PDA

View Full Version : Earl

Billy
07-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Earl Strickland engendered controversy during his second-round, televised match with Nick Van den Berg of Holland. Strickland made several comments to Van den Berg’s family members who were in the audience, and things escalated from there. In an interview later, Van den Berg called Strickland “a disgrace to the sport,” while Strickland was unrepentant, saying, “I know I’m a terrible person, but you still have to show me some kind of respect.” IPT Tour Director Deno Andrews is investigating the situation. Behavior that is deemed unsportsmanlike conduct can result in a suspension or loss of a Tour Card. Strickland’s day came down to a hair-splitting match with Ronato Alcano, who won the Manila stop of the ferocious 2005 San Miguel Asian 9-Ball Tour and celebrated his 34th birthday today. Though Alcano held an early 4-1 lead, from there it was every man for himself, and it turned out to be another nail-biter. In the very last rack, Strickland still had two object balls on the table but couldn’t make either of them. Instead of opting to play safe, he blasted them, and Alcano was able to run out (though he left himself an almost 45-degree angle on the 8!) for the win. Alcano advances, Strickland is eliminated.

xbubbax
07-28-2006, 06:34 AM
IMHO i think that earl is the worst player to play with / against becasue hes rude, judgemental, snobby, and he thinks hes gods greatest gift to pool. i wouldnt want to play him, nor deal with his criticism and rude comments.

this is not the 1st time hes done this, i belive he has a lil record going for having a 2 1/2 hp engine attached to his lips and running them.

big mouth with a crappy additude, gets you earl.

marek
07-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Maybe Earl is one of the best players ever to hold the cue but I know few guys who would crush his jaw if he acted like this while playing them... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9 Ball Girl
07-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Earl is definitely temperamental, and he's also a great player. What would any sport be without your characters? Like I posted on AZB, Earl is the player that everyone loves to hate and I would go out on a limb and say that the audience for any of Earl's matches almost always hope to cath an "Earl Breakdown".

I love the way he plays. The way he acts is questionable but at least he's real. And, call me nuts, I'd rather see that than the obvious sneaky sharking that some other players pull. JMO

Rich R.
07-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Earl is probably the best 9-ball player in the history of the game. However, his actions have been forgiven for too long. It is about time TD's step up and take some action to force him to behave as well as the other players.
Reports indicate that Deno is investigating the incident. Hopefully, he will take the appropriate, and necessary, action.

Qtec
07-28-2006, 09:07 AM
We have to draw the line between showmanship and downright sharking!
I love Earl and I like his antics but disrespecting a fellow player is too much.
Q......... How about a basketball game and one of the players is insulting someone in the crowd??????????

DSAPOLIS
07-28-2006, 09:15 AM
I posted about this on Az, and I will reiterate it here - it takes two to tango in these situations. People that post these negative opinions of Earl don't know Earl personally, which sort of diminishes the accuracy of anything they say about him.

Earl plays the game with his heart. He is a very emotional player. He can handily beat 97% of all players in the world, and believe it or not, he is the most decorated player in the history of pocket billiards. Does he have a temper? Yes, and so do you. Sometimes Earl blows a gasket - but 99% of the time it is in part due to the interaction of other people within the same situation.

These clashes of personalities is what sells tickets. If Deno is dumb enough to penalize players for showing true emotion within the heat of battle - so be it. I think KT and Deno Andrews understand that emotions will be high with so much money at stake. Earl is a lot of things, but he puts asses in the seats. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Rich R.
07-28-2006, 10:25 AM
David, on most subjects I agree with you, but on this one I can not.

I have seen Earl blow up too many times, for no good reason.

At last year's U.S. Open, my wife applauded the introduction of Francisco Bustamante, who happened to be Earl's opponent. From that point on, she became the target of Earl's comments for the entire match. He was disgusting.

BTW, Earl totally ignored that fact that my wife also applauded his own introduction.

This is not the first time I have seen Earl go off on one of these senseless tirades and I'm sure it will not be the last. To be honest, I believe he uses these tirades to distract and shark his opponents.

Yes, Earl is a highly decorated player and he is definitely one of the best in history. However, his behavior is inexcusable and TD's around the world seem to give him more slack than they would any other player. Maybe, if someone stopped him years ago, he wouldn't be in the shape he is now.

I didn't witness this latest event, but I hope Deno examines the situation and, if appropriate, Earl is penalized.

bsmutz
07-28-2006, 10:27 AM
David, If you are looking at it from a strictly monetary (greed) perspective, then you are right. Whatever sells tickets and gets people in the stands is good for the bottom line. However, if you look at it from a sportsmanship, fair play, and maturity standpoint, then what Earl does isn't right. I appreciate the fact that Earl is emotionally involved. I feel that most of the players are emotionally involved in the sport. I know that I am. I do not see other players making disparaging comments about their opponent or smacking the cue ball around the table when they scratch like I have seen Earl do. Earl is good enough that he should let his cue do the talking. I personally like to listen to players when they are shooting and would rather watch an animated game between say Jeannette Lee and Vivian Villareal for entertainment than say Ralf Souquet and Thorsten Hohmann. I'm sure the pool would be better with the men, but sometimes you want to see some emotional attachment as the games progress rather than just the outburst at the end. When I'm playing someone else, I like to joke around and have fun while we're playing. But I don't put the other player down or slam balls around when things don't go my way. There's a big difference between being emotionally involved and being a jerk. I'll agree that sometimes Earl is justifiably aggravated by the actions of someone else and see no problem with him pointing it out. Being rude because you don't like to lose is a problem and should be dealt with.

Deeman3
07-28-2006, 10:40 AM
As I've said before, Johnny Mac dod much worse and was rarely sancitioned but did a lot for tennis. I won't defend Earl anymore but I would rather watch five minutes of one of his matches than two weeks of stoned faced player who never say a word.

Deeman

wolfdancer
07-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Q, been there, done that
web page (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1927380)
After 12 years of watching Earl in Reno, and his attitude towards the fans that came to watch him play....and the classic occasion, where Kim asked him, between sets in the finals, if he wanted to settle things outside.....I think he could have put even more "asses in the seats" with a better demeaner. Johnny Mac and Jimmy Conners played great tennis, but the outbursts were embaressing, and cheapened the matches.
Tiger draws a crowd, and proves you can play with great emotion, but channel it as something positive and to your game, and not negative to the other guy, and the crowd.
I've seen Earl "pick" on woman fans....a real "boost" for the game.

DickLeonard
07-28-2006, 04:09 PM
RichR I think your leaving out Luther Lassiter,as Minnesota Fats would say. Nobody could beat him for the CAAASSHH. He played in Norfolk,Va after the War, he never knew people played nineball for a dollar a game till he went on the road in the 50s with Jimmy Moore and Don Willis.####

9 Ball Girl
07-28-2006, 08:48 PM
(forgive my misspellings, if any)

Tennis has John McEnroe
Basketball has Ron Artese
Boxing had Mike Tyson
Futbol has Cauhtemoc Blanco
Pool has Earl Strickland
Hell's Kitchen has Chef Ramsey (ok, not a sport LOL)

You all get the idea. Every sport has one. And IMO, every sport needs one.

marek
07-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Watching Earl play and playing Earl are two TOTALLY different things! Yes, Earl and his antics may be entertaining to the crowd but absolutelly disrespectful to his opponent. Have you ever played good/great player who acted like Earl? I have few times and its one of the hardest thing to do. This kind of opponent tries to put part of his anger into your own heart and its very hard to resist, you have to fight two opponents at the same time. Sometimes you are even afraid that he/she may be dangerous in the means of physical attack to yourself if you say the word againts his/her behaviour.
IMO Earl (and any person acting like this) is mentally very unstable/ill and needs medical attention.

Snapshot9
07-29-2006, 05:16 AM
Every good player around the country, has engaged in banter, jabs, sarcastic remarks with an opponent or rail birds. Sometimes, it is fun loving, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes, it is just personalities, sometimes it is sharking. Trying to distinguish among all of these things is hard to do sometimes, and railbirds, in particular can be damn annoying to a player when the pressure and tension is high, and some people just don't have good manners.
Every local Pool hall has there 'Earl', who can be a delight at times, and a bitch at other times. They take great delight when they win, and are nasty when they lose.
No good Pool player LIKES TO LOSE. That is one of the reasons they are good to begin with.

07-29-2006, 07:18 AM
The first four sports you mentioned are established and successful. Pool is not, and therefore does NOT need anybody calling negative attention to it. We have enough hurdles to leap as it is. GF

Fran Crimi
07-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Accepting assinine behavior is simply lowering the bar. Hey, why not? That's what everybody's doing these days---lowering the bar--- so why not with pool?

Do you know why this kind of behavior is even an issue? It's because too many people who have already lowered the bar in their lives are playing pool (among other things) and don't see anything wrong with bad behavior in public.

Well, yes, there most certainly IS something wrong with bad behavior in public.

It stinks, and should be stopped with discipline and fines. I hope Deno does the right thing.

Fran

Cueless Joey
07-29-2006, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> (forgive my misspellings, if any)

Tennis has John McEnroe
Basketball has Ron Artese
Boxing had Mike Tyson
Futbol has Cauhtemoc Blanco
Pool has Earl Strickland
Hell's Kitchen has Chef Ramsey (ok, not a sport LOL)

You all get the idea. Every sport has one. And IMO, every sport needs one. <hr /></blockquote>
Tennis has no John McEnroe now.
Mike Tyson is retired and his circus act is long gone.
Golf has no Earl .
Poker has Phil Helmuth but someone knocked him out.
Earl needs to get knocked out too.

marek
07-30-2006, 01:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> That is one of the reasons they are good to begin with. <hr /></blockquote>
Good to begin with WHAT? A Boxing session? A Wrestling match? A streetfight?

wolfdancer
07-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Fran, hey, we can finally agree on something....I don't think it's Earl's antics that pack 'em in, it's his play ability.
There was a 14 yr old kid used to play in the local tournaments, and behaved like a 7 yr old, but you could tell he had talent.
He's now a twenty yr old excellent player, with maybe a 10 yr old's behavior.
Golf is often called a Gentleman's game....somehow I can never see pool in those terms.
(Michelle just missed the brass ring by one stroke...in case you was too busy to notice)

DSAPOLIS
07-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Fran

Sorry... but I remember how "fines" and "discipline" worked in the best interest of the sport in the case of Jean Balukas. Almost 20 years later, let's hope we have learned something from all of that.

Fran Crimi
07-30-2006, 01:50 PM
The WPBA was right to fine Jean. She admitted it herself, years later. If she really wanted to continue to play she would have paid the fine. Her reaction to the fine was a reflection of her burn-out and exhaustion at the time. I know this for a fact, and she and I have discussed this at the time as well as years later. I was there when it all went down, and I know the truth, so best you don't use her as an example.

If the WPBA were to let public opinion dictate their every move, then they would still be under the control of the men, because everyone in the industry were yelling and screaming at the time we walked away from Mackey, that the women were crazy to go it alone, and that they would never make it without the men. Imagine where we would have been the last 10 years if we had listened to them?

Fran

DSAPOLIS
07-30-2006, 02:44 PM
"Best don't use her as an example..."

Is that an order?

First of all, I supported and STILL support the WPBA and their decision to walk away from Mackey and go it alone. I don't think I have to explain that any further. I used Jean as an example because I felt like it (with or without your permission) and yes I know what down, just like you do - I base what I said on FACTS - not hearsay - and though we don't agree on all of the issues in regards to what happened and the effect it had on women's pool(obviously), we can still respect each other, right? I sure hope so.

PoolSharkAllen
07-30-2006, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Earl is probably the best 9-ball player in the history of the game. However, his actions have been forgiven for too long. It is about time TD's step up and take some action to force him to behave as well as the other players.
Reports indicate that Deno is investigating the incident. Hopefully, he will take the appropriate, and necessary, action. <hr /></blockquote>

Earl is being hypocritical to complain about Nick van den Berg's gurus talking while he's playing. Today, I was watching the OLN reruns of the IPT King of the Hill tournament. Earl was playing Gerda Hoffstater and was talking out loud while she was shooting. The referee told him to stop it yet Earl was arguing with the referee about his constitutional right to speak being violated.

Earl is very much a spoiled brat who will continue to engage in unsportsmanlike conduct until he gets the appropriate disciplinary action.

Qtec
07-30-2006, 05:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> "Best don't use her as an example..."

Is that an order?

First of all, I supported and STILL support the WPBA and their decision to walk away from Mackey and go it alone. I don't think I have to explain that any further. I used Jean as an example because I felt like it (with or without your permission) and yes I know what down, just like you do - I base what I said on FACTS - not hearsay - and though we don't agree on all of the issues in regards to what happened and the effect it had on women's pool(obviously), we can still respect each other, right? I sure hope so. <hr /></blockquote>

[ QUOTE ]
Almost 20 years later, let's hope we have learned something from all of that.
<hr /></blockquote>

I think you and Earl would make a great team.

Q

Fran Crimi
07-31-2006, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fran, hey, we can finally agree on something <hr /></blockquote>

Wow. Well I'll be....And I thought all those pool playing pointers I gave you were at least a little bit helpful. Sorry to hear you disagreed. You should have told me.

Fran

wolfdancer
07-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Aw, shucks, how can I give credit to a Republican?
They did help though, thank you.... and hope you keep on posting (no more enforced sabbaticals)....always interesting....even if we don't agree.

Fran Crimi
07-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Wolfie, you been hittin' the sauce again? What the heck you talking about? Anyways, this is the pool-related side of the forum. I'm not a Republican; I'm a pool player---And so are you.

We debate here for the love of the game. Nothing more and nothing less.

Fran

wolfdancer
07-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Had to get a little dig in there. Re: the sauce...everywhere I go, there's a two drink mininum, and i try to make up for those that don't follow the rules.
I played in the Bi Monthly "B" tournament here this past weekend.....didn't play too long though, out in three matches.
We had a 14 yr old that would have made the final 16 and been in the money, except that the 11 pm curfew, caused him to rush his shots, and miss two 8 balls, that he normally would have made. Good player....and what a great break...everybody was impressed with that.
A guy in a wheelchair with limited use of his hands, was in the final 8. Amazing...I wouldn't play him for money, unless I got a handicap. And the only woman still playing survived an 0/4 deficit, in a race to 5.....she plays real well.
I don't get much respect up there.....I arrived late and when I asked "How much I went for in the Calcutta" they all laughed.
That there 2 yr old golfer, the one with the better swing then I have can be found on Yahoo video...

DSAPOLIS
07-31-2006, 06:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
I think you and Earl would make a great team.

Q

<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for noticing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jjinfla
08-01-2006, 04:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolSharkAllen:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Today, I was watching the OLN reruns of the IPT King of the Hill tournament. Earl was playing Gerda Hoffstater and was talking out loud while she was shooting. The referee told him to stop it yet Earl was arguing with the referee about his constitutional right to speak being violated.

I was sitting right behind Earl during this match. You are making more of it than it was. Earl was joking. You shouldn't take every thing he says at point value. A lot of it is tongue in cheek. Gerda was laughing.

Jake
<hr /></blockquote>

jjinfla
08-01-2006, 04:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> Earl Strickland engendered controversy during his second-round, televised match with Nick Van den Berg of Holland. Strickland made several comments to Van den Berg’s family members who were in the audience, and things escalated from there. <hr /></blockquote>

I can only imagine what people would say if Earl went off like Grady did in his match when the ref called a foul on him. Now that I think about it I can't really remember ever seeing Earl go off on someone. He just talks, usually to himself, and sulks and conceeds the rack.

jjinfla
08-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Swing batter, batter, swing, batter, batter, swing...

