PDA

View Full Version : Pool Ball Cleaning

rodz3434
07-26-2006, 06:28 PM
I just recently got a table from a friend and the set of Balls is about five years old and very dirty - is there a home remedy that can be used to clean the balls back to near new or will I need to purchase a Billiard specific cleaner ?

Jim Walker
07-26-2006, 07:31 PM
I have a "mini buffer" that I picked up at the U.S. Open a couple of years ago. It's at www.mini-buffer.com (http://www.mini-buffer.com) now. It cleans 3 balls at a time using an electric drill for the circular motion. There may be better ways but if you have your own table you should have some way to clean/polish the balls.
Jim

wolfdancer
07-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Rod, they cleaned the balls at the pool halls for years with just toweling and windex.....and any plastic polish works well .

BigRigTom
07-27-2006, 09:24 AM
I use regular ball cleaner called Le Manifik Ball Cleaner (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/lemabacltp.html) cost about $10 and it works great but does require a little elbow grease and it take some time plus when you're done your hands smell like car polish....that is probably what it really is anyways.

I have been thinking about buying a ball cleaning machine because my table is in the garage and the balls pickup dust and grime rather quickly.....more so at least than they would if the table was inside a house.
Anyway.....
$59.95 plus 7.95 shipping seems like a LOT for a device that has NO motor of it's own, only cleans 3 balls at at time and looks sort of like a plastic cup in the picture.

Has anyone owned one of these or even actually seen it?
Maybe it is worth the price but my 1st impression in "NO WAY!".
I am a sucker for these gimicks and don't mind spending money for a somewhat unique item but I'm having trouble seeing the value in this one.

bsmutz
07-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Just use some metal polish or car polish followed by WD-40, carnuba wax, or some other such shiny maker and you'll be fine.

Rich R.
07-27-2006, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> I use regular ball cleaner called Le Manifik Ball Cleaner (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/lemabacltp.html) cost about $10 and it works great but does require a little elbow grease and it take some time plus when you're done your hands smell like car polish....that is probably what it really is anyways.

I have been thinking about buying a ball cleaning machine because my table is in the garage and the balls pickup dust and grime rather quickly.....more so at least than they would if the table was inside a house.
Anyway.....
$59.95 plus 7.95 shipping seems like a LOT for a device that has NO motor of it's own, only cleans 3 balls at at time and looks sort of like a plastic cup in the picture.

I am a sucker for these gimicks and don't mind spending money for a somewhat unique item but I'm having trouble seeing the value in this one. <hr /></blockquote>
For years, I used Karseal ball cleaner, which is probably similar to your Le Manifik Ball Cleaner. It is time consuming and, after a while, is hard on the hands.

I tried the Mini-Buffer. It only works if the balls are not too dirty. Since it only cleans 3 balls at a time, it is a little bit teadeous and I found that I was not using it often enough.

At Valley Forge, I bit the bullet and bought a commercial type cleaning machine from Bludworth. They had a decent, but not inexpensive price on it for the Expo. It was the best move I ever made. I load the machine, spray the balls with the liquid, turn the timer and walk away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Save your pennies, and dollars, and buy a decent cleaning machine. There are several on the market, but none are cheap.

1hit1der
07-27-2006, 10:44 AM
I have the Karseal stuff. Similar experience as everyone else. I've had a couple accidents where it sprayed everywhere too. But I don't have my own table, so I'm really not sure about investing in a ball cleaner first. I have heard that Armor All and similar products shine up the balls really well though.

Jim Walker
07-27-2006, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> I use regular ball cleaner called Le Manifik Ball Cleaner (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/lemabacltp.html) cost about $10 and it works great but does require a little elbow grease and it take some time plus when you're done your hands smell like car polish....that is probably what it really is anyways.

Anyway.....

I am a sucker for these gimicks and don't mind spending money for a somewhat unique item but I'm having trouble seeing the value in this one. <hr /></blockquote>

I posted the link because I have one that I purchased at the U.S. Open a couple of years ago. It was not that expensive then. By the way it takes about 5 seconds to polish the 3 balls. I use my ordinary electric drill which turns 1200 rpm. Also it does not "clean" the balls in my experience. I clean them with "409" cleaner and then polish them with the mini-buffer. So in my opinion it's not worth that price either.
Jim