PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a pilot?

heater451
07-11-2002, 02:07 PM
. . .or, have a talent for over-organization?

What I'm curious about, is whether anyone literally goes through a complete checklist, like a pilot does prior to take-off.

I am highly ingrained into the "feel" type of shooting, and mostly study aiming systems out of curiosity (plus, I neve know when I'll find something that works for me). I do have a few 'checks' that I incorporate in my (minimal) pre-shot routine, but still rely mostly on habit.

What kind of things are in your pre-shot checklist? Do you start at the beginning of your stance, or only after you're down for the shot? Do you break your routine into smaller routines?

You programmers out there probably have some serious breakdowns. . . .

============

Scott Lee
07-11-2002, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: heater451:</font><hr> What I'm curious about, is whether anyone literally goes through a complete checklist, like a pilot does prior to take-off.

What kind of things are in your pre-shot checklist? Do you start at the beginning of your stance, or only after you're down for the shot? Do you break your routine into smaller routines?
============ <hr></blockquote>

Heater...Regardless of whether we are amateur or pro, any forced errors that happen, occur on the last swing of the cuestick. As a teacher, I try to break that swing down to the ridiculous. After a pause at the CB, it is one continuous movement, starting slowly back, hesitating just enough to change direction, and forward smoothly to completion. The perfect stroke. So, to prepare properly to MAKE that perfect stroke requires some information, which then allows you to DECIDE whether THIS stroke is the perfect one, or you need some more warmups to get ready.
To make this decision (Is this the ONE stroke?), you must answer four questions. They are, in order of importance...
1)do I know where I am aiming on the CB (basically on the vertical axis); 2)do I know where I am aiming on the OB (so that it will go in the hole); 3)do I know how hard I'm going to hit the shot (basically soft/lag, medium, or hard/break); and 4)do I have a REASONABLE idea of where the CB is going to end up afterwards. To ask these questions and get the right answers requires a minimum of 2 seconds from the human brain. If you don't pause for 2 full seconds, your brain doesn't have enough time to decide if you're really ready to go. Being in a hurry in pool usually means being in a hurry to miss. This 4 question checklist, which happens in the blink of an eye, when you're down on the shot, paused at the CB, can often make the difference between success and missing.

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
07-11-2002, 04:23 PM
In my wallet, I keep this list of pre-shot routine check list.

Trust what I am doing
Accept the results
Pre-shot routine always use it

the 3 lines
OB to pocket
CB to OB
Stance to CB

results
Where the OB is going,
What the CB will do after the hit
Where do I want the CB to end up.

get down
I mean get down and get ready to shot.. practice strokes.. looking from the cue tip to CB to OB and back again.. over and over (minimum 3 times)
Pause and then execute.

If I am not thinking about any of the above, or I am distracted by anything while being DOWN On the SHOT

GET UP

And do it all over again.. Discipline.. Yery important.

Vapros
07-11-2002, 09:54 PM
I think we each have several factors that determine whether or not a shot is successful, and on any particular day our performance is directly tied to how many of them we are handling correctly. Along the same line, the best players are those who execute them best and with most consistency.

Personally, I struggle with them on every shot, and each stroke is a new adventure. Playing even a decent game takes a lot of effort on my part. That's not so good - the motion needs to be repeatable nearly on every shot. I often doubt I will ever get there.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-12-2002, 08:09 AM
I'm not a pilot but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif. (Apologies to Joey for borrowing his line).
Tom and Scott nailed it pretty well I think.
One thing I do now that I didn't used to do-I chalk before EVERY SHOT.
Doing that signals my brain to begin executing my pre-shot routine. After hearing Tom preach "Pre-shot Routine" so much I finally understand its importance. It works...Really /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-12-2002, 08:23 AM
Tom,

Can I borrow these? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Wendy~~Great minds think alike

Eric.
07-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Heater,

Pre shot routine? Absolutely. The same routine, every shot. I think Tom and Scott summed it up the best.

Eric