Snapshot9
08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Swing batter, batter, swing, batter, batter, swing... <hr /></blockquote>

I can appreciate that as I was a catcher in Baseball growing up, but the one that always got them was, 'I got a pair of your girlfriend's panties at home'.... lol

toni4ball
08-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Funny you should mention this - a friend of mine here in MPLS/STPAUL is a referee for the IPT - and he put a post on our local bulletin board/forum here about this - he personally had to reprimand Earl multiple times for this behavior... read it on MN Billiards (http://www.mnbilliards.com).

wayne crimi
08-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I love watching Earl play but have also seen a few examples of very immature behavior. In fact, in one of the recently televised IPT shows he actually seemed a little unstable.

However, I'm wondering if we are so used to his blowups, that we are now conditioned to believe that every time he does, he wasn't provoked and that it's all his fault. I'm not trying to make excuses for him. I'm just pointing out that some people actually try to get under the skin of people with volatile personalities like Earl because they enjoy aggravating them and seeing them go off.

I hope they take a very close look at this incident and act accordingly.

Qtec
08-04-2006, 04:26 AM
In case you didn't see it, here is the last 3 mins from the Earl/Nick match.

Go here and click on earl.wmv (http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/) Its a free site so be patient.

You might get redirected bit it will work the 2nd time.

Q......'" thats why I didn't look at you because you got fools for people. Do you see any fools in my corner "!!!!!!!!!!!!![ whoever they are, they are paying customers!]

mattman
08-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the video. I don't see what the big deal was all about. Might not have been the most popular thing to do, but in no way do I think they should pull his tour card. He even tried to apologize, but Nick would not accept. It would have been nice to see what led up to this event.

jjinfla
08-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Nice clip. It is obvious Earl was not happy but he did go to Nick to shake hands. Nick went out of his way to pull Earl back and make a wise ass comment. Not for that, nothing would have happened.

Hell, there have been a ton a times where I played a person and we were both pissed at each other. And players slammed their cues putting them away. And turned and left while I was shooting the last ball. So what?

What's more important is Earl's hair style. I wonder who his hair dresser is?

Jake

Vagabond
08-05-2006, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> I posted about this on Az, and I will reiterate it here - it takes two to tango in these situations. People that post these negative opinions of Earl don't know Earl personally, which sort of diminishes the accuracy of anything they say about him.

Earl plays the game with his heart. He is a very emotional player. He can handily beat 97% of all players in the world, and believe it or not, he is the most decorated player in the history of pocket billiards. Does he have a temper? Yes, and so do you. Sometimes Earl blows a gasket - but 99% of the time it is in part due to the interaction of other people within the same situation.

These clashes of personalities is what sells tickets. If Deno is dumb enough to penalize players for showing true emotion within the heat of battle - so be it. I think KT and Deno Andrews understand that emotions will be high with so much money at stake. Earl is a lot of things, but he puts asses in the seats. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. <hr /></blockquote>

I am in 100% agreement with every thing Blackjack said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PoolSharkAllen
08-05-2006, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wayne crimi:</font><hr> I love watching Earl play but have also seen a few examples of very immature behavior. In fact, in one of the recently televised IPT shows he actually seemed a little unstable.

However, I'm wondering if we are so used to his blowups, that we are now conditioned to believe that every time he does, he wasn't provoked and that it's all his fault. I'm not trying to make excuses for him. I'm just pointing out that some people actually try to get under the skin of people with volatile personalities like Earl because they enjoy aggravating them and seeing them go off.

I hope they take a very close look at this incident and act accordingly.
<hr /></blockquote>

Recently, I expanded my cable tv coverage so I can watch ESPN Classic programming. So this past week, I've seen matches of Earl playing Bustamante, Reyes and other matches dating back to 1993. During those matches, win or lose, Earl was extremely well-behaved and not the scowly, temperamental type that he appears to be today. It seems like the passage of time has changed his personality considerably.