PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Predator Shaft

slipstroke
07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Is there a lot of adjusting to do when switching from a normal 13mm shaft to the 314 Predator shaft? If so, what type of adjustments do you have to make?
Thanks,

ALLENJK
07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Any and all adjustments will be dependant on your skill level , your stroke and the equipment that you are currently playing with. Predator makes an excellent product , but I would look at and hit other low deflection shafts before making my decision. I personally prefer the OB-1(www.obcues.com) because of the solid feel and the superior spin. This allows me to move more toward the center of the CB, this in turn takes even more deflection out of the equation.

c.holtz009
07-20-2006, 02:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ALLENJK:</font><hr> Any and all adjustments will be dependant on your skill level , your stroke and the equipment that you are currently playing with. Predator makes an excellent product , but I would look at and hit other low deflection shafts before making my decision. I personally prefer the OB-1(www.obcues.com) because of the solid feel and the superior spin. This allows me to move more toward the center of the CB, this in turn takes even more deflection out of the equation. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree totally. I also prefer the OB1 shaft.

Jal
07-22-2006, 02:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slipstroke:</font><hr> Is there a lot of adjusting to do when switching from a normal 13mm shaft to the 314 Predator shaft? If so, what type of adjustments do you have to make?
Thanks, <hr /></blockquote>Assuming your current cue is typical, when applying english you'll have to angle your cue away from the intended cueball direction by roughly 25% less. So for a tip offset that requires 2 degrees of squirt compensation now, you'll need around 1.5 degrees with the 314.

As a word of caution though, the whole subject is a bit slippery. The above is based on the second generation 314 with a pivot point of 12.5". People have reported the pivot point of the first generation 314 at anywhere from 25" to 50", based on the aim-and-pivot test. But if you calculate it using the deflection numbers from Predator's website, you get 11.8". This agrees with the number at Platinum Billiards, who do their own testing.

Predator doesn't give the deflection data for the 314-2, but it can be infered from their claim that it reduces squirt by 35%. Not directly though, because they used some curious arithmetic to arrive at their reduction figures for the 314-1. If you assume they did the same thing here, and why not, the actual reduction is 26%. And from that you get the pivot point at 12.5".

However you cut it, it's vastly different from what people have measured with aim-and-pivot. Since Predator and Platinum use a robotic arm, precise offsets, and a direct way of measuring the ball deflections, I would think that their way is the most reliable. With aim-and-pivot, it's easy to see how some errors are introduced by throw and post-impact cueball swerve. But it's hard to explain, I think, the large magnitude of the differences.

Jim

mnShooter
07-23-2006, 10:27 PM
The pivot point changes with speed. Faster = shorter pivot point. Slower = longer pivot point. Low deflection cues are more accurate with harder shots and less accurate with softer shots if you have any unintended english.

Jal
07-24-2006, 12:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mnShooter:</font><hr> The pivot point changes with speed. Faster = shorter pivot point. Slower = longer pivot point....<hr /></blockquote>Very true. And I thought that this might help explain the disparity too, if that's what you mean.

But I came across a post on RSB where Steve Titus at Platinum reports that his tests show that squirt increases by only 0.2% to 0.3% over a range of speeds from 9 mph to 21 mph, for a variety of shafts. Since we need to account for something like a 200%-300% difference, this idea doesn't get us very far!

Jim

Koenig
07-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Do it man, just do it!

Itīll take you a couple of days to adjust but I promise itīs worth it. But if you slipstroke a lot it might take a while longer.