PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Buying Advice

Sid_Vicious
06-28-2006, 08:17 AM
I am considering getting a used motorcycle, actually a sports bike(C-Rocket), and find that the retail vs used costs are vastly different. Does anyone have negatives or positives to say about the retail vs used systems, OTHER than the advice to NOT get one of these speed monsters?

A guy I met on the road told me to check the oil drain plug and the hose clamps for tether wires, which indicate the bike had been on an official track and raced. Other than that, I'm basically short of experience on buying used motorcycles, yet the thousands you can save HAS to be a consideration. We can take this to PM if anyone wants. Tia...sid

Deeman3
06-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Buying a used bike is fine if you check it out.

Check the fork assembly for slack, look at the frame as well as you can to see if it has been wrecked, bent, check the clutch and brake lines to make sure they are o.k. and look up under the bike to see for leaks, make sure there is good rebound in the suspension and look under the seat to make sure wiring is normal and not a ton of added wires, check for smooth shifting of the transmission, look for rusted or loose exhaust pipes, check to see the runout on the wheels is true, start and run for a few minutes to make sure it does not overheat, check chins and sprockets for wear or distortion, make sure all major lighting and switches work.

If it looks and runs good, buy it if the price is right.

Deeman

ryushen21
06-28-2006, 05:37 PM
So are you finally going after that GSX-R 1000 I was showing you? The only thing that you have to be careful about is that a lot of used sport bikes have been dropped.

If you have an idea of what bike you are looking at let me know and i will talk to a friend of mine. He has some connections and may be able to help you out some.

Sid_Vicious
06-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Like's too short to go through it slow ;-) The GSX looks and gets great user reviews,,,what'd you say was retail on this thing? I like the blue on white! sid

ryushen21
06-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Yep, that's the one that i'm buying at the end of the year, provided that i get a job. Retail on the website is right around $11k. Most of the dealers do some in house mods, i.e. exhaust, suspension, transmission, but they still don't raise the price too much. Last time i went pricing all the ones that i saw were between 10 and 11.

Sid_Vicious
06-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks. Off the subject but I believe we have a strong 5th player to hook up with us the if Spidey dedicates. Two weeks will tell a lot...sid

Sid_Vicious
06-29-2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks Dee. I was planning on buying into a 1-4 year old bike if going used, and had only considered that the engine, not the frame was suspect, but it is good advice to think about everything. sid

heater451
06-30-2006, 06:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> . . .Check the fork assembly for slack. . . .<hr /></blockquote>A little bit of slack, like a subtle clicking on starts and stops may just be loose, triple-tree bearings, which are easily snugged. However, when checking around the forks/tree, take a good look at the steering stops.

If the front of the bike has whacked anything fairly hard, with it's nose, then you're going to see damage on the stops, especially if you're looking at an aluminum framed bike. A little bit of shinyness probably isn't bad, if there's a lot of mileage on the bike, but if there's been a good impact, the stops will be "relieved" somewhat. A really hard impact can shear them off completely.

I would also second the suggestion to check for safety wiring on the clamps and bolts---any that would have to retain a liquid.

Looking very closely at the bodywork for paint/clearcoat mismatch or overspray wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Oh, and if the tire is worn out in the middle, and hardly on the sides, you're probably dealing with a squid as an owner, and I don't mean a Navy guy. . . .The upside is that he may be afraid of the bike, and hasn't dumped it going fast, the downside is that it's much more likely to have been dropped in a parking lot.

Still, considering all that, I've seen them absolutely TOTAL Ducatis, in videos from the Fastbikes magazine, and re-build them to run them at ludicrous speeds again.

Good luck, and remember: Rubber-side down, shiny side up!

=================

Sid_Vicious
07-01-2006, 07:13 AM
I am mainly targeting low mileage bikes, repos maybe, but basically 10K or less on the speedo. I wondered about wheelie riders and the lubricant to the engine while running standing up a lot, and if there's much of a possibility that over revving or tranny strain is ever a issue. The front end damage is certainly something I'll catelog and check. I may be returning to the idea of buying a new bike unless I find one I have some history to rely upon. Thx...sid

scottycoyote
07-01-2006, 09:45 AM
both of my bikes i bought used and ive had no problems. Yes look for things like drilled or safety wired bolts, which would indicate a track day. Look at the steering stops and see if they are smooth, look over the bike for scratches or gouges.......a scratch on the swingarm might meant the bike was down but fixed. Most of all look at the owner and talk to him. If you talk to someone enough they will usually let you know how they ride and how the bike was treated. I dont know youre riding experience, but if you are new to bikes i cant stress enough how important it is to get some instruction, 600's are crazy fast now, and liter bikes really just arent made for a newbie.

Sid_Vicious
07-01-2006, 10:03 AM
My experience is from 1980 till now, ride a LOT, and on road bikes, Suzuki 1000 first and now a Goldwing since 1995. I've read the same advice on the 600 first but I've always found that to buy into a 1000cc or bigger is what I eventually end up doing, so I'll most likely stick with the GSX 1000 as a choice....sid