PDA

View Full Version : Coulter caught in Plagerism

Gayle in MD
07-03-2006, 06:20 AM
July 2, 2006 -- Conservative scribe Ann Coulter cribbed liberally in her latest book, "Godless," according to a plagiarism expert.
John Barrie, the creator of a leading plagiarism-recognition system, claimed he found at least three instances of what he calls "textbook plagiarism" in the leggy blond pundit's "Godless: the Church of Liberalism" after he ran the book's text through the company's digital iThenticate program.

He also says he discovered verbatim lifts in Coulter's weekly column, which is syndicated to more than 100 newspapers, including the Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Sun-Sentinel and Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle.

Barrie, CEO of iParadigms, told The Post that one 25-word passage from the "Godless" chapter titled "The Holiest Sacrament: Abortion" appears to have been lifted nearly word for word from Planned Parenthood literature published at least 18 months before Coulter's 281-page book was released.

A separate, 24-word string from the chapter "The Creation Myth" appeared about a year earlier in the San Francisco Chronicle with just one word change - "stacked" was changed to "piled."

Another 33-word passage that appears five pages into "Godless" allegedly comes from a 1999 article in the Portland (Maine) Press Herald.

Meanwhile, many of the 344 citations Coulter includes in "Godless" "are very misleading," said Barrie, who holds a Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkeley, where he specialized in pattern recognition.

"They're used purely to try and give the book a higher level of credibility - as if it's an academic work. But her sloppiness in failing to properly attribute many other passages strips it of nearly all its academic merits," he told The Post.

Barrie says he also ran Coulter's Universal Press columns from the past 12 months through iThenticate and found similar patterns of cribbing.

Her Aug. 3, 2005, column, "Read My Lips: No New Liberals," about U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Souter, includes six passages, ranging from 10 to 48 words each, that appeared 15 years earlier in the same order in an L.A. Times article, headlined "Liberals Leery as New Clues Surface on Souter's Views."

But nowhere in that column does she mention the L.A. Times or the story's writer, David G. Savage.

Her June 29, 2005, column, "Thou Shalt Not Commit Religion," incorporates 10 facts on National Endowment for the Arts-funded work that originally appeared in the same order in a 1991 Heritage Foundation report, "The National Endowment for the Arts: Misusing Taxpayers' Money." But again, the Heritage Foundation isn't credited.

"Just as Coulter plays free and loose with her citations in 'Godless,' she obviously does the same in her columns," Barrie said.

Coulter did not respond to requests for comment.
www.Huffingtonpost.com (http://www.Huffingtonpost.com) from...
New York Post....

Interesting huh? She appeared at a community center where my daughter lives, a few miles away from my home, in Southern Maryland, and there was quite a county-wide stink over it,... it seems, the handful of Republicans who arranged for her appearance, used tax payers money, and a community center owned by the taxpayers in Calvert County! People were outraged over it. Marylanders don't take kindly to anyone who slanders widows of 9/11, and career Marine Veterans, like John Murtha, I'm proud to say.

Gayle in Md.

Fran Crimi
07-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Yup, that "leggy blond" sure is sneeky and nasty, ain't she? Just like that Coulter to quote a Planned Parenthood brochure and try to trick us into thinking those were her words.

And imagine, listing 344 sources! How dare she!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
07-03-2006, 07:17 AM
"Meanwhile, many of the 344 citations Coulter includes in "Godless" "are very misleading," said Barrie, who holds a Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkeley, where he specialized in pattern recognition."

"They're used purely to try and give the book a higher level of credibility - as if it's an academic work. But her sloppiness in failing to properly attribute many other passages strips it of nearly all its academic merits," he told The Post.

9 Ball Girl
07-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Take The Test (http://www.people.virginia.edu/~jac3he/GiveUpQuiz/hitlercoulterquiz.html)

Gayle in MD
07-03-2006, 08:01 AM
WOW...This is incredible, I thought they were all Coulter's comments! Figures! They could each have been written by her, and actually, by several resident CCBers, LMAO!

wolfdancer
07-03-2006, 08:20 AM
I got me 8 right....but, except for the phraseology, each quote could have been written by either "Master Race" proponent. ( Great minds oft think alike )

wolfdancer
07-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Gayle, yer exaggeratin agin.....thar's no more then 7 ,0r maybe 8, quotes that the RWF here would author

JPB
07-03-2006, 09:12 AM
If true these are pretty bad allegations given Coulter's bio. On her website she lists being an 8th Circuit law clerk and editor of the law review at Michigan. Those jobs are all about accurate citations and checking things. With that background you know better, or are supposed to.

Gayle in MD
07-03-2006, 03:30 PM
RWF....What does the F stand for, LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Hmmm, her hatred of Democrats must have overwhelmed her? Or, maybe, she figures her audience does so little reading, they'd never catch on! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
07-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Gayle, it's a family site........some things are left best unsaid

Gayle in MD
07-03-2006, 03:47 PM
LMAO...that's what I thought you meant! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
07-05-2006, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, her hatred of Democrats must have overwhelmed her? Or, maybe, she figures her audience does so little reading, they'd never catch on! <hr /></blockquote> To imply someone like your perceived self would have caught the plagiarism? Give me a break and fall off you pedestal. A software tool found the plagiarised sections, definitely not anyone like yourself.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
07-05-2006, 10:57 AM
You are an idiot, no wonder you are so fond of Bush! I always said you couldn't READ! My post includes the source, JERK! I never implied that I, personally, caught her!

Go break open a box of twinkies, and chill!

pooltchr
07-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Ed,
You might as well put her on "ignore". You have a better chance getting through to a brick wall. And when she gets frustrated, she resorts to calling people names, rather than engage in any form of intelligent discussion. I have given up even responding to her any more.
Steve

wolfdancer
07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Gayle, if you reread his post ( and aren't we always told to do that?) it even makes less sense
From your original post:
[ QUOTE ]
John Barrie, the creator of a leading plagiarism-recognition system, claimed he found at least three instances of what he calls "textbook plagiarism" in the leggy blond pundit's "Godless: the Church of Liberalism" after he ran the book's text through the company's digital iThenticate program. <hr /></blockquote>
And then:
[ QUOTE ]
To imply someone like your perceived self would have caught the plagiarism? Give me a break and fall off you pedestal. A software tool found the plagiarised sections, definitely not anyone like yourself. <hr /></blockquote>
See, it wasn't the expert on plagiarism...it wasn't him, per se, that found the plagiarism, after all, he is an uninformed liberal, like yourself....it was the software program that he developed....that found the copied text.
That kind of reasoning....is the reason that we are supposed to keep rereading his posts, until they make some sense....but who's got the time?.....and why bother?
AND regardless of who, or what, found the plagiarism.....this spokesperson of the right wing .....got caught.

Gayle in MD
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
LOL...he only posts for the purpose of insulting me, Steve also, then they harp about name calling. I would think it's pretty obvious, if you don't bow to their King, you recieve their wrath! what can I say, boys will be boys! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Love,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
07-05-2006, 05:18 PM
I hope to hell you keep your word on that this time! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope to hell you keep your word on that this time! <hr /></blockquote> Why you have never been so honest. Your responses are childish in nature and resort to name calling. Be a big girl and grow up.

eg8r

eg8r
07-06-2006, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are an idiot, no wonder you are so fond of Bush! I always said you couldn't READ! My post includes the source, JERK! I never implied that I, personally, caught her!
<hr /></blockquote> LOL, reverting to childish games when someone actually states what all the others want to say. Your game is up and the only intelligent response you have is to call names. What a stand up person. What was that lie you said a while back about ignoring me. You can't handle yourself and you read every thing I post. I guess when your meds wear off you cannot resist the temptation to reply. The problem is that the reply is no better than some little child pitching a hissy fit.

When you get back on the meds you will see that I never said what you thought. My goodness every person on this board knows you are incapable of such a feat. Just a quick look at this post shows you are unable to grasp the concept of comprehension. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
07-06-2006, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That kind of reasoning....is the reason that we are supposed to keep rereading his posts, until they make some sense....but who's got the time?.....and why bother?
<hr /></blockquote> Someone with this level of common sense probably has plenty of time, you just don't have the common sense to use it wisely. Since the level of comprehension is waning and the left is unwilling to shut their mouths and actually read before responding I will spell it out for you. Gayle makes the assumption that the Right does not read and only those who read will have caught on. In actuality it has nothing to do with reading at all. The man ran the text through a software tool and the tool spit out the results. Welcome to 3rd grade reading comprehension. I am sure you feel just as uncomfortable now as you did back then. New ideas are scary for the left, I understand.

eg8r

DickLeonard
07-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Eg8rI am still waiting for your report on the Bush Criminal Enterprises. That can be found just by Googling any of the Bush's. You can't be bothered because then you wouldn't be able to defend them.

Getting million dollar loans with 6,ooo collateral, getting pieces of business with no out lay of cash just the influence that the name can bring you and most of that influence criminal.

I am still waiting for something written that even resembles anothers thought that they have put on paper.####

Gayle in MD
07-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey Dick, LMAO, He STILL doesn't get it. He should start all his posts with, Excuse'ey, No Comprehende'

Love,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
07-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey Ed, Have a twinkie... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
07-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Dick, I Googled "Bush" for eg8r...and while I knew some of the details re HEC (Harken Energy) ...I didn't realise the depth of the scandal, nor the involvement of Jeb and Neil in other deals, that might have meant prison time for anyone else.
Among other things, "Shrub", GWB, after pocketing over $1mil, from a failing company( Harken owed over $150 mil) including a loan for $180k, which was "forgiven", sold all of his stock, in June 1990. In August, Iraq invaded Kuwait, and HEC shares dropped 25%. Great timing? and he also had not reported the sale as reuired by the SEC.
Didn't Martha go to jail for trading on insider info?
I love this item/quote re Jeb"
"A former federal prosecutor told MJ that, when he looked into Jeb's lucrative business dealings with a now-fugitive Cuban, he considered two possibilities -- Jeb was either crooked or stupid. At the time, he concluded Jeb was merely stupid."
Reading about Jeb's dealings, reads like a mafia scam
"...Jeb's real value to Recarey was not in real estate but in his help in facilitating the largest HMO Medicare fraud in U.S. history."
Neil's deals led to $132 mil in unpaid loans, and contributed to Silverado's collapse, which cost taxpayers $1 bil

Bush says he is proud of his sons. One of them rented himself out to a crooked developer who scammed HUD and helped pry millions out of Medicare to fuel a giant health-care scam. A second may have profited from an insider stock transaction in a gulf oil deal at the very time that U.S. soldiers were dying to make that region safe for oil. And the third son ran a savings and loan into the ground while shoveling millions of its taxpayer-backed dollars into the pockets of two deadbeat partners.

In 1991, President Bush bristled at a flurry of news accounts that questioned the business ethics of three of his sons. "The media ought to be ashamed of itself for what they're doing," Bush complained. "They [the boys] have a right to make a living, and their relationships are appropriate," added a White House spokeswoman in June 1992.
web page (http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/1992/09/bushboys.html)

It's hard to read that article, and then believe that Shrub is now in the White House, Jeb, a governor, and being mentioned as a potential candidate.
It's also hard to believe that anybody would have voted for such a man, knowing this.....
but then I read the posts on here, everything GWB has done is compared with Clinton's dalliance with his aide.....and in the conservative Christians mind, pales in comparision, of evil doing.

It turns out that when the bush family said they pray together....they just misspelled prey.

eg8r
07-08-2006, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eg8rI am still waiting for your report on the Bush Criminal Enterprises. <hr /></blockquote> When did you ask for it? Also, when are you and Gayle going to lead this country and world to peace and proseperity while chilling out in Lincoln's room?

eg8r

eg8r
07-08-2006, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Among other things, "Shrub", GWB, after pocketing over $1mil <hr /></blockquote> Even yourself should understand the nickname is weak if you still find yourself naming the individual, even Gayle knows that.

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to read that article, and then believe that Shrub is now in the White House, Jeb, a governor, and being mentioned as a potential candidate. <hr /></blockquote> Well, if you would spend a little unbiased time reading about everyone else in politics you might be unpleasantly surprised to find the Bush's are probably not the worst family out there and that is probably a good reason why they keep winning. The less evil is prevailing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif That, or the Dems are continually too stupid to find an electable puppet to stand on the stage and run for President. Both are so close, I go with the Dems being too stupid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Your misquoting or twisting of what I have said in this post will only be further evidence.

eg8r

eg8r
07-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I knew the little puppy would be stopping by. You say you ignore my posts, but we see you sniffing Dick's territory waiting for him to reply so you can pounce on it and mark it as your own.

Come on Dick, pet the dog she has been following you quite faithfully. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
If we could only get him to stop posting...then I wouldn't have all these red icons on my screen, when I'm viewing posts.

DickLeonard
07-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Eg8r I raised my girls with this premise "There is no degees of honesty either you are or your not.

And that is long before Gayle became my guiding Lite.####

Qtec
07-09-2006, 07:04 PM
You don't have to google for Ed. He doesn,t want to know. Like most Republican Bush supporters in denial, they know Bush is not all he pretends to be but it hurts to much to admit it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
. . It doesn't matter what you find out about the dirty dealings of the Bush family. Clinton will always be worse and thats what counts to eg8r. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Q...this would totally fry eg8r's brain!! Condi-Iraq no threat- july 2001 (http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/powell-no-wmd.htm)

Sid_Vicious
07-09-2006, 08:29 PM
"Clinton will always be worse and thats what counts to eg8r."

That is purely assinign. The difference between the two is absolutely daylight and dark...sid

DickLeonard
07-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Eg8r I have asked that Question of you in Three different posts. Saying until you Google the Bush' Criminal Enterprises I won't respond to any of your posts. These people are Pond Scum and you defend them.

GWB was 1273 on the list to get in the Texas Air National Guard and he was moved to number one then send to Train on an airplane that was being phased out of military service so that he would never be sent to Viet Nam. I got that info Googling him. You can also google Laura Bush's still open case of her killing her ex boyfriend by running a stop sign, Seems like there is no statue of limitations on homocide. ####

wolfdancer
07-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Dick, I googled "Laura Bush", and it reads like a tragic,preventable accident, caused by her running a stop sign at 50 mph.
One item though, states:
"An abbreviated version of the report concluded neither Douglas or Bush could be blamed for the accident, the Post reported."
Maybe not in Texas, from monied families......
And a couple of comedians added
"Was her boyfriend a liberal?"
"I'm sure it was because the Bush family was trying to send a message to the Columbian drug cartel confirming the goals of the Council of Foreign Relations' report on the Trilateralists regarding which woman George W. was to marry."
( sounds plausible to me )

eg8r
07-10-2006, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eg8r I have asked that Question of you in Three different posts. Saying until you Google the Bush' Criminal Enterprises I won't respond to any of your posts. <hr /></blockquote> Well, then you lied to yourself and every one here. Quit responding until you get an answer to a question I don't remember. However, you did this once before and I answered you and then you acted like a fool in your response. I am guessing your childish behaviour will continue so I don't see any reason to look any further for the question.

This also brings me to ask once again if not for the millionth time, when will you and Gayle announce you are running for office. You see, I have no intention of taking anything you say seriously because you are a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of hypocrite.

eg8r

eg8r
07-10-2006, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That is purely assinign. The difference between the two is absolutely daylight and dark...sid <hr /></blockquote> I am sure you are not the first person to call Q asinine, but don't worry about hurting his feelings, he will bounce back with further proof the next time he opens his mouth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Gayle in MD
07-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Notice how often he uses the word childish on us... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, and we thought GWB was a hypocrit! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif