PDA

View Full Version : APA question. Number of teams allowed to qualify.

cycopath
07-11-2006, 08:18 AM
This question is posed to those who know.

This is to settle an argument. This is all in reference to the NTC Open 8 Ball teams.

A local player continues to think that our LO is allowed four teams out of our area, when I'm sure it's only two (as it's always been). There have never been over 60 teams in this area, mostly stays in the 45+ range.

This local player thinks the LO is pocketing the extra money that the other two teams would use to go to Vegas.

I'm sure there's a magic number of teams allowed to qualify, based on the number of active teams enrolled, I just don't know what it is.

Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks.

Rich R.
07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I think it would be best to contact the APA directly and ask them.
http://www.poolplayers.com/contact.html

cycopath
07-11-2006, 09:20 AM
I always had the impression that the APA is as secretive as the Knights Templar. So I'm going to assume they won't tell me.

I know there's a couple of LO's and former LO's that post here, I was hoping they'd give me some input.

bsmutz
07-11-2006, 09:35 AM
PM Scott Lee if he doesn't reply to this soon. He should know.

Rich R.
07-11-2006, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> I always had the impression that the APA is as secretive as the Knights Templar. So I'm going to assume they won't tell me. <hr /></blockquote>
I know they are very secretive about their handicapping system and they won't release any information about that. However, I see no reason why they couldn't tell you how they determine the number of teams allowed to go to the nationals from an area.
Anyway, I doesn't hurt to ask, even if they say they won't tell you.

Scott Lee
07-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Brian...The correct answer is 1 per 20 registered, active teams, is eligible to go to Vegas. So, for 45 teams, two go to nationals.

Scott

cycopath
07-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks Scott.

TCIndepMo
07-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Scott is very close. Vegas slots are based on active team count from the preceeding spring session. A LO with 36 to 75 teams would normally be allowed TWO slots. But keep in mind LOs with various administative problems (paperwork issues) can be penalized slots. It's rare, but can happen. Basically the more Spring teams a LO has - the more slots he gets on the Vegas tournament wall.

If you're going - good luck!

BTW, the reason the APA keeps some stuff a secret is to make life more difficult for the cheaters. None of us have a problem with that, right?

cycopath
07-14-2006, 07:50 AM
I definitely don't have a problem with the APA's decision to keep some things secret. I understand why they have to do it.

Secrets are a good thing sometimes (don't look under my bed). /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the info, TCIndepMo.

Scott Lee
07-14-2006, 10:55 AM
TCIndepMO...Actually, I am EXACTLY correct...at least according to the APA League Operator Manual. It state's ONE team per every 20 active teams (during the prior session), are eligible to advance to the national tournament.

Scott Lee

TCIndepMo
07-15-2006, 12:10 PM
CLOSE again for Scott.
The APA OFFICAL TEAM MANUAL, page 81-82, para 1a explains an area with "20 or more ...active teams, then your area qualifies and may advance at least one team". To interrupt those words to mean one ADDITIONAL team goes to Vegas for every ADDITIONAL 20 active teams would be incorrect. The 20 team number is the MINIMUM needed to send at least ONE, not a bench mark number that carries over to the entire team count. The "20 team" number is not meant to be an overall ratio for the entire team count, regardless of area size. It doesn't work that way.
I understood Cycopath's original post to be about number of local teams going to Vegas - and that is the point I was responding to. If his area had 36-75 active Spring teams then they get to send TWO teams to Vegas. Honest!

Good luck to all that qualified to go. See you there.

Scott Lee
07-16-2006, 08:59 AM
TCIndepMO...I don't know if you're an L.O. or just a team captain, but I was a league operator, for a few years out in MT &amp; ID. We had 60 teams, and were allowed to send three teams to Vegas. We were told that if we got to 80 teams, we could send 4, and at 100, we could send 5! I'm familiar with several large L.O.'s (300-400 teams), who regularly send 12-15 teams to Vegas.

Now, admittedly, this was 15 yrs ago, and some things may have changed. Another possibility is that there is slightly different information in the team captains manual, than in the league operators manual. At any rate, it appears that cycopath's league operator is on the square!
Good luck with your team(s) in Vegas!

Scott Lee ~ APA "Rookie League Operator of the Year"

TCIndepMo
07-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Well, that explains everything. You were an LO 15 years ago and I am an APA LO now (have been since 1980). Your APA LO manual is 15 years old, mine is current.

Guess which one of us has current knowledge of how Vegas slots are allocated by the APA?

Cycopath - are you satisfied?

TCIndepMO...I don't know if you're an L.O. or just a team captain, but I was a league operator, for a few years out in MT &amp; ID. We had 60 teams, and were allowed to send three teams to Vegas. We were told that if we got to 80 teams, we could send 4, and at 100, we could send 5! I'm familiar with several large L.O.'s (300-400 teams), who regularly send 12-15 teams to Vegas.

Now, admittedly, this was 15 yrs ago, and some things may have changed. Another possibility is that there is slightly different information in the team captains manual, than in the league operators manual. At any rate, it appears that cycopath's league operator is on the square!
Good luck with your team(s) in Vegas!

Scott Lee ~ APA "Rookie League Operator of the Year"

cycopath
07-17-2006, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TCIndepMo:</font><hr>Cycopath - are you satisfied?<hr /></blockquote>

More than satisfied. I appreciate Scott's comments as well as yours, TCIndepMo.

I was sure our LO was not screwing us out of Vegas slots. I just wanted some information to use against the dumbass that thinks we are being screwed.

I don't want you guys to get in a fight over little ol' me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

UWPoolGod
07-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Been a while since I've came here, but I'll throw in my few cents worth.

Not sure how many divisions/teams we have in our areas but we are having 7 teams sent to Vegas this year. Last year it was 8 teams. My team went last year and is going again this year. Our League area owners have Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR and there are any number of 8ball/double jeopardy league going almost every night of the week all around town. So with that many teams I guess they can warrant sending 7 to Nationals.