PDA

View Full Version : Is it Legal to Use a Wrist Brace in Competition?

02-22-2002, 10:42 PM
I don't see anything in the BCA rulebook that would lead me to believe it would not be legal to utilize a wrist brace in tournament play. I'm experimenting myself with the use of a constrictive wrist brace while shooting - to eliminate unnecessary wrist action (twisting of the cue) during the pool stroke. The brace still allows for some sideways moving of the wrist as needed in the follow-thru when releasing the cue - but keeps the back of the hand squared with the forearm at all times.

So far, as a training aid I really think this will benefit my game - but just wondering what in the rules could possibly prevent me from using it even in tournament competition? Any thoughts or opinions as to it's legality or as a beneficial stroke teaching aid would be much appreciated - thanks. - Chris in NC

Troy
02-23-2002, 12:02 AM
Chris... I agree that I can't locate anything in the rules preventing a wrist brace... (It's not an "aiming devise", is it)

Rod
02-23-2002, 12:46 AM
I don't know of any rule Chris. I think that most people
would look at it as a handicap instead of a game
improvement device. Something I still use on some
occasions is a 2 lb wrist weight as a training aid.
It does help keep the wrist straight, but thats not the
only reason. Its a way of getting people to feel a weight
swing while shooting shots at slower speeds. Hold the cue light and swing the weight. There is more but thats not your issue. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Rod

TonyM
02-23-2002, 02:48 AM
Yes I'm sure that it's legal. Seems someone at one of the recent Billiard trade shows was selling one made specifically for pool. I tried it and couldn't make a ball with it! Not sure what that means, and maybe I don't want to know!

Tony

rackmup
02-25-2002, 12:12 AM
Played a guy in Reno at a BCA event last year that wore one for the same reason you are...apparently it is legal!

Ken (needs a body brace to keep everything still, rigid, aligned and straight when playing)