PDA

View Full Version : Pool and headphones

DrSnooze
06-27-2006, 05:57 AM
Lately I've been listening to music when I shoot by myself, which is about once a week. Anyone else do this? If so, do you have a good headphone solution? I use a set of earbuds that are ok, but occasionally the wire bothers me a little when I'm setting up.

cycopath
06-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Bring the earbud wires through the back of your shirt. It keeps the wires from dangling down while you play.

Scott Lee
06-27-2006, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DrSnooze:</font><hr> I use a set of earbuds that are ok, but occasionally the wire bothers me a little when I'm setting up. <hr /></blockquote>

Try wearing them, so that the wire goes behind your head and down your back, instead of under your chin. That should keep it out of the way of your stroke!

Scott Lee

kevinkins
06-28-2006, 07:00 PM
How does the lack of sound from the table affect your play?
I mean the sounds of the cue hitting th CBe and the CB hitting the OB?

Kevin

DickLeonard
06-29-2006, 06:45 AM
Kevikins years ago I tried playing with ear plugs to cut down on the sideline chatter. It was then that I realized that the sound of the cuetip striking the cueball was an integral part of playing pool and quickly discarded the ear plugs.

It's better to try shutting out the chatter in your mind than lose the audio/mind/tip sensation.####

Rich R.
06-29-2006, 08:26 AM
I personally think that wearing the headphones is being a little disrespectful of your opponents. You can't hear if they say something to you and you have to unplug, before talking to them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I saw a very funny thing last weekend, at a tournament.
Both players in a match were wearing headphones.
After a break, the shooter wanted to push out. Because both were wearing headphones, the shooter had to waive their hands to get the other players attention and then had to use sign language to indicate the push. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will continue to be headphone free. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bsmutz
06-29-2006, 09:55 AM
You bring up a good point, Rich. I've found in practice sessions that I seem to be able to concentrate more fully on my play when there is no music. I love music and I think whenever something is playing (or even a commercial for that matter), part of my mind is following along. For that reason, I think listening through head phones or earbuds to some type of self-affirmations or positive statements about your pool ability might actually help improve concentration as well as minimizing distractions. I wouldn't personally use them for the reasons mentioned above. I like to hear what's going on when I play.

Scott Lee
06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Kevikins years ago I tried playing with ear plugs to cut down on the sideline chatter. It was then that I realized that the sound of the cuetip striking the cueball was an integral part of playing pool and quickly discarded the ear plugs.

It's better to try shutting out the chatter in your mind than lose the audio/mind/tip sensation.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick...I agree with you. However, Shane VanBoening, the young sensation from S. Dakota, is totally deaf in both ears, and is one of the top young IPT pros. He told me he can turn off his hearing aids, and still "feel" the hit of the cue. He is an anomaly for sure...and shoots lights out!

Scott Lee

kevinkins
06-29-2006, 02:32 PM
I think it is known that people who lose sensations can often compensate in some way.

I think we have seen posts that folks play better or get in the groove when music is playing. As long as it is familiar to them it does not distract and may help with the rhythm.

Kevin

Scott Lee
06-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Kevin...You're right! B.J. Ussery, a Georgia pro, is a good example. He plays every match with headphones and music.

Scott Lee

cuechick
06-30-2006, 02:44 PM
B.J. is from South Carolina, not Georgia...

Bumps
06-30-2006, 04:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> B.J. is from South Carolina, not Georgia... <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, according to AZ Billiards and the guys from SC that I know, he's from North Carolina.

Scott Lee
06-30-2006, 07:27 PM
My mistake lady and sir...No disrespect intended. I know "all y'all" are proud of your roots! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif B.J. is a great player, and does wear his headphones in all his matches!

Scott Lee

Vincent_M
07-01-2006, 11:16 AM
What would you say to cordless headphones? I have seen them around, small, compact, but Still able to putout POWER!
I saw a pair at wal-mart, or you can just make a pair. Recivers and colliums, it's not really that hard.

tdurden87
07-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Whenever I practice, I just listen to a mix on my iPod; It helps keep out the sound of my mom yelling at me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ARJ
07-02-2006, 06:22 PM
A few months ago I had to listen to a diatribe by a loud mouth jerk. I just went out to the car and grabbed my Ipod, problem solved. Run the wires up your shirt, no sweat.

To end this, I don't think you're showing a great amount of respect to your opponent by wearing the headphones however to avoid an altercation it's a great. Of course in practice it's all good. At the right levels I don't think it messes with your sensory perception too badly. I also think it helps you create a rhythm to your game.

ARJ

Njhustler1
07-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I think its silly they let people play in tournaments with headphones. no other sport lets you do it. granted they help, but i think that also detracts from the fairness of the game. a player shouldnt have the advantage of being able to get in their zone via an accessory. just my two cents.

onepocketfanatic
07-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Most of the time,if I am really concentrating, I don't hear anything (of course unless there is some really LOUD a$$hole being obnoxious near the table). Of course the bigger the stakes, the less I hear. Sometimes a person will apologize for walking in front of the table just as I pull the trigger (and of course miss), but rarely do I actually see them.
An old retired guy I used to gamble with had a great solution for those guys that are really loud, and can't keep their mouth shut....he would ask them to "please shut the f*ck up, we are trying to play pool here....if you want to yell...to outside". Of course, there were some harsh words exchanged occasionally....but for the most part,it worked....they usually shut up.
I miss the guy as we used to have some really great matches, and he was loaded with great information about the game. He got tremors so bad that his arm on the butt of the cue shook so bad he started losing his accuracy, so he reitired from pool. He just couldn't stand missing those shots he knew he should make.
There is definitely something to be said for experience. He was a wealth of information (about one pocket moves, banks, and caroms). I learned a lot from the "lessons" he used to give. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif