PDA

View Full Version : Rape victim denied morning after pill

Qtec
07-26-2006, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rape victim denied morning after pill by PA hospital
07/26/2006 @ 9:26 am
Filed by RAW STORY

"A Good Samaritan Hospital emergency room doctor refused to give a rape victim a morning-after pill because he said it was against his Mennonite religion," the (registration-restricted) PennLive.com reported late Tuesday. Rebuffed by the doctor, the woman called her gynecologist, who wrote the prescription. Her local pharmacy told her it was out of the drug and referred her to a sister store in Reading.

The former medical director of the hospital said he sees nothing strange about asking a woman from eastern Lebanon County to drive to Reading for a drug.

"People drive to Reading to buy jeans. Even if that were the case, that you had to drive to Reading to get this [prescription], to me that does not rise to a compulsion that you have to pass laws that [doctors] have to do something," Dr. Joe Kearns said.

The state backs his refusal, PENNLIVE reports.

Hospitals are not required to prescribe emergency contraception pills, and the state does not keep statistics on how many do, said Richard McGarvey, spokesman for the state Health Department. Kearns said a doctor has rights, too.

"The question is, if you are a physician, do you have to provide services to patients that you think are heinous? And the answer is in this country [is] no, you don't," Kearns said.
<hr /></blockquote>

The answer should be YES! What if he doesn't belive in blood transfusions? Or organ transplant?

Fire his ass and let him work at burger king. He should have no problem with ethics there.

Q...whatever happened to the Hypocritical oath?

eg8r
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The answer should be YES! What if he doesn't belive in blood transfusions? Or organ transplant? <hr /></blockquote> Unlike yourself, the patient was smart enough to seek A SECOND OPINION.

[ QUOTE ]
Fire his ass and let him work at burger king. <hr /></blockquote> Fire him because he was doing everything legally. He gets to make the decision. Seek a second opinion instead of making stupid comments like this.

eg8r

Qtec
07-26-2006, 10:28 AM
He should be making a decision based on the welfare of the patient, not on his own personal Religious beliefs. Nobody is asking HIM to take the pill. The fact that it is legal is another sign of the,[ according to you non-existant] , creeping American Rightwing Christian Theology.

If you don't like fire, don't join the fire Dept.

Q

wolfdancer
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
While forcing a traumatized rape victim, to drive a distance for something that would prevent an unwanted pregnancy,is legal, and might fit in with his morality code....it's scary that a patient's treatment depends on a Doctor's religious beliefs.
You identify with the Doctor's rights here....Q and I, the patient. I wonder how rightous your Dr. would feel, if driving in that state of anxiety...she was involved in a major auto crash. Might seem a far fetched scenario to you, until you have seen a rape victim.....

Deeman3
07-26-2006, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> While forcing a traumatized rape victim, to drive a distance for something that would prevent an unwanted pregnancy,is legal, and might fit in with his morality code....it's scary that a patient's treatment depends on a Doctor's religious beliefs.
You identify with the Doctor's rights here....Q and I, the patient. I wonder how rightous your Dr. would feel, if driving in that state of anxiety...she was involved in a major auto crash. Might seem a far fetched scenario to you, until you have seen a rape victim..... <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I agree. If a doctor has prescribed a medicine, it should be delivered and the poor woman should not have to endure more pain because of this person's personal beliefs. Rape victims already have enough to deal with and should not have to tolerate this typw of treatment. </font color>

Deeman

wolfdancer
07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Dee, it's hard to believe that even Ed could be so callous, so completely lacking of sympathy for a rape victim.
I read where psychopaths cannot empathize with others....not saying that Ed has a borderline psychopathic personality....I'd have to examine him first. I'm not a psychologist, but I did drive by a holiday Inn recently

Chopstick
07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Dee, it's hard to believe that even Ed could be so callous, so completely lacking of sympathy for a rape victim.
I read where psychopaths cannot empathize with others....not saying that Ed has a borderline psychopathic personality....I'd have to examine him first. I'm not a psychologist, but I did drive by a holiday Inn recently
<hr /></blockquote>

Ed doesn't really think that way. He's just aggravating Q, which I might add is completely legal and frequently encouraged. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r
07-26-2006, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While forcing a traumatized rape victim, to drive a distance for something that would prevent an unwanted pregnancy,is legal, and might fit in with his morality code....it's scary that a patient's treatment depends on a Doctor's religious beliefs. <hr /></blockquote> I agree. I just don't think someone should lose their job while not doing anything "legally" wrong (or doing anything against company policy).

eg8r

eg8r
07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like fire, don't join the fire Dept. <hr /></blockquote> I hope people who hate fire join the fire dept. They will do their best to put the fire out quickly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
07-26-2006, 11:23 PM
That there hypocritical oath you mentioned is the one Bush and Cheney took....
Doctor's however take a Hippocratic Oath.
I think it's on the back of my Medicare Card....sorry, I know how that program offends you.

Gayle in MD
07-26-2006, 11:38 PM
If his religious views interfere with his ability to serve a customer/patient, he's standing behind the wrong counter, in the case of a pharmacist, and the doctor, should be sued. His comparison to buying jeans, is a commentary to his inability to have any empathy for his patient. Neither of them should be invoved in health care, if they expect their patients to abide by their personal religious beliefs!

Gayle in Md.

Qtec
07-27-2006, 01:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
If you don't like fire, don't join the fire Dept. <hr /></blockquote> I hope people who hate fire join the fire dept. They will do their best to put the fire out quickly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Imagine your house is on fire. The firetruck pulls up and they all jump out, ready for action. The chief walks up to you and says, "Sorry Mr eg8r, I can't put out the fire because it would bring you a lifetime of bad luck! Me and my crew are Neo-Pagan-Wickers and your house is on a Lay Line. Its a half-moon and Venus is in accendacy. To mix water and fire here would be very bad Jojo. Its for your own good. "

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Qtec
07-27-2006, 01:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Imagine your house is on fire. The firetruck pulls up and they all jump out, ready for action. The chief walks up to you and says, "Sorry Mr eg8r, I can't put out the fire because it would bring you a lifetime of bad luck! Me and my crew are Neo-Pagan-Wickers and your house is on a Lay Line. Its a half-moon and Venus is in accendancy. To mix water and fire here would be very bad Jojo. Its for your own good. Let me make a call, there's a Catholic team just 50 miles away. They can help you. "

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

eg8r
07-27-2006, 03:53 AM
LOL, as you know I would not be a happy camper, but I can assure you, he would not be leaving my burning house in his fire truck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

wolfdancer
07-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Q, it was late at night, and past the old man's sack time. when I posted that...it was a reply to that other guy

Qtec
07-27-2006, 06:52 AM
Actually I think it was a Freudian slip on my part.
Q