PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question?

Ralph S.
07-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I am hoping someone can clear up a question for me. The other night a situation came up in a ring game where the shooter played a combination pocketing the nineball via combination using the the lowest numbered ball on the table at that time. The 9 pocketed while the cb scratched and lowest numbered ball initially struck came to rest in the kitchen area.

I know that both balls are supposed to spot up, but there was some debate as to which order. Some said the nineball first since it was pocketed and the lower numbered ball wasn't. Others like myself, said they should spot in numerical sequence. What is the correct ruling?

Keep in mind we like to play that an early nine spots as long as the five is still on the table.

Barbara
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
IIRC, if two balls have to be spotted up simultaneously, the lower-numbered ball spots up first along the head string.

And make sure the numbers face up as well.

Barbara

Bob_Jewett
07-05-2006, 07:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> ... Others like myself, said they should spot in numerical sequence. What is the correct ruling? ... <hr /></blockquote>
Numerical order.

Were you playing "shoot again" after a foul?

Snapshot9
07-06-2006, 07:09 AM
You're playing a ring game with 9 ball? Sheesh, I often get down $40-60 playing a 10 ball ring game before I ever
get a shot that isn't a jump shot. That's just playing
$2 on the 5 and $3 on the 10. When we play $3 and $5, it
can run up more.

Ralph S.
07-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Yes we were Bob.

9_Ball_Junky
07-08-2006, 12:19 PM
snapshot, you say that as if you have never played 9-ball in a ring game.........thats what i started with. this is kind of interesting, because you play 10-ball and i introduced 10-ball to my small-town poolhall, and then took like 35 bucks from one of the owners......hehe.

this could be interesting as to what people play and their stakes.........maybe give me some ideas......

off the subject, plus im dead tired, so if it doesnt make any sense, well, sorry.

thanks

J

marek
07-10-2006, 02:31 AM
Hi!
You scare me! I play a competition pool for about 10 years, I have even been on our national team at European pool championships this year but I havent heard of the rule that you have to spot 9ball AND the combo ball (the you played with) after scratch. Where can I find it in WPA rules?

Scott Lee
07-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Marek...Ralph was playing 'ring game' 9-ball, in which there is no ball-in-hand (except behind the headstring), after a foul. In this case the lowest number ball was in the kitchen after the CB scratched, and the 9 went down...meaning that BOTH balls had to be spotted, and in numerical order. The CB is then shot from behind the headstring. You won't find this in a rulebook, as it's only used in gambling games where there are 3 or more players.

Scott Lee

Bumps
07-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Scott,
Where I am in South Carolina, it's not uncommon to see a four or five handed 9 or 10 ball ring game. They DO play bih anywhere after a foul. I've never seen this before, anywhere else and I sure wouldn't want to play in one.

Ralph S.
07-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey Bumps, 5 players in a ring game is very common. When we get a 6th player we then jump to 10 ball.

Bumps
07-10-2006, 06:35 PM
I was referring to the bih, not the number of players, I've played in 5 handed games, myself, but not with bih anywhere.

marek
07-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Now its clear to me. I was really scared that I missed something. You know, ring games are not played very often here in czech republic, if there are more than 2 people at the table they change at the table after each game, not after every inning.