PDA

View Full Version : Same Number Of Warm Up Strokes Every Shot?

TomBrooklyn
07-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Some people advocate using the same number of warm-up strokes on every shot. This doesn't work for me because I don't always see the shot as easily every time, get my bridge hand just right every time, get the tip where I want it on the cue ball with the same degree of accuracy every time, etc.

I take some fast and loose warm up strokes just to settle in and then slow down and take about three to five warm-up strokes to get the right aim and cue tip on the CB position.

I know developing consistancy in every aspect of the pre-shot routine has something to do with it, but I don't know how some people can be sure they will always have the shot just right with a set number of strokes.

07-12-2002, 12:06 PM
I tried the set number of warmup strokes myself after reading pleasures of small motions. the chapter on timing and rhythm was great. I played some of the best pool of my life with my 5 stroke cadence. Then the wheels fell off and the magic didn't work anymore. It did go well for 3-4 months. It was after that I went to see Jerry Breisath. He picked up on my cadence in about 2 seconds. While he saw the importance of being consistant, what if I wasn't ready to shoot when my cadence was telling me to shoot. He put me on a system that was similar but better, but I can't tell it here because it cost me 500 bucks. Good luck to all in finding their rhythm.

on a side note jerry told me that he does not read all the books out there for fear if he is teaching the same thing the authors will say he stole it from them. I did think my lessons were great.

mike athens

stickman
07-12-2002, 12:35 PM
Tom, like you, I am normally in the 3-5 stroke range. Before I can pull the trigger, my mind has to tell me it's okay.

Quote - Scott Lee:
Regardless of whether we are amateur or pro, any forced errors that happen, occur on the last swing of the cuestick. As a teacher, I try to break that swing down to the ridiculous. After a pause at the CB, it is one continuous movement, starting slowly back, hesitating just enough to change direction, and forward smoothly to completion. The perfect stroke. So, to prepare properly to MAKE that perfect stroke requires some information, which then allows you to DECIDE whether THIS stroke is the perfect one, or you need some more warmups to get ready.
To make this decision (Is this the ONE stroke?), you must answer four questions. They are, in order of importance...
1)do I know where I am aiming on the CB (basically on the vertical axis); 2)do I know where I am aiming on the OB (so that it will go in the hole); 3)do I know how hard I'm going to hit the shot (basically soft/lag, medium, or hard/break); and 4)do I have a REASONABLE idea of where the CB is going to end up afterwards. To ask these questions and get the right answers requires a minimum of 2 seconds from the human brain. If you don't pause for 2 full seconds, your brain doesn't have enough time to decide if you're really ready to go. Being in a hurry in pool usually means being in a hurry to miss. This 4 question checklist, which happens in the blink of an eye, when you're down on the shot, paused at the CB, can often make the difference between success and missing. [end quote]

Depending on the difficulty of the shot, it sometimes takes longer to answer these questions.

phil in sofla
07-12-2002, 12:41 PM
How about saying the PRE-preliminary strokes vary, as you are settling in, and then, the REAL preliminary strokes can commence, which you only start once you are in a 'final approach' mode, ready to go on 3 or whatever?

And then Danny Glover asks...

griffith_d
07-12-2002, 02:08 PM
On easy shots,...it will be just one and then pull the trigger. On uneasy shots,...5-7 plus a pause then 1 more and the shoot.

Griff

Tom_In_Cincy
07-12-2002, 05:15 PM
My number of strokes changes with each shot. It also depends on the difficulty of the shot, english(off center) aim point (close or more than 3 feet) and speed. I try to match my strokes to the speed that I want to use to make the shot. Pause is very important.. however slight...I must pause to make everything click for execution..

If you ever have any trouble (and all of us do to some degree) with shots that are JACKED UP, practice strokes are absolutely necessary to execute a well delivered hit on the cue ball. Never less than 3 practice strokes when JACKED UP.

JimS
07-12-2002, 08:29 PM
I was taught that if my pre-shot routine varies then it's not a routine and that if I'm not ready to shoot by the time I've gone through my 4 stroke pre-shot routine then I need to get up and re-think the shot.

The idea behind this being that if I've done my aiming and shape thinking while standing then I shouldn't need to do any more than my normal routine while down on the shot. If I DO need to do more aiming and/or thinking then I wasn't ready to get down on the shot.

I like it. It does away with lack of confidence when I make the final stroke.

If it doesn't feel RIGHT.....or ON.... then get up and re-plan the shot.

This one thing has done more for my accuracy than any other one change I've made....I think. (I say "I think" because it's an impossible statement to prove).