PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Slate

07-11-2002, 08:08 AM
I'll be buying a commercial 9' table at the end of aug. and i'll be traveling about a 6 hour drive back home with it. I was wondering whats the best way to protect the slate? I was told to put 2x4's on the bottom and inbetween the slate.I was thinking of putting 2" styrofoam on the bottom and inbetween the slate. Even if I don't answer each/any reply I receive,any sujestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank's in advance, Terry

PQQLK9
07-11-2002, 08:22 AM
I would think that a Billiard Store could give you a definitive answer...when I relocated from VA to NC the movers (Grabell) had a carpenter come and make 3 crates to hold the slate. It looked like a crate sandwich /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-11-2002, 08:30 AM
Just lay it down Flat stacked on top of each other. No Prob!

griffith_d
07-11-2002, 11:14 AM
I would probably put something in between each piece (underneath and on top of bottom piece) to protect it. A big hole/bump might toss them and a chip out might happen.

Griff

07-11-2002, 12:20 PM
I've had professional movers on my last two moves. Both companies built crates out of 2 x 4 lumber to transport slate. I questioned the last company & they replied that if they didn't do the crates they wouldn't cover the slate in their insurance

07-12-2002, 03:02 AM
Hi Terry,
If using a half ton pick up truck, stack the 3 of them flat with
moving blankets inbetween and on top of the third slate. Push them as close to cab as possible. Having extra moving blankets to wrap the rails & aprons is also a good idea. If your truck is a sport side, the assembled frame minus the legs may fit snug right on top of the truck rails. The rest is cake.
Also advise 10 to 15 more pounds of air all the way around on the rebound as driving 6 hours will get that rubber hot and possibly cause failure.
The ride home will super smooth, guaranteed!
Also take enough rope, bungees & tie downs to secure whatever is loose in the load.
Thats what Id do.
but its just me

PS if truck not equipped with driver side air bag,
email me and Ill send my wife right over.lol
good luck

cheesemouse
07-12-2002, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>PS if truck not equipped with driver side air bag,
email me and Ill send my wife right over.lol
good luck<hr></blockquote>

Haaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa

07-12-2002, 09:21 AM
no pun ever intended ms. cheesemouse...it was late/I was tired &amp; i hope to God she does not see what I posted or its sofa city for me.lol
ps right on bout giving something back to the game re playing weaker players. I meant that more times than not, some stronger players won't want to play weaker ones for fear their game will decline. It's sad to see but happens a lot. but thats not me.

07-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Thanks to all who responded. I guess the important thing is to make sure the slates can't move around and have everything else covered in blankets. ( itsjustme ) It was a good point about the tire pressure, I had not thought of that. Thanks, Terry

if truck not equipped with driver side air bag,
email me and Ill send my wife right over. YOU Bad, LOL

07-14-2002, 11:17 AM
No problemo Terry, having the slate away from the tailgate insures that they wont be joining you prematurely in the cab just in case you have to stand on the brakes going 60mph cause you just noticed you passed the roadside rest you were looking for the past 30 minutes. lol
Hope you intend on wrapping that table in Simonis.
Maybe some new centennials? That will definately be a "combo" you wont regret.
Where did you say you lived &amp; when will that table be done?lol
but thats just me.

07-14-2002, 02:11 PM
I have the centennials in my closet as we speak and it'll have the 860 simois cloth. If I have to stand on the breaks I hope i'm only doing 60 clicks, and it'll be my wife's fault.LOL, Terry