PDA

View Full Version : Bomb tunnel, flood city plot!

Qtec
07-07-2006, 05:41 AM
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Bomb tunnel, flood city
BY ALLISON GENDAR in New York
and JAMES GORDON MEEK in Washington
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Friday, July 7th, 2006

The FBI has uncovered what officials consider a serious plot by jihadists to bomb the Holland Tunnel in hopes of causing a torrent of water to deluge lower Manhattan, the Daily News has learned.
The terrorists sought to drown the Financial District as New Orleans was by Hurricane Katrina, sources said. They also wanted to attack subways and other tunnels.

Counterterrorism officials are alarmed by the "lone wolf" terror plot because they allegedly got a pledge of financial and tactical support from Jordanian associates of top terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi before he was killed in Iraq, a counterterrorism source told The News.

It's not clear, however, if any cash or assistance was delivered.

The News has learned that at the request of U.S. officials, authorities in Beirut arrested one of the alleged conspirators, identified as Amir Andalousli, in recent months. Agents were scrambling yesterday to try to nab other suspects, sources said.

They didn't indicate how many people were the target of the international dragnet but said they were scattered all over the world.

"This is an ongoing operation," one source said.

U.S. agents were allowed to take part in the interrogation of Andalousli, a source said.

FBI and New York City Police Department officials would not comment yesterday about the investigation, which has been kept under wraps for months.

The plotters wanted to detonate a massive amount of explosives inside the Holland Tunnel to blast a hole that would destroy the tunnel, everyone in it, and send a devastating flood shooting through the streets of lower Manhattan.

It is assumed by officials the thugs would try to use vehicles packed with explosives.

Sources said that New York City officials believed the plan could conceivably work with enough explosives placed in the middle of the tunnel, which runs underneath the river bed, a source said.

But others doubted the plot was feasible.

"You are talking major, major explosives and knowledge of blast effect to make this happen," said another senior counterterrorism source.

Besides bedrock, the tunnel is protected by concrete and cast-iron steel.

Experts also said that even if the tunnel cracked, the Financial District would not be flooded because it is above the level of the river.

The FBI discovered the plot by monitoring Internet chat rooms, where the aspiring terrorists discussed striking the U.S. economy, rather than causing mass casualties, a source said.

"They're hell-bent on destroying the economy in the U.S.," a counterterrorism source said.

Al Qaeda founder Bin Laden has often urged his followers to "bleed" America financially.

The Lebanese government had been expected to release a statement about Andalousli's arrest but was asked by the U.S. to hold off while operations to disrupt the plot continued, sources said.

Sources contrasted the chat room jihadists to the seven wanna-be Al Qaeda cell members arrested in a poor area of Miami by the FBI last week, who appeared to have no capability of carrying out plots they hatched to bomb FBI offices in several cities including New York.

"This is more advanced than the Miami Seven," said one of the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The disclosure of the Holland Tunnel plot came at the same time Homeland Security Department officials announced a boost in funds to protect rail and transit lines in the New York City area yesterday.

Last month, DHS cut New York's high-threat grants by almost half. But yesterday, DHS Undersecretary George Foresman said the $47 million rail security grants, which were 25% higher than last year's, were in response to increased risks after the 2004 Madrid and 2005 London rail bombings.

<font color="blue"> Wow! So now making idle threats on chat boards [ that everyone can see] or discussing ways that the US is vulnerable to by terrorist attack can get you jail? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif</font color>

Just for the record, I think GW is a swell guy. I know I don't always see eye to eye with his policies but he means well, God bless him. I would also like to take this opportunity to say that his wife is a doll! She's a diamond, she really is.
Yes I,ve had a go at Rumy and Dick[ just in fun] but thats only because they are so grumpy. If Karl Rove was your boss, you would be grumpy too, so I can't hold that against them.
The botttom line is , the Intel was wrong , what can you do.
Right guys?
Right guys???????????

Q....Independance Day? Whats that all about? The US has a holiday for a SF movie. You guys are Hollywod crazy!
Go figure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
07-07-2006, 06:03 AM
I knew I heard about this plot awhile back. I was right. I think it was announced and then retracted. You in particular challenged me on this.

