PDA

View Full Version : missed shots in straight pool

07-10-2002, 01:58 PM
After watching players in my room play, I noticed that people miss shots in straight pool that
they never miss playing 8 or 9 ball. Is it knowing an opponet could run out from the miss?
What is your opinion.
thanks to all

9 Ball Girl
07-10-2002, 02:01 PM
I think that sometimes missed shots in straight pool happen because the person is thinking about breaking the pack instead of thinking about making the shot. It happens to me too. JMO /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-10-2002, 02:29 PM
ABSOLUTELY....

If you miss a shot in 9 ball... what the worse thing that can happen? You lose one game. If you miss a shot in 14.1, your opponnent might run 60. There is MORE pressure not to miss in straight pool. That's why I SUCK at it

J--

Tom_In_Cincy
07-10-2002, 03:46 PM
Mickey,.
I know why I use to miss shots in 14.1 that I would normally make in anyother game.
Too many distractions to be able to focus and concentrate on what I was suppose to be doing.
I had to develope a pre-shot routine that helped me manage the distractions and regain the focus needed to perform on each shot.
The Pre-shot routine is nothing more than you thinking about only the aspects of the shot at hand. Angles, setup, shape, speed, english, rails (if necessary) and then the execution.
Distractions can be, the score (close games are pressure packed excitement), your score (behind or ahead), defence, key ball setup, break ball shape, how to get out of a safety without giving up the rack or just not being confident with what you are about to do..

I love the game and wish I played it better than I do.. high run is only 42 and that was many years ago when I had half the brain I do now..

07-10-2002, 11:43 PM
I don't know... I think this concept is a little overblown. I've heard it many times myself, and I'm not sure I really believe it.

I agree with Jason, though, about there being much more pressure playing 14.1 than playing 9-ball. This is a mathematical fact. At virtually any level of play, an error in straight pool will cost you a higher percentage of the total match than an error in 9-ball.

Still, I don't think this enters many players' minds when playing 14.1. When they miss a hanger, they just naturally say, "I'd never miss that playing 9-ball.". When, in fact, they probably would.

- Steve Lipsky

07-11-2002, 12:49 AM
straight is altogether different game. i think what you refer to is because players freestroke in 9ball and have a wider margin of error. but when they switch to straight, they have to hold back on their stroke because the margin of error is smaller. so they'll choke on the shot.

straight is also mentally more tiring compared to 9ball.

07-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the replys, pretty much the same as I figured.