PDA

View Full Version : Liberalism

wolfdancer
08-01-2006, 11:06 AM
It's amazing how the Right wing applies the "liberal" label on anyone not in complete agreement with them, then adds special connotations to the word, to debase the people that they accuse.
I wasn't sure that i was a liberal, because I didn't have the requisite anti-American beliefs that have been added to the word by the Right wing Lexicographers, as they attempt to rewrite both the dictionary, and American History....
So I looked it up:

1 : the quality or state of being liberal
2 a often capitalized : a movement in modern Protestantism emphasizing intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical content of Christianity b : a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard c : a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties d capitalized : the principles and policies of a Liberal party
Wow, they was right....I is a f*****g Liberal....and f*****G
proud of it.

Gayle in MD
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
That makes two of us! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tell me Jack, do you think they (The conservatives) approve of Oil CEO's setting our energy policies, and.. Former Oil Lobbyists altering a NASA scientist's paper on his findings in the study of global warming, and thereby, censoring scientific findings from all of us, And... Bush's appointment of a former Oil Lobbyist to the position of Energy Zar. And... Arab countries having the contract to operate our ports?

Does anyone else here wonder how there could be any people in our country who would approve of such actions?

Also, do you think they even know, that under fiver percent of those we fight in Iraqa, are terrorists?

Do they understand what the Republicn congress did when they linked millions of dollars for millionaires, into a measley minimum wage increase?

Do they really believe that blowing billions, and losing thousands, in Iraq, will prevent another alQaeda attack in our country?

Do they see the complete contradiction in Bush sneaking around, to spy on American, while at the same time doing nothing to secure our borders?

Do they really believe that the tax cuts don't favor the rich?

Wow, I'm just trying to figure out just how powerful Fox News really is....

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
08-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Gayle, it's pretty obvious that the blind hatred of America's (re- theirs)supposed enemy,the liberals, their imaginary moral and intellectual superiority, their unquestioning allegience to and beliefs in the Bush/Cheney, two man rule (double jeopardy, to us non-followers) prevents them from questioning
anything like these revelations.....items that would have been looked into by Congress in the past....but not the present one that thinks their main function is to vote strictly along party lines...re..anything that the dynamic duo comes up with, any legislation favoring our "Allies" from Saudi, the temp labor/permanent guest agreement with Mexico, our price-fixing oil consortium,the war profiteering Haliburton, or anything that favors the super rich....who are the main financial support behind the party. There's little time to be concerned about these trivial matters, besides Dick and George said it was OK

wolfdancer
08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Gayle, is there a better example of doublethink, then to take a word like liberal, twist it around around so that it means exactly the opposite of what it originally stood for?

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LIBERAL IS....?????

I'll have to tune in tonite to hear the Minister of Propaganda, Bill O'Reilly, give me the latest "take"

And is Scarborough fair? He had a guest on a week or so ago, tried to make something out of a situation, and when it looked like he was dead wrong, he just terminated the interview.
And speaking of dead:
web page (http://www.truthout.org/docs_01/01.07B.Klausutis.3.htm)

Gayle in MD
08-01-2006, 12:10 PM
did you read the news story about the Republican in California who is urging voters to vote for the Democratic candidate, due to the corruption he has witnessed in the Republican Congress, that the Republican candidate who won the primary has been involved in. He is addressing some of it to the Delay/Abromoff scandal, the horrendous policy on the Marrianna's, and the sweat shops, rapes, and unhumane conditions that Delay blocked legislation on, and the refusal of the Republican congress to implement the appropriate investigations into Bush's law breaking. It's on today's www.Huffingtonpost.com...I (http://www.Huffingtonpost.com...I) can't remember his name. Also, yet another Republican, Chuck Hagle, I think, is calling for a change in the war policy, and an accounting from the administration for all the lies, and incompetence.

There must be a few good Republicans in there...I hope!

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I went to a book signing with a friend, and the book was all about the way the conservatives had transferred their hatred of communism, after the cold war ended, over to liberals. It's certainly alive and well here, lol. But, it's evident when you listen to the Falwells, Coulter's, Rove, Hannity, I could go on and on. I remember thinking in the last few elections, how all the mud slinging character assasinations came from the right. In fact, after the way the right behaved during Clinton's Administration, Republicans really began to gag me.

Watching this administration, though, is the worst I've ever seen. The lies and corruption are so obvious, the power mongering, and the semantic shenanigans, and the absolute pompus attitude of being above the law, display by Bush, and Cheney, well, it just makes it hard to understand how anyone doesn't see through it.

Gayle in md.

wolfdancer
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Gayle, I believe there are many fine Republicans serving in office.....I'd add though that I think our entire political system, it's allegience, it's indebtedness, to special interest groups, corrupts members of both parties, with the emphasis on the party that happens to be in power. Seems no legislation benefitting the avg American can be passed without adding on something of greater value to the influential super-rich, or some costly pork project for a favored company

Gayle in MD
08-01-2006, 12:39 PM
I agree, but when it rises to the level of threatening our National Security, and putting our country at risk, False War in Iraq instead of focussing on BL, refusing to close the borders, Arabs controlling our ports, China bilking us left and right through illegal trade practices, blocking legislation for humane treatment in the Marriana's, destroying the opportunity for families who have been through horrendous financial reversals due to illness, to keep a roof over their heads, cutting money for Veterans, ... the corruption I am seeing far surpasses anything I've seen in my lifetime, in fact, Coulter has stolen the appropriate title for a book about conservatives/republicans, their actions truly are Godless!

gayle in Md.

nAz
08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
reminds me of this old post...

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=npr&Number=159018&Forum=np r&Words=liberal%20whats%20wrong&Match=Or&Searchpag e=6&Limit=400&Old=allposts&Main=158946&Search=true #Post159018

SPetty
08-02-2006, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> It's amazing how the Right wing applies the "liberal" label on anyone not in complete agreement with them, then adds special connotations to the word, to debase the people that they accuse. I wasn't sure that i was a liberal, because I didn't have the requisite anti-American beliefs that have been added to the word by the Right wing Lexicographers, as they attempt to rewrite both the dictionary, and American History....
So I looked it up:<hr /></blockquote>What does your look up place have as a definition for the "conservative" label?

wolfdancer
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Susan, I'm sorry....that would be unprintable here

Gayle in MD
08-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Naz, thanks...I really mis Ross's posts. Don't you?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Gayle in Md.