PDA

View Full Version : Good Commentary by Mark Wilson

Deeman3
07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I think most of us always complain about the quality of commentary on the TV broadcasts. I saw Mark Wilson on TV doing the commentary on a couple of matches this weeekend and thought he did an excellent job. I don't remember a single "How good did he hit that?" and most of his comments gave insight you don't normally get with the standard announcers. He also was very gratious and never made any self serving comments but rather commented on how well the people on the table were playing, not how well he could play.

I think a lot of this is Mark's ability to deliver a message without preaching. That's what probably makes him such a sought after teacher. It does not hurt as well that everyone respects his game.

Maybe they will invite him to to do other matches (unless they find out some of us pool players like his style...)

Deeman

Rich R.
07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Mark Wilson has been one of the TV commentators for the BCA tournament for the last few years.

I believe he is a class act and I only wish the powers that be would bring him in for the TV rounds of other tournaments, especially the IPT.

cycopath
07-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Bring anybody into the booth at the IPT. Kevin and the other guy (as he's officially known) were just regurgitating Sigel's commentary as they watched the finals against Efren (or Efraim as Mike calls him).

I was getting sick of hearing, "That's not automatic." and "That doesn't have to go.".

I have to give props to Accu-Stats for excellent commentating. Incardona does an excellent job, as well as Mathews.

My only complaint with Wilson is his voice. I personally don't like the sound of his voice. A bit too nasally.

After listening to the IPT, I'll take the likes of Steve Urkel from Family Matters any day over those guys.

bsmutz
07-11-2006, 09:52 AM
I guess it's true that everyone is different. I do not like Billy Incardona's announcing style. To me, he is prone to arguing with his co-announcer over something that hasn't happened yet and ends up apologizing for his bad call. It reminds me of an old couple arguing over nothing sometimes. I definitely like Mark's commentary on all the matches I've heard him call.

Stretch
07-11-2006, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I guess it's true that everyone is different. I do not like Billy Incardona's announcing style. To me, he is prone to arguing with his co-announcer over something that hasn't happened yet and ends up apologizing for his bad call. It reminds me of an old couple arguing over nothing sometimes. I definitely like Mark's commentary on all the matches I've heard him call. <hr /></blockquote>

Well i think Mitch Lawrence is awsome! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.

catscradle
07-11-2006, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I guess it's true that everyone is different. I do not like Billy Incardona's announcing style. To me, he is prone to arguing with his co-announcer over something that hasn't happened yet and ends up apologizing for his bad call. It reminds me of an old couple arguing over nothing sometimes. I definitely like Mark's commentary on all the matches I've heard him call. <hr /></blockquote>
Bill does argue a bit, but generally he's right.

I actually think he and Mark do a good job together.

dave
07-13-2006, 08:42 AM
I agree that Mark's commentary is excellent. He always provides information that you can learn from regardless of your skill level. I would rather have commentary that teaches me something about how the game is played at higher levels than merely a colorful personality repeating inane, sophomoric, pool vernacular. I gain nothing from listening to Mitch Laurence, Sigel, and Hopkins (though I think Dawn Hopkins and Ewa do a pretty fair job on the women's side).I also agree that Incardona does a fine job. It's when they are genuinely knowledgeable and openly share meaningful strategic or technical information that the programing becomes valuable and worthwhile viewing; something AccuStats excels at despite poorer production values due to budget restrictions.

Deeman3
07-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I agree with all you say. I find it funny that Allen still calls Efren, "Efrem" after all these years. I asked him one time and he said, "Efrem don't care." He's probably right as Efren is not a perfect linguist himself. However, I'd like to see Efren call Allen Hopkims a couple of times...

Deeman

dave
07-14-2006, 09:35 AM
I've thought the same thing. It makes him look lazy, insensitive and ignorant. I'm sure that is not true, but that is the impression it leaves.

suckershot
07-14-2006, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I think most of us always complain about the quality of commentary on the TV broadcasts. I saw Mark Wilson on TV doing the commentary on a couple of matches this weeekend and thought he did an excellent job. I don't remember a single "How good did he hit that?" and most of his comments gave insight you don't normally get with the standard announcers. He also was very gratious and never made any self serving comments but rather commented on how well the people on the table were playing, not how well he could play.

I think a lot of this is Mark's ability to deliver a message without preaching. That's what probably makes him such a sought after teacher. It does not hurt as well that everyone respects his game.

Maybe they will invite him to to do other matches (unless they find out some of us pool players like his style...)

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

We can only hope that Mark will be able to get more gigs commentating on matches. Mark is very thorough, thoughtful, and insightful without being pretentious or self-aggrandizing. Basically, I'm echoing what all of you have said. But yes, Mark is great to have commentating and I wish that we will hear more from him in the future.

JDB
07-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Mark Wilson is my favorite commentator. I hope to take lessons from him someday. He is extremely insightful. Him and Billy Incardona make a great commentary team.