PDA

View Full Version : SARAH ELLERBY (THE LAST WOMEN STANDING)

HarryDC
07-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Sarah Ellerby became the only women left standing with her 8 to 5 win over Teddy Garrahan. Sarah will be in group 70 with C. Williams, G. Owen, M. Manalo, R. Alcano.

Her work is really cut out for her to reach the $17,000.00 round 4.

PHOTO COURTESY OF JR CALVERT AND INSIDE POOL MAGAZINE
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/Gremlin711/SE_002_UP.jpg
Sarah playing David Matlock

Go for it "Velvet"! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HarryDC

recoveryjones
07-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Here's her grouping for tommorow:
Group 70
C. Williams,M. Manalo,R. Alcano,S. Ellerby,Owen

I wish her well and if she gets through tommorow I will be both astonished and very immpressed!!!!
RJ

HarryDC
07-26-2006, 01:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Here's her grouping for tommorow:
Group 70
C. Williams,M. Manalo,R. Alcano,S. Ellerby,Owen

I wish her well and if she gets through tommorow I will be both astonished and very immpressed!!!!
RJ

<hr /></blockquote>

RJ

Thanks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HarryDC

pooltchr
07-26-2006, 04:09 AM
She is playing outstanding pool! If I'm not mistaken, she has a pretty solid background playing 8-ball. That may be the reason she out-performed the other WPBA players in this event.
Steve

DickLeonard
07-26-2006, 06:25 AM
HarryDC I can tell from Sarah's grip she is going places. As for Mike Sigel it is tough to go back playing your old speed. Having the time to rekindle the old flame takes Disipline. Once you have laid off for a number of years
going back and playing pool 10 hours a day till you regained your form is near impossible. Sometimes yesterday is gone, the spark,the flame can't be ignited again.

The one thing Mike still has is his Opinion of Himself, now all he has to do is Devote his time to find the real Mike.####

Billy
07-26-2006, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> She is playing outstanding pool! If I'm not mistaken, she has a pretty solid background playing 8-ball. That may be the reason she out-performed the other WPBA players in this event.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

she is simply a far superior player to most of the WPBA'ers

jmo

pooltchr
07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> She is playing outstanding pool! If I'm not mistaken, she has a pretty solid background playing 8-ball. That may be the reason she out-performed the other WPBA players in this event.

jmo <hr /></blockquote>

I wouldn't call her far superior to Allison, Karen, Kelly or others. I would say that her experience playing 8-ball is a definite advantage.
Steve

eg8r
07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Well, she had a great run, but this is the end of the road for her.

eg8r

HarryDC
07-26-2006, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Well, she had a great run, but this is the end of the road for her.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r

It's never the end of the road, it's till the next tournament and the next tournament will be WPBA Midwest Classic tomorrow if she makes it on time. $10,000.00 not bad for maiden tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sarah is one and one right now and anything can happen.
Owen beat her 8-4 /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif she beat Charlie Williams 8-4
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

HarryDC

Billy
07-26-2006, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> She is playing outstanding pool! If I'm not mistaken, she has a pretty solid background playing 8-ball. That may be the reason she out-performed the other WPBA players in this event.

jmo <hr /></blockquote>

I wouldn't call her far superior to Allison, Karen, Kelly or others. I would say that her experience playing 8-ball is a definite advantage.

have no idea how much American 8 ball she's played

maybe far superior was stretching it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif but beyond the ones you mentioned the 'others' category quickly is diminished including the entire WPBA

she is quite the 'player'

jmo

Billy
07-26-2006, 04:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Well, she had a great run, but this is the end of the road for her.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

not sure if you're making a prediction

but she's still very much alive with 3 players advancing in this group

jmo

Billy
07-26-2006, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Well, she had a great run, but this is the end of the road for her.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r

It's never the end of the road, it's till the next tournament and the next tournament will be WPBA Midwest Classic tomorrow if she makes it on time. $10,000.00 not bad for maiden tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sarah is one and one right now and anything can happen.
Owen beat her 8-4 /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif she beat Charlie Williams 8-4
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

HarryDC

<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Manalo just beat her 8 to 0 for her second loss

pooltchr
07-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Billy,
I'm not taking anything away from her at all. She has a solid 8-ball background which is as I pointed out a definite advantage over most of the other WPBA players in this tour. And there is no doubt she is a strong player. I also believe she has been spending a lot of time recently with our own RandyG. I can attest to the fact that if you have him working with you, you will become a better player.
Background in the game, talent, and a great instructor to provide guidance...it should be no surprise she has done as well as she has.
Steve

HarryDC
07-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Hello

Well Sarah Ellerby got knocked out of the IPT Tournament in round three. She won $10,000.00 and by the time you read this she will be on her way to the WPBA Midwest Classic. She will be playing Heather Lloyd in the first round.

