don't do any of that stuff....they just walk up and think .."do not try to shoot the arrow grasshopper, let the arrow shoot itself..." <hr /></blockquote>

lol, in the case of the pro's, i suppose if they do the wrong thing right every time they can adjust till it's working. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Heah, when your talking about strokes, and stance and shot makeing this to me falls under the catagory of "the basics" this is where the teaching process really boosts a players ability. Beyond that everyone develops thier own style. Every pro shoots differently i believe because they were the best at "owning" thier stroke consistantly. Buy owning i mean the stroke has to come from inside first. By Controling yourself, you control the shot. The last frontier to discover for every player looking for the secret to that lies right between thier ears. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

DickLeonard
06-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Wolfdancer I heard of a player who would check himself into the mental ward to play on their pooltable and get back in stroke. Of course they had to meddle with his mind while he was visiting.

I don't want to mention names but I think Fran knows of whom I speak.####

PoolSharkAllen
06-29-2006, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Wolfdancer I heard of a player who would check himself into the mental ward to play on their pooltable and get back in stroke. Of course they had to meddle with his mind while he was visiting.

I don't want to mention names but I think Fran knows of whom I speak.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Since this thread is about the Monk, it wouldn't take a genius to guess that Dick is implying that the Monk was in a mental ward. If that's the case, I think that's an unwarranted smear on the Monk and probably out-of-line for this thread.

Scott Lee
06-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Honestly, I don't think Dick is talking about the Monk, who, like many instructors, was never regarded as a "player". Dick is talking about a former pro player.
jmo

Scott Lee

PoolSharkAllen
06-29-2006, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Honestly, I don't think Dick is talking about the Monk, who, like many instructors, was never regarded as a "player". Dick is talking about a former pro player.
jmo

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Hopefully, Dick's comment wasn't about the Monk. But the comment does appear to be irrelevant to this thread...and perhaps inadvertanly opens a new can of worms as to what Dick is talking about.

bsmutz
06-29-2006, 11:26 AM
IMO, this thread started out wormy...

Scott Lee
06-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Right Bill! I notice that luckyroll hasn't come back to say anything more after my last post to him. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps he's a shill (it sure sounded like it, in his first post)? It wouldn't be the first time an "instructor" came on here, under an assumed name, to promote themselves! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee