PDA

View Full Version : Tables on hardwood floors

hhsaloon
07-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Does anyone have their table on a hardwood floor? I am putting down hardwood and have been assured that the floor would support the point load from the table. My concern is if the table will slide or be made more susceptible to slate popping due to the floor. I have a 7 Connelly Midura 3 piece slate.

I would prefer not to put a rug under it. I thought about pads directly under the legs, but was concerned about the pads settling and changing the level.

Thanks in advance for sharing any of your own experiences.

Sid_Vicious
07-28-2006, 09:39 AM
SPetty's Diamond is in a HW floor. I just imagine though that the foundation was designed for the addition of the table, but you could PM SPetty and get better details...sid

bsmutz
07-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Sorry, can't help from experience. If you could locate the joists and try to get the legs on or near to the joists I think it would help. I thought of using a large tile under each leg to help spread the load, but then you'd be stubbing your toe on the corner of it all the time. Perhaps a 1"x12" board cut into squares with tapered & sanded edges. I guess it somewhat depends on the legs and how big a surface contacts the floor. Another consideration is the material used for the subfloor. If it is particle board, I'd be concerned. If it's good quality plywood, it probably won't matter as much. Just some thoughts that came to me as I pondered your question...

Pizza Bob
07-28-2006, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't worry about the floor being able to support the load - especially with a 7' table. Even if the table weighed 1200#, assuming the legs are symmetrical, then each leg would only have 300# going to ground through that leg. Like having four beefy guys standing in the same room at the same time. A hard floor (be it hardwood or something else) would be preferrable as it precludes settling. Stop worrying and have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

SPetty
07-28-2006, 01:36 PM
My tables are on a 3/4" oak hardwood floor. But the floor is on top of a slab, so there are no support issues to deal with. I haven't noticed any problem with the wood under the legs of the table.

DickLeonard
07-28-2006, 04:00 PM
hhsaloon from my experience it takes two leveling to get it perfect. There is always some settling and movement especially with a smaller table. It is easier to lift a 7 ft table just get down on all 4s and raise your shoulder an add or subtract. Gold Crowns are easy to level that way, I have never leveled a Diamond but its sides look sturdy enuff to lift with your shoulder.

In the olden days poolrooms kept their tables from moving with half a square of moulding nailed into the floor. Somebody must have come up with a better idea by now.####