PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Buffs Here?

Sid_Vicious
07-22-2006, 05:30 PM
I just today ordered myself a UPS for my DLP tv to protect the bulb in a power outage. Do any of you have this DLP/bulb protected with such, and possibly a conditioner? I want to know where in the line to install the UPS along with my line conditioner(Monster, yea overpriced I know.) Thing is that the UPS has it's inherent junk in the waveform, not pure sinewave, so I want to capatalize on the conditioner as well as the UPS, if feasable. Can, and should the UPS be between the wall and the conditioner, or between the TV and the outlet on the conditioner. Tia...sid

Chopstick
07-25-2006, 05:49 AM
The UPS should always be the first thing out of the wall. You want it to be the first thing that gets hit by a lightning spike. Central Florida is the lightning capital of the earth. Wall power around here is also inconsistent. Interruptions are frequent and I would bet that voltages are moving around all the time.

I just think of them as sacrificial pieces. Better to fry a $200 UPS than more expensive equipment. I usually spend 5 to 10 percent of the total value of the attached equipment in UPS protection. I would never plug a computer straight into wall power. About 10 years ago it occurred to that I had better start doing the same thing for my other stuff. I started out with the small APCs that you get at CompUSA. They would only last about a year or so and die. After the forth one died I switched to the Belikns. They have been online for about a year now. So far, no problems.