PDA

View Full Version : Congress and priorities????

pooltchr
06-27-2006, 11:36 AM
While the top three concerns of the American people are immigration, the economy, and Iraq, what is Congress working on? Trying to decide if we need a constitutional amendment to ban flag burning! Personally, I think this is already covered under freedom of speech and expression, but I suppose with all the pressing issues facing congress, that flag burning must be causing a lot if concern. I haven't seen anyone burning the flag on the news in years.....but I'm sure they know much better than I what issues are important enough to rate the consideration of congress, and particularly important enough to consider changing the constitution of the United States to address it!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Steve

Deeman3
06-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Steve,

I don't beleive in an amendment to stop flag burning anyway. I'd rather see who is willing to burn our flag as opposed to outlawing it. You are right, we do have plenty of other things more pressing than this amendment as well.

This is just one of many distractions the congress is throwing up to hide the fact they won't deal with illegal immigration and the other "hot" issues. Both the congress and the White House are playing this banjo.

Deeman

eg8r
06-28-2006, 03:26 AM
While I think the ban is a bit crazy, you might be a bit tough on Congress. Every day at work, I have things that are high up on the priority list that are worked, while at the same time, I am completing the much less important stuff. It is multi-tasking and there is no way I could let it all sit by while concentrating on only one (or three) things at a time. I don't think a ban on flag burning is worth their time, however I don't agree with the idea that Congress should only be focusing on the 3 items you have mentioned. There are many many pressing things happening that need to be worked.

I vote they drop working on the flag burning ban and start up the dismissal of the IRS and implement the Fair Tax. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Fran Crimi
06-28-2006, 04:31 AM
...And I vote that they should charge the New York Times with treason.

Fran

pooltchr
06-28-2006, 04:46 AM
Ed,
I understand your point. My problem with this particular issue is that it has been voted on before, never passes, and is purely a political move to force others to go on the record so they can use it in the next elections. No one believes for a second that an amendment like this would ever get through all the states, even if congress did pass it. The issue does not belong in the constitution, and the whole vote is pure politics. As you point out, there are many other pressing issues that deserve attention. This ain't one of 'em!
Steve

DickLeonard
06-28-2006, 06:02 AM
Pooltchr now your typing like a ACLU member. Now we have to pass a law that the President will obey.####

DickLeonard
06-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Fran the only people alerted by that article are in 4th grade. Money laundering was refined by the Mafia taken to new heights by Osams. Now they are in Afghanistan growing poppy to supply their money.

Did the Government ever trace where the suicide bombers received their money?####

pooltchr
06-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Although not a big fan of the ACLU, I do believe that 1) Burning the flag, although repulsive in my eyes, is a form of expression that should be available. I also think those who think like me should have the right to tell flag burners exactly what they think of them!!! 2) Amendments to the constitution should not be taken lightly. That is one document I prefer the idiots in Washington leave alone.
Politicians who would use an issue like this for purely political purposes are pond scum!
Steve

Fran Crimi
06-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Dick, everybody knows the terrorists are getting money from somewhere. I think that's a no-brainer, and yes, only a 4th grader might not know that. But to clue them in on how we're going about looking for it is valuable information to them. Just like when it came out that our gov't was checking cell phone records...Suddenly there was a spike in throw-away cell phone purchases by middle eastern men.

Which suicide bombers are you referring to?

Fran

Gayle in MD
06-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Fat chance! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif He's busy distracting everyone by harping on The New York Times, for writing about a program that he himself has been bragging about for years! Notice, they never mention The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, or The L.A. Times, just the New York Times! Gee, they really let the cat out of the bag, didn't they, I'm sure the terrorists had no idea in the world that we would be spying on money transfers, or tapping their phone conversations.

He doesn't have any oversight from the Republican Congress or the Senate, so now, if he can just intimidate the Newspapers, and the whistleblowers, or better yet, charge them with all with treason, he can have a full run at continuing to build a dictatorship in this country, while our people are dying for Iraqi Democracy!

If we didn't have a free press in this country, our guys would still have no armour on their humvees. It's a fact, there are more of them surviving the road side bombings, because the press brought to the public's attention that Bush and the Republican Majority sent them over there with faulty, unsafe equipment.

In spite of the cable news shows, re-running all the times that Bush stood up there telling the whole world about how he was tracking the terrorist's money, and did so years ago, Republicans are going to use this non story as a means to distract people from the pressing issues we face.

Oh, the liberal press, they're treasonist for writing about something we all knew about for years! Gee, I'm sure the terrorists had no idea that we would be doing something so unique, and surprising as spying on their money and phone calls!

Bush is bent out of shape because he doesn't want it coming to light that terrorists got on to this stuff years ago, and went around it by using human gofers, but Bush is still spying on Americans everyway he can, phones, e-mails, bank transactions, to hell with the Constitution! Remember, he said, its just a piece of paper! Then when we passed the 2500 dead in Iraq, the White House said, it's just a number!
If there is going to be any leaking of classified information, only the dirty dozen in the White House is allowed to do so! And, they had such good reasons for outing Valarie, didn't want Joe Wilson exposing their lies.

Guess they have worn out the non issues about gay marriage, flag burning, estate tax breaks for the top 2/10 of the top two percent in this country. Now they can muddy up the waters if they focuss on intimidating the free press, it's the only thing left that stands in the way of their dictatorship!

Gayle in Md. Greatful for the New York Times, leakers, and any other exposure of the anti-American Bush Administration!

Gayle in Md.

Fran Crimi
06-28-2006, 06:47 AM
I actually heard a liberal analyst on TV debating in favor of allowing flag-burning claim that that the flag is just a 'thing.' It doesn't really stand for anything. So if it doesn't mean anything, then why go through the trouble to burn it? It's not like they're doing it to get rid of old refuse. Yet, they claim it's not symbolic. This is the kind of logic these people use.

Fran

pooltchr
06-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Fran,
It does seem like many liberals have a hard time taking a stand on anything and sticking with it. They take one stand if it supports what they are talking about at the time, but the opposite stand if it helps a different cause.
I guess flip-flop is the name of their game.
Steve

DickLeonard
06-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Fran I have Napolean's quote somewhere about what fools are men who die for a piece of Silk. It is in the article what fools are the people in Kansas. Who vote overwhelming for George Bush while he makes it impossible for their kids to go to College. Debra was going to get the Book but I haven't heard from her since.####

Drop1
06-28-2006, 08:37 PM
The highest priority of every memeber of Congress,is to remain a member of Congress. Why would they be different from the rest of us?

onepocketfanatic
06-28-2006, 08:42 PM
TAP TAP TAP DROP1! You took the words right out of my mouth. Congress is a bunch of self serving...make me richer.....I need to get elected....screw the average working stiff kinda men and women. I wouldn't P*SS down many of their throats if their guts were on fire (there are a few I respect...but very few).

Drop1
06-28-2006, 09:14 PM
That man is a fool. It is exactly because the Flag is the symbol of America,that it has the power to tear a Country apart. If the Flag meant nothing,there would be no point in burning it. The object of the Constitution is to form a more perfect government,and the right to burn the Flag is part of that Constitution. I don't like it,but there is no greater symbol of our freedom,or respect for our flag,than when it is burned in some foreign Country,by people without freedom.

Gayle in MD
06-29-2006, 04:19 AM
I don't know how anyone could burn our flag, however, if we just started making them in a non flammable material, the whole thing would be a moot point! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Funny, how Democrats are painted as flip flop, just because we don't all walk in goose step, like the slogan chanting kool aid kids, LMAO....I think that a party in power which encompasses a range of opinions and philosophies would be a refreshing improvment to the wild eyed chanting of the right!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DickLeonard
06-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Drop1 the constitution has been subverted to mean we the Corporations in order to preserve our wealth will circumvent any law,bribe any congressman. We the people have no chance in regaining control of the government until all elections are funded strictly by the government. No funneling money under the table ala Tom Delay.

Try getting that law passed and you will see how deep the government is controlled by the powerful/rich robber barons.

How can a President give a giant tax break and then go to war? That makes absolutely no sense at all unless you are trying to destroy the United States Fiscal Integrity.

Well at least Eg8r got his tax break.####

Drop1
06-29-2006, 11:07 AM
We would have Mexican elections. You cannot pass a huge tax cut,and go to war,unless your IQ is 10,and your money already is worthless. Why have China,and Japan cut back on buying U.S.dollar backed monetary instruments? Could they know something we don't? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif