PDA

View Full Version : Playing again after..........

Ralph S.
07-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Hi everyone. I haven't posted for a while, but have been lurking some. I am wondering if anyone can say with reasonable certainty how ones game will be after a major back operation.

I will be having a said type operation in the next few weeks. The doctor is gonna open me up and put in piece of artificial bone in place of a disc I blew completely out back in December. Falling off loading docks aint much fun /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

They will trim the piece to fit and use titanium rods and screws to hold in place. Then they will fuse the L4 and L5 vertabre together. After about 10 months of healing they will go back in and remove the rods and screws.

I am really hoping this won't affect my game too much aside from the rust I know I will collect from not playing. Have any of you been through anything like this? Hoping to hear your thoughts.

Rich R.
07-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Sorry I can't help Ralph, I have never had back surgery, but it may be in my future. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's good to hear from you and I hope everything goes well.

Keep us posted.

cushioncrawler
07-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Ralph -- good luck with the back -- perhaps u might even play better. But it reminds me of my mate Eric, who had a bad heart attack -- he asked the doc -- "Will i be able to play A-grade billiardz when i get out??" -- (doc) "Sure" -- (Eric) "Thats great, koz i never could."

Sid_Vicious
07-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Don't push it is all I can say. I know a couple of serious back problem people after oprerations, and I'm thinking they pushed it and regressed...sid

nludy
07-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Hello.I just had the same surgery,as of yet I still have not hit any balls.I cant wait to hit a few racks.I wish you well and I'll let you know how my game is.I was a strong b player.

Scott Lee
07-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Good luck Ralph! I hope we can 'spar' a little bit, once I get moved to MI. Speedy recovery, my friend!

Scott

Ralph S.
07-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks Scott, I am looking forward to it. Thanks to all the others for their responses too.

onepocketfanatic
07-08-2006, 10:03 PM
I do actuall know 2 people that had back surgery, and now appear to be as good as new! The main thing as like someone else posted, they both said don't over do it. Both guys told me they started back playing in moderation, and after the back was healed, they now play as much as they like with no problems.
I have never had back surgery, but have had chronic lower back problems for over 20 years, and my back lets me know when it has had enough (usually 4-6 hours).
You might consult your doctor and see what he says. I know after I had an aortic operation, it was 6 months or so before I was back to full speed (on the pool table). Serious operations (and the back is very serious) take time to heal. My doctor told me that it would take 9 months to a year to be 100 percent healed (I don't know about back operations but I am sure it will take a long time for the tissue and muscles to heal completely).
I do know from having lower back problems, once you injure your back, and hurt it again before it has had a chance to heal, the new injury is much worse than the first one so take it easy!
Good luck, and best wishes on your recovery. Hopefully the old back will be as good (or better) than new in time.

Deeman3
07-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Ralph,

I am getting ready to have spinal fusion surgery where they will remove a disk and fuse my spine at the C-5. I expect to not be ab leto play at a very high level any longer but will let you know if I get through before you do. This condition has been impacting my game for many years but has gotten too painful to avoid the surgery even if I do have to give up pool. Besdies there aint any games down here anyway.

Best of luck.

Deeman

PoolFool
07-12-2006, 06:04 AM
I think every person is different but my personal experience is at age 34 (30 years ago)I had 5 ruptured disc's. I had two operations two years apart. I now have 3 disc's fussed together. I was required to walk 2 miles a day for 6 months. After the 6 months, I was back to normal. I can play almost as well today as I could at 20 but the difference is not my back but my eyes. I gave up pool for 25 years for family and job reasons but the back operation didn't do anything but get rid of the pain.

PoolFool