PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Cues

07-10-2002, 03:33 PM
I would like to know what type of tips and ferrules Southwest Cues normally uses unless ivory is specified. Also, I would like to hear other's opinions and comments on Southwset, Richard Black and Jim Buss all of which I now own one each

Cueless Joey
07-10-2002, 03:37 PM
SW uses Micarta ferrules normally I believe. They turn yellow when they get old. They hit great though.

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 05:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> SW uses Micarta ferrules normally I believe. They turn yellow when they get old. They hit great though. <hr></blockquote>

Hi Joey,

They used to use strickly Melamine, that is sumwhat translucent with an Ivory cast. They turned yellow after time.

Jerry, decided to make the move to Micarta with a slight Ivory cast, later on and have stayed with it.

Regards,

C.C.

Cueless Joey
07-10-2002, 05:46 PM
&lt;
Chris, I had no idea melamine turns yellow over time. Are you sure? My local cuemaker even tells me aegis and melamine are the same. He claims micarta turn yellow. Even those micarta inlays.

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 05:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kelly:</font><hr> I would like to know what type of tips and ferrules Southwest Cues normally uses unless ivory is specified. Also, I would like to hear other's opinions and comments on Southwset, Richard Black and Jim Buss all of which I now own one each <hr></blockquote>

Hi Kelly,

Sorry, but the cues your mentioning, are pure junk. If I were you, I'd dump them cheap. Now, where to sell them? Just get my email from the top of the screen and I'll see, what I can do. Don't make any promises but, I'll take them off your hands only, because your new here. I feel most sympathetic for this young woman and must help. I think Kato would agree.

Regards,

C.C.~~poor thing got ripped off.

Cueless Joey
07-10-2002, 06:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Kelly:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I would like to know what type of tips and ferrules Southwest Cues normally uses unless ivory is specified. Also, I would like to hear other's opinions and comments on Southwset, Richard Black and Jim Buss all of which I now own one each &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Hi Kelly,

Sorry, but the cues your mentioning, are pure junk. If I were you, I'd dump them cheap. Now, where to sell them? Just get my email from the top of the screen and I'll see, what I can do. Don't make any promises but, I'll take them off your hands only, because your new here. I feel most sympathetic for this young woman and must help. I think Kato would agree.

Regards,

C.C.~~poor thing got ripped off. <hr></blockquote>
That's mightily nice of you Chris. How many of these junk cues have you placed in your locally funded Cue Orphanage so far?

Voodoo Daddy
07-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Melamine yellows due to lack of light, much like pool balls that arent used for some time. The old 3M Micarta was fantastic but whrn they stopped making it and G.E. started too the look and feel wasnt there. As far as Kelly's cues...the Southwest and the Buss are keepers for sure but I would sell that R. Black and spend the money on another Southwest!!

Voodoo

07-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Chris Cass I think you are full of bull!!! Yes I am new to the web site but not to pool. Been at it twenty something years. I think the truth is that you would love to own the cues I mentioned and that you may be the type of person to take advantage of poor unsuspecting souls. I must admit I do not know much about Southwest but I do have high regard for Richard Black and Jim Buss and know them on a personal Basis.

Regards, Mr. Kelly

Cueless Joey
07-10-2002, 07:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kelly:</font><hr> Chris Cass I think you are full of bull!!! Yes I am new to the web site but not to pool. Been at it twenty something years. I think the truth is that you would love to own the cues I mentioned and that you may be the type of person to take advantage of poor unsuspecting souls. I must admit I do not know much about Southwest but I do have high regard for Richard Black and Jim Buss and know them on a personal Basis.

Regards, Mr. Kelly <hr></blockquote>....
Kelly, Chris was just kidding.

Voodoo Daddy
07-10-2002, 09:07 PM
Easy Kelly...Chris is one of the good guys on this board. A man that wouldnt say Sh*t if he had a mouth full of it. He was having just a lil fun at your expense...and he owns one of the prettiest Southwest cues on the planet!!! As far as YOUR regard for Buss {whom I have never met, but makes a nice cue} and Black {who I have met and didnt like him or his cues at all}...big deal. They are just men who build cues.

Voodoo...standing up for fellow tribes-men, C.C.!!!

ted harris
07-10-2002, 09:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
They used to use strickly Melamine, that is sumwhat translucent with an Ivory cast. They turned yellow after time.
Jerry, decided to make the move to Micarta with a slight Ivory cast, later on and have stayed with it.
<hr></blockquote>
I could be mistaken but...They used to use micarta, and then switched to melamine a few years ago when they ran out of micarta. The melamine is very white, and will not yellow. Not that I have seen anyway.

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 10:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ted harris:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
I could be mistaken but...They used to use micarta, and then switched to melamine a few years ago when they ran out of micarta. The melamine is very white, and will not yellow. Not that I have seen anyway. <hr></blockquote>

Hi Ted,

You could be right. I'm not a cue maker nor a rerpair person. I'm going by what Lori Franklin told me. Either way their good cues and I own one. They all have ivory ferrules. All, six shafts. hahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~nice reply Ted.

TonyM
07-10-2002, 10:21 PM
Ted is right, you have got the materials right, but the order backwards.

Tony
-likes Micarta, and Melamine...

JimS
07-10-2002, 10:27 PM
Hi Kelly,

You are absolutely correct....Chris Cass IS full of bull/fun /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ...and we all know it and love the guy because of it. But.....he is NOT, REPEAT, NOT one of those people to take advantage of ANYONE under ANY circumstance. He has a true heart of gold. And, I think that your post was as much with tongue in cheek as his! But I/we all had to make sure you understood where Chris is coming from. It's hard to be sure of the tone behind the words when they are in print instead of spoken where the tone and facial expression and other body language make the real meaning more clear. But I think I detected as much "bull" in your reply to him as he put out to start with. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I think that South West cues are the best on the planet but that's just my preference. Sorry I don't know what their default ferrule and tip materials are.....and I should!

Welcome and thanks for the laugh! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-10-2002, 10:28 PM
OK I am now confused. Is it Micarta or Melmine? I would suppose that whatever it is, that it is an acceptable material since Southwest gets good reviews. Usually!!!

Regards, Kelly

Cueless Joey
07-10-2002, 10:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kelly:</font><hr> OK I am now confused. Is it Micarta or Melmine? I would suppose that whatever it is, that it is an acceptable material since Southwest gets good reviews. Usually!!!

Regards, Kelly <hr></blockquote>.....
Used to be Micarta. Now, melamine.

07-10-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi,Jim
I accept your chacterization of Chris and have enjoyed reading the post. It is good to find out what other people are interested in.

Regards, Kelly

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 10:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kelly:</font><hr> Chris Cass I think you are full of bull!!! Yes I am new to the web site but not to pool. Been at it twenty something years. I think the truth is that you would love to own the cues I mentioned and that you may be the type of person to take advantage of poor unsuspecting souls. I must admit I do not know much about Southwest but I do have high regard for Richard Black and Jim Buss and know them on a personal Basis.

Regards, Mr. Kelly <hr></blockquote>

Kelly,

Nothing, gets past you, does it? LMAO Seriously, There's a smiley face at the top of my post, that's winking. That indicates, kidding.

Sure, I was mistaken by your name as others might mistake mine for a woman. That, I apologize for. As far as taking or trying to take advantage of a unsuspecting soul for their cues go? Do you honestly believe someone would pay the kind of money you did, for a cue and not know what they're worth?

Now, the good part. This board is a friendly type place and fun is what we have, at eachothers expense. So, pull up a chair, relax and hold on because, you haven't met Rackmup yet. LOL No wait, you haven't met our local Alien either. LMAO

Taking advantage of an unsuspecting soul? Nope, I'm not that type. I'm a player that would rather play you for the cues sooner than cheat you out of them. They all sound nice. I've met Richard Black in St.Charles, Il. at an Open 9ball event in 1991. I know they're worth although, I'm mainly a South West fan. Buss? Don't know about never seen nor heard of him but that's not unusual for me.

I apologize for rude post but, consider yourself officially initiated.

Regards,

C.C.~~darn, he was wise to the move.

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 10:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
That's mightily nice of you Chris. How many of these junk cues have you placed in your locally funded Cue Orphanage so far? <hr></blockquote>

Hi Joey,

None to date but Kelly's been only playing 20 yrs so, I thought I'd give it a shot. LMAO

Best regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Awe Voodoo,

You standing by me means more to me, than all the South West cues in the world. Your a good friend and being brothers seperated at birth means nothing.

Your brother,

Chris~~tears in my eyes....

Chris Cass
07-10-2002, 10:56 PM
Hi Jim,

Went from LePro, to Triangle as of 2 yrs ago.

C.C.~~floating in Jim's pool on top of the water. OOO

07-10-2002, 11:39 PM

Regards, Mr. Kelly <hr></blockquote>

dear mr. kelley,

you are absolutely correct, sir, the aforementioned mr. cass is, indeed, full of bull. a scoundrel of the lowest degree. fortunately, you have friends to protect you from the likes of him. the first step we must take is to protect the cues.

immediately!!!!!!!!!!!

e-mail for the location of a secure and bonded storage p.o.box to which you must immediately send those southwest cues. it's almost too late! hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dan...honest dan to my friends.

07-10-2002, 11:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> but I would sell that R. Black and spend the money on another Southwest!!

Voodoo <hr></blockquote>

for investment purposes, i understand black appreciates more than anything else.

dan

Voodoo Daddy
07-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Maybe Dan but they dont play as good and thats what makes it for me...

Voodoo...respects one's opinion

Chris Cass
07-11-2002, 02:26 AM
He's not gonna like that Dan. Appreciate your candor. LOL

C.C.~~scoudrel at large with a warehouse full of protected cues. Wish he had one of those cheap Szamboti' needing protection. do they make a cheap Szamboti?

Kato
07-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Jeez Chris, they are junk. They must be worth at least $200 a piece. Right? I mean, I don't really want a SouthWest, Buss, or Black but heck, why should you be burdened with keeping one of them if you don't want it. I'll save you.

Kato~~~Voodoo, got any more room in that gun safe at Pop's?

Chris Cass
07-11-2002, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ted harris:</font><hr> I could be mistaken but...They used to use micarta, and then switched to melamine a few years ago when they ran out of micarta. The melamine is very white, and will not yellow. Not that I have seen anyway. <hr></blockquote>

Ted,

Please excuse me. I was wrong and you and Joey were exactly right. After talking with Mike today, I found out that they did in fact use the Micarta first. Also, that the ferrules came yellow. After receiving several complaints about the yellow ferrules from customers, they called their supplier. The problem S.W. had was the degree of yellow. Some were more yellow than others due to the baking temperature of the material.

So, they switched over to Melamine. Now, some customers complain they want the yellow ferrules back. hahahahah Mike said, sometimes ya just can't win. hahahahahah I know how he feels. hahahaha

Thanks again to you and Joey setting the record right.

Regards,

C.C.~~see that's why, I don't talk about making cues. it's way to much for me to play with them let alone know, how to make them. LOL learned way too much about the under the tip thingy.

TonyM
07-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Currently, Linen Melamine is the specified material for Southwest ferrules, unless you want something else (like Ivory).

Tony