In her IPT run Sarah defeated:
Tuan Kiat Goh 8-5
Eric Hjorleifson 8-5
David Matlock 8-6
Corey Harper 8-2
Daniel Basavich 8-2
Theodore Garrahan 8-5
Charles Williams 8-4

In her IPT run Sarah was defeated by:
Keith Bennett 8-7
Jason Kirkwood 8-4
Lee Heuwagen 8-3
Gabe Owen 8-4
Marlon Manalo 8-0
Ronato Alcano 8-2

Good luck "Velvet" keep the wind at your back.

HarryDC

HarryDC
07-26-2006, 10:19 PM
A QUOTE FROM COREY HARPER PRO PLAYER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a quote from Corey Harper from an other board. Good man Corey Harper!

"Congratulations to Sarah!!!

She is most definately deserving of moving forward. She beat the living snot out of me in my first match of the day and put me in catch up mode. Tell you what, if she can inprove her break, what a force she would be.

Sincerely,

Corey Harper
Sales &amp; Marketing Manager
Tiger Products
corey@tigerproducts.com
www.tigerproducts.com (http://www.tigerproducts.com)
International: 818-238-9906
Phone: 800-5-Tiger-5
Fax: 818-238-9905"

HarryDC /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
07-27-2006, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's never the end of the road, it's till the next tournament and the next tournament will be WPBA Midwest Classic tomorrow if she makes it on time. $10,000.00 not bad for maiden tournament. <hr /></blockquote> How great would it be for her to get her 10k here and then go off and win the WPBA tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

HarryDC
07-27-2006, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
It's never the end of the road, it's till the next tournament and the next tournament will be WPBA Midwest Classic tomorrow if she makes it on time. $10,000.00 not bad for maiden tournament. <hr /></blockquote> How great would it be for her to get her 10k here and then go off and win the WPBA tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r

That would be wonderful but if you noted the scores the WPBA Women all dumped to get to East Peoria so they could be all rested up for todays play.

My champion Sarah is there but she is dog tired from playing real 8-Ball pool against the best men in the world for real cash.

So I like to dream but the reality is she may not make a TV match. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Sarah plays Heather Lloyd in the first round. Here is the link to the WPBA Brackets for you
WPBA BRACKETS MIDWEST CLASSIC 2006 (http://www.wpba.com/cms/?pid=1006359)

HarryDC /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eric.
07-27-2006, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> That would be wonderful but if you noted the scores the WPBA Women all dumped to get to East Peoria so they could be all rested up for todays play.

HarryDC /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Is ther any truth to this or is it a baseless piece of propaganda? Is this based on first hand knowledge? Why would the other WPBA players "dump" so early and not go one more round (with the additional $5000 paycheck) THEN go to Peoria? After all, they could have all did like Ellerby, which is to cash out for $10k and go to the WPBA event Wed. night, right?

Eric &gt;sure I'll love the answer

randyg
07-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Pooltchr: Thanks Steve.

I flew to Florida and worked with Sarah for a very brief time. She was perhaps one of my very best students. We all can learn from Sarah. Sarah is open minded, smart and willing to change for the better. I had a wonderful time working at her home, wish it could have lasted longer.

Let's always hope the best for everyone...SPF=randyg

Qtec
07-27-2006, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> That would be wonderful but if you noted the scores the WPBA Women all dumped to get to East Peoria so they could be all rested up for todays play.

Is ther any truth to this or is it a baseless piece of propaganda? Is this based on first hand knowledge? Why would the other WPBA players "dump" so early and not go one more round (with the additional $5000 paycheck) THEN go to Peoria? After all, they could have all did like Ellerby, which is to cash out for $10k and go to the WPBA event Wed. night, right?

Eric &gt;sure I'll love the answer <hr /></blockquote>

I,m sure you will! LMAO

Harry has a 'thing'for the girls.
Q

Jim Walker
07-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Well the truth is this is not a "ladies" event with 2 or 3 strong players. This is 100+ of the best players in the world and not for the weak of heart or weak of mind or weak of body. It's 10 hrs/day of grinding against the best there is. That being said, I guess Archer dumped so he could go play golf today. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bsmutz
07-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm pretty sure they all check in with Harry before they make a move...

jjinfla
07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Pooltchr: Thanks Steve.

