PDA

View Full Version : Giving Weight in 8 ball

tdurden87
06-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I was just curious about the different ways to give weight, especially in 8-ball. I know in 9 ball you can give them 'the last two balls' but does a parralel exist for 8-ball? I know you can give them the break, but surely there has to be something else.

Thanks,
Mark

Sid_Vicious
06-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Games spotted on the wire is most common, but you can ask or give the 8. You simply don't have to shoot and make it when your suit is gone from the table. It's a huge spot...sid

ras314
06-26-2006, 12:14 PM
If a new player I usually shoot my balls in order. Or shoot offhanded if they are a little better (I really do need to practice that).

Then there is always the old spot of dropping all the opponents balls but one after the break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All kinds of ways to give a weaker player an edge, different rules for fouls between players, bank the 8 for the stronger player, no more than some given number of balls an inning, and so on.

Only spot I've seen in tournaments is to give up games on the wire though.

BurloakB
06-26-2006, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tdurden87:</font><hr> I was just curious about the different ways to give weight, especially in 8-ball. I know in 9 ball you can give them 'the last two balls' but does a parralel exist for 8-ball? I know you can give them the break, but surely there has to be something else.

Thanks,
Mark <hr /></blockquote>
Round here the most common weight is the better player has to bank the 8 in. Even harder, make the 8 a two rail bank, or you have to bank every object ball in.

SpiderMan
06-26-2006, 12:30 PM
There's a weekly tournament just north of Dallas that's had a fairly complicated 8-ball handicap system in place for four or five years. The TD keeps track of everyone's week-to-week finishes, and has an algorithm for adjusting ratings up and down. This, combined with a deep (not top-loaded) payout, has keep participation by lesser-skilled players fairly high.

Players have to give up balls as well as games, depending on skill differences. You can be spotted the eight, meaning that when you get down to the eight, you don't have to shoot it. Doesn't sound like much of a spot, but it really is, especially if the table is cluttered and you pick the group that isn't clustered around the eight. Getting the eight in 8-ball is like getting the seven in 9-ball. I think it's tougher than giving a game on the wire in a race to 3, which is another available spot. And of course getting the 8 and the last ball before the 8 is a tremendous handicap. BTW, there's a chart to tell you what the spot is for any two given rankings (I think there are four or five ranking levels).

SpiderMan

Billy
06-26-2006, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tdurden87:</font><hr> I was just curious about the different ways to give weight, especially in 8-ball. I know in 9 ball you can give them 'the last two balls' but does a parralel exist for 8-ball? I know you can give them the break, but surely there has to be something else.

Thanks,
Mark <hr /></blockquote>

take balls off the table that they will not have to shoot

but instead of taking them off early in the game which only 'helps' the better player, they are not removed until the end of the game

example - lesser player gets two balls removed

he or she will make the easiest five then will remove two then will shoot the eight

jmo

sofy60
06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
stand on one leg.. one eye shut and shoot wrong handed. Oh yes and bank everything in order. triple bank the 8 ball.

This would even up Mike Sigel and my MoM

sofy60
06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
oh and how about just the breaks ?

walt8880
06-26-2006, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
take balls off the table that they will not have to shoot

but instead of taking them off early in the game which only 'helps' the better player, they are not removed until the end of the game

example - lesser player gets two balls removed

he or she will make the easiest five then will remove two then will shoot the eight

jmo <hr /></blockquote>

Agree. If you are giving up balls, taking them off at the beginning favors the better player

marek
06-27-2006, 01:21 AM
Hi!
I have two methods of giving weight in 8ball. First my opponent gets the break and it doesnt matter if any ball is potted on the break he/she continues. Second method is much bigger help for my opponent - he gets 2(3,4...) innings for my 1 inning. With this method you can make the match equal with anybody, you and your opponent get approximatelly the same share of balls potted. Works perfectly /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scott Lee
06-27-2006, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BurloakB:</font><hr> you have to bank every object ball in. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll take THAT spot anytime! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

Pogue
09-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Well, when I first met my soon to be wife, I was playing the best pool of my life. She could make 2 or 3 balls in a row, and an even game between us on a GC with Simonis was:

She played normally, I played one handed, and had to bank the 8 ball wherever my last ball went.

When she wasn't getting any shots at first, I started bank the 8... Still ran out.

Then, I played the 8 ball in my last pocket, straight up.. Still ran out.

Then, I played one handed. Still ran out a lot, but not as often as before. Almost always got out the second inning, tho.

Then, out of desperation to make the game even, I went to one handed, bank the eight in my last pocket.

It was monstrous weight, and made the game almost exactly even.

I used to play pretty sporty...

Pogue

Ronoh
09-08-2006, 10:31 PM
That is a tough one to follow. It's so tough, I like that as an idea for a drill. Students will like it.

Only time will tell.