PDA

View Full Version : Opening a pool hall

cubdom06
07-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Me and my friend are thinking of opening up our own pool hall. We have some ideas already and are looking into saving around 20 thousand ourselves and then obtaining a loan to start this up. We want a classy but not too classy place at the same time. We want it to be attractive to everyone. We are going to put tv's around the tables so that people can watch games while they play. I need all the ideas I can get and all the advice I can get. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

BLACKHEART
07-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Where do you live? How big is your town & the nearby towns? What about zoneing & other city ordinances? Will you be serving alcohol? How about food? Will you be renting or buying a building? HOW POPULAR IS POOL IN YOUR AREA? Are you going to work the buiness or hire someone to run it, while you work your regular job? Are there any other pool halls in your area & if so how are they doing? How much can you stand to lose? The number one reason businesses fail is that they were UNDER FUNDED. Every one wants to go to the NEW place, to see what it's like, THEN they go back to their regular place. It takes time to build a business trade & you have to have the money to weather these dry spells. ..JER

cubdom06
07-12-2006, 01:28 PM
We live in the gurnee, illinois area. Town and nearby towns are quite big. We were thinking of placing the business in front of the six flag theme park we have here. There are a lot of businesse's around the area. I mean a lot. There is also a huge mall with a lot of restaurants around. That is why we think it would be ideal. We were thinking of making it like a pool hall/lounge. Not too sure on how we would acquire the food yet. We would probably hire someone to run it for us with us overseeing his or her every move while we work our full time jobs. What we were thinking was getting the loan to start up the business and then having our own money saved up to fall back on in case of emergencies. Like 15 to 20 thousand.

Deeman3
07-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Jer,

Good advice. We all want to see more and better pool halls but there are many who went into the business blind and paid a high price. If you have never been in the business before, you might consider working in a pool hall and learning the ropes for a year or so first.

Good luck but beware of the pitfalls.

Deeman

Bumps
07-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Good Luck. A friend of mine opened a place about four or five months ago. His experience with pool in the last 30 years or so had been limited to a couple of years playing in leagues. He's finding out now that there's a lot more to pool than just leagues. I'm afraid he went into the business rather blind and is now paying the price. Those tvs would make me avoid the place and I'm one of those who spent hours on the table. I also ate there because the food was good and reasonably priced. If you can, check out some rooms that have been open and successful for several years, even if you have to travel some distance to do it. From your description of what you want to do, I'd have to ask how long you've been around the game. Have you been playing seriously yourselves? What do you know about tables, cues, cloth, chalk, etc? All the other questions above my post are good ones. The suggestion to work at a pool room is a good one.

Bob_Jewett
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cubdom06:</font><hr> Me and my friend are thinking of opening up our own pool hall. We have some ideas already and are looking into saving around 20 thousand ourselves and then obtaining a loan to start this up. ... <hr /></blockquote>
How many tables? What is the square footage? How much is rent for commercial property in the area you want to be in? Will access be really convenient? Parking? How much will the installed equipment cost? (pool tables, cues, balls, chairs, stools, cocktail tables in the waiting area, kitchen equipment, front counter, wall decorations, sign out front, carpet ...) How many hours a night do you plan to be busy? How busy are the nearest pool halls? What rates will you charge? How busy do you have to be to break even? How are you going to advertize? Is there anyone you would trust to put their hands on the cash register? How are you going to make sure the money from table time goes into the register rather than the employees' pockets? Have you gotten the room owners' manual from the BCA?

And here is the standard question for new small businesses: can you afford to run at a loss for the first six months?

Snapshot9
07-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Do you know how to put together a business plan? I am not talking about a check list. If you don't, then go to the nearest SBA office, and they will educate and help you put one together. They also make loans ... lol I did not know the full extent of a business plan until I was in Graduate School working on a masters. It will be an eye opening experience.

You should also learn how to do a WBS (Work Breakdown Structure). It helps to have a method to the madness.

BLACKHEART
07-12-2006, 06:17 PM
There is a lot of time during the day that you will be paying out more in utilities than you will be bringing in. I remember seeing a chart in a billiard magazine showing that 1/3 of the income is from food. 1/3 is from table time &amp; 1/3 from alcohol. Figure out how much you have to take in,just to break even &amp; it will scare the crap out of you...JER

Bumps
07-18-2006, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>Have you gotten the room owners' manual from the BCA?<hr /></blockquote>

Bob,
How do you get the room owners manual? I couldn't find anything about it on the BCA website.

Bob_Jewett
07-18-2006, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>Have you gotten the room owners' manual from the BCA?<hr /></blockquote>

Bob,
How do you get the room owners manual? I couldn't find anything about it on the BCA website. <hr /></blockquote>
I've never ordered one, but if you look on the BCA site under "Products" you will find "BCA Proprietor's Manual $85.95 115"

It also comes in a "new room owner's kit" or some such which bundles it with some other items useful to new room owners.

pooltchr
07-18-2006, 06:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>Have you gotten the room owners' manual from the BCA?<hr /></blockquote>

Bob,
How do you get the room owners manual? I couldn't find anything about it on the BCA website. <hr /></blockquote>

https://bcastore.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=900b409b35c007f1 db8d376738c1f8df&amp;keywords=manual

I had to dig through 3 or 4 layers on the site before I could find it....but here is a link. They don't make it easy to find.
Steve