Fran

Qtec
07-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Fran, just like the Miam7, there was no plot.
Should people be throw in jail for having big mouths? I Bravado now a crime?
These are publicity stunts to convince the US that their Govt is protecting them.
What happened to the Dirty Bomber?

Q....talk about Big Brither!

wolfdancer
07-07-2006, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"They're hell-bent on destroying the economy in the U.S.," a counterterrorism source said. <hr /></blockquote>
I had to reread your post...thought you was talking about our admin.
Open discussions/planning in....chat rooms? I've had my suspicions about MYspace........probably funded by Al Qaeda.
well, I had to go right over to
web page (http://www.rightwingnews.com/)
to find out the truth.
Nothing there yet, but I did manage to find a link for an excerpt of Ann Coulter's book
web page (http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400054206&amp;view=excerpt)
and that saved me $27.95, which I can use to buy 9 gal of gas, maybe.
I now don't believe she is guilty of plagiarism....it takes a special kind of warped mind, to write that kind of trash.
If there is any real truth to the foiled plot story...we should be even more concerned about security at our borders....

Fran Crimi
07-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Well, I'm not sure I'd go so far to call something like this a publicity stunt. But then again....I'm not you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

Chopstick
07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

<font color="blue"> Wow! So now making idle threats on chat boards [ that everyone can see] or discussing ways that the US is vulnerable to by terrorist attack can get you jail? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, Q it can and it has been a law in this country for at least three decades that I know of. Back when I was in the Army, I was chosen, along with nine other guys to be a test subject in a lie detector training exercise. The object of the excercise was for one of us to commit a crime and the trainees, consisting of law enforcement officers from various agencies to use their polygraphs to identify which one of us did it.

I was selected to commit the actual crime(wondering now why they picked me). My crime was to take a piece of paper that had a threat of bodily harm to the Postmaster General and post it in a public place.

So, if and I say "IF" I were to post "I am going to kick Dick Cheney's a$$" in a public chatroom or even print it out and staple it to a telephone pole, it is a crime and if I got caught I would go to jail. This is not a new law.

Sid_Vicious
07-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Chop...Are you saying that seriously unhappy soles who pummel the discussion board with dislikes are subject to trouble from the law, or is your example of kicking a public officials a$$ a definitive example? Thanks...sid

eg8r
07-08-2006, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow! So now making idle threats on chat boards [ that everyone can see] or discussing ways that the US is vulnerable to by terrorist attack can get you jail?

Just for the record, I think GW is a swell guy. I know I don't always see eye to eye with his policies but he means well, God bless him. <hr /></blockquote> With only your posts on this board to go by, for the record, most of us think you are a ... well never mind you know it already. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
07-08-2006, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had my suspicions about MYspace........probably funded by Al Qaeda.
<hr /></blockquote> I believe Myspace is owned by the people who own Fox. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Let the jokes begin. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Chopstick
07-11-2006, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Chop...Are you saying that seriously unhappy soles who pummel the discussion board with dislikes are subject to trouble from the law, or is your example of kicking a public officials a$$ a definitive example? Thanks...sid <hr /></blockquote>

It is a definitive example. It is a direct threat to a public official. It also carries over to government agencies. If I were to say "I am going to blow up the Post Office." That is a crime. If I say I am going to blow up Walmart. That is not, but it might get your a$$ kicked if you say it in Alabama. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman3
07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Chop...Are you saying that seriously unhappy soles who pummel the discussion board with dislikes are subject to trouble from the law, or is your example of kicking a public officials a$$ a definitive example? Thanks...sid <hr /></blockquote>

It is a definitive example. It is a direct threat to a public official. It also carries over to government agencies. If I were to say "I am going to blow up the Post Office." That is a crime. If I say I am going to blow up Walmart. That is not, but it might get your a$$ kicked if you say it in Alabama. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Only if you say it in flyover urban Alabama. We're so far out, there's not even a Walmart! </font color>

Deeman
still using the funds no longer wasted for secutity in NYC.

wolfdancer
07-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Gee, I thought every right wing citadel, merited a WalMart.....