PDA

View Full Version : Pool Cue's Joint/Pin

ANGEBONES
06-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey, how can you tell what joint your cue is? I am looking to buy a predator for my cue and even from these pictures...

http://predatorcues.com/images/joint_selector.pdf

...I couldnt tell if my cue is the 5/16 x 14 or 5/16 x 18: Its too close to call. Is there maybe a way I could count the threads or measure something to know for sure before buy it?

Cueless Joey
06-25-2006, 08:28 PM
What kind of cue is it?
Meucci and Viking use 5/16 18.
Joss and Schon use 5/16 14.

BurloakB
06-25-2006, 08:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ANGEBONES:</font><hr> Hey, how can you tell what joint your cue is? I am looking to buy a predator for my cue and even from these pictures...

http://predatorcues.com/images/joint_selector.pdf

...I couldnt tell if my cue is the 5/16 x 14 or 5/16 x 18: Its too close to call. Is there maybe a way I could count the threads or measure something to know for sure before buy it? <hr /></blockquote>
This Link (http://www.seyberts.com/cue_accessories/joint_protectors/jointtypes.htm) might help.

If you have a joint protector cap, unscrew it so there is a half inch between the joint face and the base of the cap. Count the number of threads you see and multiply by 2 for threads per inch number.

Just be sure you know the pin diameter.

ANGEBONES
06-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Heres where it gets complicated: Its a helmstetter. I found that most helmstetters are 5/16 x 14 but I have a VIP edition cue, if it makes a difference. And it looks more like the 5/16 x 18, but I didnt know so thats why I asked if there was a way I could tell for sure.

And I dont have a joint protector cap. Cant I just still measure a half inch with a ruler and count the threads? Also how will threads per inch number help me?

Thanks

Cueless Joey
06-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Count how many threads in one inch.
Or take a picture.
5/16 18 are usually are flatfaced.
5/16 14 are piloted most of the time. Meaning the brass insert in the shaft has some brass sticking out.

BurloakB
06-25-2006, 08:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ANGEBONES:</font><hr> Heres where it gets complicated: Its a helmstetter. I found that most helmstetters are 5/16 x 14 but I have a VIP edition cue, if it makes a difference. And it looks more like the 5/16 x 18, but I didnt know so thats why I asked if there was a way I could tell for sure.

And I dont have a joint protector cap. Cant I just still measure a half inch with a ruler and count the threads? Is that what the 14 and 18 represent in 5/16 x 18 and 5/16 x 14, thread count? <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, 18 represents how many threads there are in one inch. 5/16 is the diameter of the pin. I looked at a picture of a VIP Helmstetter and it looks like 5/16 x 18 to me. I use 5/16 x 14 Joss and it looks like there's a higher thread frequency. If you don't get the right thread number, the shaft will not screw onto the cues butt.

BTW - You really should get joint caps if you have a nice cue. Sooner or later, you will drop it unassembled, then kiss the nice straight pin goodbye.

ANGEBONES
06-25-2006, 08:39 PM
I was afraid to go by flatfaced/piloted. It is flatfaced though.

Edit- Lucky me, i found a picture (with a good view of the joint) of my exact cue (the wrap is different but who cares). Guess I dont have to take a picture.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=24659

Scroll down to the first picture you see.

And Thanks for the advice about joint caps, I was going to get them down the line, but I never knew which pin I had. Going to get the ruler so we will find out soon enough.

Thanks for all the help!!!

ANGEBONES
06-25-2006, 09:43 PM
I was going to just edit the other post for the millionth time, but I figured I would just post again:

I measured, and I got 9 threads per half inch, or 18 threads per inch. This means the 5/16 x 18 is right for me, right?

Please still look at the picture from my last post to be sure, because I'm not ordering it until tomorrow night anyway, and it could only help. Thanks for all your help, and for telling me how to find out for sure which is the right shaft. You've just saved me 240 bucks (I'll overnight it becaue I am very impatient).

Cornerman
06-26-2006, 05:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ANGEBONES:</font><hr>
...I couldnt tell if my cue is the 5/16 x 14 or 5/16 x 18: Its too close to call. Is there maybe a way I could count the threads or measure something to know for sure before buy it? <hr /></blockquote>Of course. That's the way you would tell anyway.

Take a ruler and count the threads. The '14' means 14 threads for every inch. That also means 7 threads every 1/2 inch (if you don't have an inch to measure). 5/16-18 would have 18 threads per inch, or 9 threads per 1/2 inch.

It's my experience when counting this way for 1/2 inch, there is no question whether it is 7 or 9 threads.

(EDIT: Looked at your posts and photo link. Looks like you're all set. 5/16-18).

Fred

ANGEBONES
06-26-2006, 07:04 AM
SWEET, Thanks so much to all of you, and thanks for looking at the picture, it makes me feel a lot better.

Off to Seyberts!

BurloakB
06-26-2006, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ANGEBONES:</font><hr> SWEET, Thanks so much to all of you, and thanks for looking at the picture, it makes me feel a lot better.

Off to Seyberts! <hr /></blockquote>
You're welcome.

Have you considered buying from Platinum Billiards?. They have the newest version of the 314 shaft for $191, click here (http://www.platinumbilliards.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_185&amp;products_id=1002778) .

Muellers has the original 314 for $184.00 click here (http://www.poolndarts.com/p-5885-Predator-Shaft/).

ANGEBONES
06-26-2006, 07:44 PM
I really have my heart set on the Z squared. I play with a 314 now, which is great. The only thing I didnt like is 13mm (12.75mm if you want to be specific) tip. I like a smaller tip better. Also many people dont like the Z's taper, but I have played with it and love it. I havent seen any reviews of the Z squared, so when I get it tomorrow I will post one, I am sure I will love it!