PDA

View Full Version : Everest Cue Tip

slipstroke
07-14-2006, 07:30 AM
Is the Everest a good tip choice? I notice they are a little less expensive than the Moori (in Muellers catalog anyway). The hardness is about the same as the Moori medium.

Rich R.
07-14-2006, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slipstroke:</font><hr> Is the Everest a good tip choice? I notice they are a little less expensive than the Moori (in Muellers catalog anyway). The hardness is about the same as the Moori medium. <hr /></blockquote>
Although I have never tried one, they were highly recommended to me, by Chris Cass, a couple of years ago.

Sid_Vicious
07-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Please insert Samari in place of the Everest. The Everest might be a fine tip for all I kjnow today. sv

I have a freebie install of one from Spiderman for experimentation purposes, supposedly a hard version, but to me it is far from hard. In fact I noticed yesterday that the entire tip had expanded uniformly all the way from the glue line to the crown just after a few hours of play time. I'm going to trim it this weekend and try it some more, but I'd have to say that today...I would not skimp on the cost of a Moori for this tip. My Moori tips(H) have very, very rarely required any maintainence after install, and YES I do include reshaping as well.

If you prefer medium graded tips, then get the hard version. It actually don't play that bad but it's too dang soft for me(that's what SHE said)...sid

suckershot
07-14-2006, 11:23 AM
IMO, the Everest is an excellent tip. I have one which comes standard issue on the new Predator shafts, and I like it a lot. I used Mooris before, and Moori is a good tip too, didn't really have any problems with them. Having said that, the Everest (IMO) seem to hold their shape better and don't need as much scuffing. They hold chalk very well.

I will say that I have also read some less than positive reviews, but then again, for what product in the world aren't you going to read some positives and some negatives? Price wise, I think they're close to the same, although I haven't checked recently. I will say that I could potentially have a Moori tip put on for me for less than what I might normally pay just for tip itself otherwise, but I would probably still buy an Everest and pay to have it put on even if it cost more.

Bumps
07-14-2006, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote suckershot:</font><hr> the Everest (IMO) seem to hold their shape better and don't need as much scuffing. They hold chalk very well.<hr /></blockquote>

After I had Mike put Mooris' on my Gulyassy, I never had to shape or scuff either tip. Did you have to shape/scuff yours? I know some people mess with their tips constantly {not saying you do}. The Mooris' on the cue I play with now need a bit of work, but they were put on by hand, not with a lathe. I would like them more rounded {dime radius} than they are now and may try to have Mike shape them this weekend.

suckershot
07-14-2006, 03:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote suckershot:</font><hr> the Everest (IMO) seem to hold their shape better and don't need as much scuffing. They hold chalk very well.<hr /></blockquote>

After I had Mike put Mooris' on my Gulyassy, I never had to shape or scuff either tip. Did you have to shape/scuff yours? I know some people mess with their tips constantly {not saying you do}. The Mooris' on the cue I play with now need a bit of work, but they were put on by hand, not with a lathe. I would like them more rounded {dime radius} than they are now and may try to have Mike shape them this weekend. <hr /></blockquote>

With my Moori, it seemed like I had to scuff it a lot, because it wouldn't be long before it was smooth and shiny again. It held shape reasonably well, although after a while it did seem to mushroom a little bit. A friend of mine had a more pronounced mushrooming problem with his Moori.

Like I said, I don't really have any complaints about Moori in terms of its performance, it just seems like there was more maintenance to be done to the tip than my Everest.

hankhill
07-15-2006, 10:29 AM
I've used everest tips for a few years now. Never had any problems-seems like a fairly hard tip. I scuff it when it starts to look a bit shiny, every week or so.

TedKaufman
07-21-2006, 05:21 PM
The Everest tips are excellent, as good as any tip I've tried, including Moori III Med. In fact, Everest and Moori III M play very similarly, wear similarly and hold their shape similarly.

The hit feel of an Everest is slightly softer than Moori M. But in terms of effective play, amount of english, etc., I see no difference at all. The hit of the Everest tip is *very* similar to a Triangle.

I like both tips equally well and would be perfectly happy with either tip on any cue I own.

vonn31
07-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah I have to scuff my moori quite often as well. It doesn't take much though. I have a tip pik and I gently press it over the tip covering the entire surface. I've been thinking of trying a moori soft. Anybody ever tried one?

Hal