I flew to Florida and worked with Sarah for a very brief time. She was perhaps one of my very best students. We all can learn from Sarah. Sarah is open minded, smart and willing to change for the better. I had a wonderful time working at her home, wish it could have lasted longer.

...SPF=randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Looks like the lessons paid off. I hope you worked with her on her break. Watched her play Tommy Kennedy a while back and that sure was her weak point.

Jake

randyg
07-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Sorry Jake, never got that far. Too little time, too much to do.....SPF=randyg

Rich R.
07-27-2006, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> That would be wonderful but if you noted the scores the WPBA Women all dumped to get to East Peoria so they could be all rested up for todays play.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Is ther any truth to this or is it a baseless piece of propaganda? Is this based on first hand knowledge? Why would the other WPBA players "dump" so early and not go one more round (with the additional $5000 paycheck) THEN go to Peoria? After all, they could have all did like Ellerby, which is to cash out for $10k and go to the WPBA event Wed. night, right?

Eric &gt;sure I'll love the answer <hr /></blockquote>
Eric, I think you know as well as I that, with the amount of money involved, no one is dumping IPT matches to go anywhere. It wouldn't make sense. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PoolSharkAllen
07-27-2006, 09:53 PM
<hr /></blockquote>

Looks like the lessons paid off. I hope you worked with her on her break. Watched her play Tommy Kennedy a while back and that sure was her weak point.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>
One thing that I've found to be interesting about the North American IPT is that they posted a spreadsheet of various metrics on win/losses, as well as on break-and-run statistics. Since Ellerby advanced further than the other women, I thought it was interesting to compare her B&amp;R statistics to other women and to men, as well. The following is part of a post that I made on another thread. Since we don't usually see detailed B&amp;R statistics of this nature, I had hoped that other viewers might comment on it and share any insights they had on it:

"In the North American IPT, Reyes breaks-and-runs in about 20% of the total games he's played. Of the games that he's won, Reyes's B&amp;R is 29%. Bustamante's B&amp;R percentages are even higher, at 27% and 40%, respectively.

Sarah Ellerby, who made it further in this tournament than the other women, has B&amp;R percentages that are much lower. Elllerby broke-and-ran in about 3.3% of the total games she's played. Of the games that she's won, Ellerby's B&amp;R is 6.6%. (Many men, by the way, also posted similar percentages, so I'm not trying to single out Ellerby's performance in this tournament.)

Regardless of gender, having a superior rack-breaking ability appears to be a crucial component in getting to the upper levels of the game of 8-ball.

Breaking racks is just one aspect of playing 8-ball but it does set the tone for how the game is completed. After the rack is broken, it now comes down to superior tactical ability, strategizing and execution."

Billy
07-28-2006, 01:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HarryDC:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r

That would be wonderful but if you noted the scores the WPBA Women all dumped to get to East Peoria so they could be all rested up for todays play.

My champion Sarah is there but she is dog tired from playing real 8-Ball pool against the best men in the world for real cash.

So I like to dream but the reality is she may not make a TV match. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Sarah plays Heather Lloyd in the first round. Here is the link to the WPBA Brackets for you
WPBA BRACKETS MIDWEST CLASSIC 2006 (http://www.wpba.com/cms/?pid=1006359)

dumping $350k for a chance to win $350 ? &lt;exaggeration&gt;

I don't think so /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

as far as her not rested? she should be pumped up, in stroke, and ready to conquer the inferior talent of the WPBA

I wouldn't be surprised if she goes all the way in Peoria

again jmo

randyg
07-28-2006, 04:08 AM
Just because Sarah had a great 8-ball game doesn't mean she has a great 9-ball game! SPF=randyg

jjinfla
08-01-2006, 05:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolSharkAllen:</font><hr> One thing that I've found to be interesting about the North American IPT is that they posted a spreadsheet of various metrics on win/losses, as well as on break-and-run statistics. <hr /></blockquote>

Here is a link to that spreadsheet. It sure has a lot of stats to ponder.

http://www.internationalpooltour.com/ipt_content/events/06_na_8ball_open/player_statistics.asp

One thing to keep in mind is that it is harder to make a ball on the break on the IPT Diamond tables.

While at the KOTH I overheard Sigel telling someone that "we break from the D and use slow cloth and small pockets to make it harder to make balls on the break." At the time they were deciding which tables to remove for the next day and he picked one table because too many balls were going in on the break.

But, the pros being the pros that they are, overcome all the odds and still make balls on the break and run the table and make it look easy.

Check the 8 on break stats. Not the one in 35 like on regular bar boxes. Closer to one in 600.

Jake