PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Greg in VA
07-12-2006, 05:14 PM
I have a Gold Crown III w/ Simonis 860. About a year ago, I had the Simonis replaced with 860 again from the same reputable dealer that originialy installed my table. (they shall remain nameless for now) I was VERY satisfied with the first installation which is why I used them again. I got 5 yrs from the first cloth. (we play ALOT) They charged $880 for the cloth AND brand new superspeed rails and they travel 80 mi one way.
I have discovered tonight that the joint compound seems to have fragmented and come out of BOTH joints!!! Feeles like tiny rocks under the cloth if you slide your palm along the joint. I brush the table one direction, wipe with a damp cloth and once 3 months ago gave it a LIGHT vacuum, being aware of where the joints were. I have done nothing differently than the normal cleaning I have always done in the past.
What has happened? Bad joint compound? Would you expect the installers to be responsible after approx 1 year? I have not called them yet, as I want to see what everybody thinks........... Opinions please. Thanks in advance for your time.

cueball1950
07-12-2006, 07:22 PM
i feel that if they are reputable dealers they just might come back and correct the problem. If they don't i would recommend getting another dealer and having him use bee's wax instead of the joint compound that they did use. Or ask the original guys if they would come back and use bee's wax and then pay them for this service. Bee's wax always give a better seal in my opinion. Just some food for thought.....mike

DickLeonard
07-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Greg in Va just take putty knife and a hammer and lay the putty knife flat on the seams and gently tap the putty knife crushing the joint compound. Your slate probably shifted slightly.####

Greg in VA
07-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks Dick, if I don't get them to fix it your suggestion seems like a great idea. I just wish I knew why this happened this time. I believe they (the installers) must have done/used something different.

caedos
07-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Unfortunately it may be tough to get the installers to come out and fix their own work after a year has gone by, and that's sad if it occurs. Beeswax is okay and fairly common in reputable installs. I have found that the wax is subject to heat, weather, impact, and the porous slate will absorb a minute amount over time. The mechanic I work with refuses to use anything but Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty, and he has never ever had a customer issue on equipment that has not been abused. I'd say 'we', but I've only done about ten or a dozen jobs with him; he's done hundreds. As for the problem you have now... if you know that the material they used will break up without cutting your cloth: you can get a block of wood or full deck of cards or some such, and place it over the lumps before using a hammer to crush them to powder. It should play better and may vacuum up. It might also creat more of the same problem further down the seam or on the other seam at the other slate. A problem for the installer is that the cloth was probably cut too short to re-pull and staple without lots of work. Also consider if the joint seam is rough or smooth. If the seam opened up because of this, nothing you do will get it back to good playing condition short of getting a table mechanic on the job.

Good luck!

Carl

Greg in VA
08-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks for responding! I took the metal ruler portion off my carpenter's sq. and using my wife's girl hammer, tapped out all the loose stuff. Took a LONG time as the Simonis quickly numbed the feeling in my fingers from the friction. Made it Very hard to find the little critters lurking under the cloth. Got all of them I think. Table plays great again. You CAN hear a ball with a lot of pace as it crosses the seam in some places but overall I'm happy.