PDA

View Full Version : Major addition to 1982 Dayton Gallery

BillPorter
07-19-2006, 06:53 AM
I came across two rolls of film with images from the 1982 Dayton 9-Ball Open. I was able to add an additional 31 images to the existing Smugmug gallery giving us a total of 50 images for that tournament. The additional images includes shots of Earl Strickland, Cornbread Red, Steve Cook, Allen Hopkins, Buddy Hall, Mike Sigel, Jimmy Reid, Louie Roberts, Gary Speath, and Grady Matthews.

Have a look and enjoy the newly found pics! http://billporter.smugmug.com/gallery/1606933

Bassn7
07-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Bill, again. THANK YOU! Awesome job.

Bob C
07-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the great photos Bill. It must have been an incredible experience to have been there among all that great young talent. I'm familiar with all of the players you identified except Jimmy Zhender and Joe Burns. Can you please enlighten me?

BillPorter
07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Joe Burns owned the pool hall where the tournament was held. I think it was called Forrest Park Billiards, but maybe someone will correct me on that. Jimmy Zhender is from Kentucky and plays (or played?) a pretty sporty game of bank pool. As a youth, he spent some time at the Rack & Cue in Detroit and was schooled by the various players and hoodlums of that place and time. He likes to be known as "Kentucky Jim." He was never really road player status, but more of a shortstop. He knew Billy Burge (Cornbread Red) from his days in Detroit. He has three brothers, two of whom are pool players. Pete Zhender, not as good a player as Jimmy, worked at the Rack for a spell and has been known to write a poem or two. Lou Z., the oldest brother, just retired from the railroad and is moving to Florida. That should be enough on the Zhender clan.

Bob C
07-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the information, Bill.